• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Corks for Ray Robinson cup mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpermg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Corks for Ray Robinson cup mute Reply with quote

I bought a Ray Robinson cup mute a few years ago with Jo-Ral corks. I've never really cared for those corks so I would like to try and replace them. Anybody recommend good corks that would be fitting for the mute?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy rolled automotive gasket corks at the auto parts store and cut them with a sharp box cutter blade to the shape I want. I glue them on with either Gorilla glue or Duco cement and use several key rings of progressive diameters to hold the corks tightly overnight so the glue sets. I use 1/4 " cork and sand down to size, usually. I use 1/8" gasket cork for Harmon mute corks, and on occasion have just glued 2 layers of 1/8" for cup and straight mutes. In fact I have several Ray Robins cup mutes, and I believe 1/8" cork might be enough. They were made to hold the cup close to the bell.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could check to see if the dimensions on these are what you need:

https://www.fhubermusic.com/product-page/foam-backed-cork
mikejarosz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Corks for Ray Robinson cup mute Reply with quote

harpermg wrote:
I bought a Ray Robinson cup mute a few years ago with Jo-Ral corks. I've never really cared for those corks so I would like to try and replace them. Anybody recommend good corks that would be fitting for the mute?

We have some corks that will work well for you. They have a radius on the bottom so they will match the contour of your mute so that the entire area of the surface will make contact. We have also redesigned our corks so that there is more surface area available for adherence, without affecting the overall airflow that passes by the corks. From a frontal perspective view, they are trapezoidal.

We haven't updated the pictures yet:

https://soulomute.com/product/soulo-trumpet-trombone-mute-corks/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: