• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Going to Bloomington Friday/Saturday...not feelin so hot!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys....I'm feelin pretty bad right now. My sound is shrinking, my lips feel numb, and I'm just not happy! I've got an audition at IU in Bloomington this Saturday and I'm afraid if I go in there sounding like this they'll ask me to leave the audition, lol.

In all seriousness....I need help getting back on track...any suggestions?? I'm usually not a short-cut guy, but this is one time where I absolutely need it...

Hep me, surh! I'm stranded....
(Help me sir, I'm stranded....)

Jon
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Jon, we know you have a teacher, so I think we all know what the first step is...

Pre-audition crapitude is a very common affliction. Consider putting the audition materials aside for a couple of days, and focus on playing your fundamentals and lots of lyrical things with the best sound you can. The best way to ensure that these problems continue is focussing on the symptoms (lips not working) rather than the likely cause (head not working). Every note you play between now and the audition, DECIDE to nail the crap out of it and play with absolute conviction.
trumpity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your head into the sound..focus on the music, that's the most important aspect to dwell upon. Hear the sound that particular piece warrants and focus on it rather than worrying about 4 days from kno (be in the now!) It's music and what you are trying to convey to the audience. Get out of the physical, "I feel this and that" type of mind set. Practice wisely and rest as much as you play with a balanced approach to your routine.

Good Luck

Kim W Petersen
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going on friday, why don't you try and get a lesson with Mr Adam. That ought to sort you!
Good luck.
jazzmcazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I am a senior at IU majoring in Trumpet performance. I know how you feel about not feeling so great but I need you to truly understand that everyone here is nice, the teachers WANT to hear you. Actually, Prof. Rommel has told me about how great the students next year will be. I recommend trying an excercise that will help you feel relaxed and gain a large amount of energy. Try standing with your knees bent a bit and most of your weight on them. Start breathing in and out slowly and close your eyes. After that start moving in a very small motion like you are hulahooping to feel a warm feeling in your lower stomach. After you feel that try to keep it. That is the energy you need to help you play trumpet correctly and feel more relaxed! It helps me a lot. I know that many people have their tricks and this is simply mine but what is different is that its not on the horn, it helps relax the body and mind chatter that go along with trumpet playing. Ok good luck this Saturday you will do fine!!!
GAL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Just curious. How'd you do on your audition at IU? I'm sure you played very well!

Gene
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ryan,

You been studying with cord much lately?

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jazzmcazz

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Never took a lesson with Cord. I learned it from a guy in NY.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

I hope it went well.
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny - Cord used to teach the exact same thing in masterclasses, I figured you got it from him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: