• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tzimon Barto (Pianist)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start, the link:

http://www.tzimonbarto.com

Second, and except from his site bio:

"Since his appearances as pianist at the Vienna Musikverein and the Salzburg Festival at the invitation of Herbert von Karajan, Tzimon Barto has repeatedly brought dynamic and highly acclaimed performances to audiences worldwide.... Barto's career spans several decades featuring performances with the New York Philharmonic, the Cleveland and Philadelphia orchestras, and the Chicago, Houston, National, and San Francisco symphonies, as well as the orchestras in El Paso, Anchorage, Evansville and at home in Orlando to name just a few. He is also a regular guest at the Ravinia Festival where, in 2003, he celebrated his 10th anniversary of summer appearances.

Barto is a frequent guest in Europe, with recent appearances at the White Nights Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia where he performed with the Kirov Orchestra conducted by Valerie Gergiev, the Staatskapelle Dresden, Gewandhaus Orchester Leipzig, NDR Hamburg, ONE Madrid, Orchestre de Paris, Czech Philharmonic, and Wiener Symphoniker. Tzimon Barto's numerous recording for EMI include concerti by Ravel, Prokoviev, Rachmaninov, Liszt, Chopin and Bartók. He has also recorded Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue", Manuel de Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain", and solo recitals of works by Chopin, Schumann and Liszt, as well as a disc of popular encores, featuring music ranging from Bach to Joplin."

Now, the explanation:

The orchestra Jon Kratzer and I are in has an upcoming performance with Tzimon. He'll be performing Greig's Piano Concerto, backed up by the FSYO Symphonic Orchestra. Is there anyone out there who's seen this guy live? Our conductor (Andy Lane) has been speaking pretty highly of the guy in all aspects, and has told us to expect great things from him. I'd just like to confirm all these claims.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him several times in Houston, once in Grieg. He's good - very dramatic.

The only strange thing is his name. I believe he's from Florida and was originally Bart Smith, but needed something more exotic for show business.

JU
NYCTPT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with him a few weeks back. He was alright. Nice guy. HUGE guy!!! His name was originally John Barto Smith. One fo the flute players in the orchestra was at Juilliard with him.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is huge - into bodybuilding. He's got chops, though not everyone's cup of tea...

We went on several tours with him (Houston), and we didn't think it was a great night unless he got the resident piano to "buzz" - he beats the hell out of a piano...

J
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this guy beat the crap out of a steinway should be fun to watch....

I hope I can remember to come in right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: