• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leadpipe Buzzing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachenos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched most of the threads in this forum but I cannot seem to find any specific lead pipe buzzing ideas or excercises ... any chance someone could offer some?

Thanks,

Zach
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've seen a site or two which has some downloadable files of the Adam routine-including exercises on leadpipe buzzing. Can't recall which one's right now, but I probably did a word search on "Bill Adam" or something. Keep looking!

Here's two.

http://www.trumpetlessons.net
http://www.roth-music.com

JC.

[ This Message was edited by: NCTrumpet on 2002-03-21 22:17 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take the tuning slide out, put your lips together in the mouthpiece, take a great big breath, and blow. The note that comes out on most trumpet/mouthpiece combinations should be a concert Eb (trumpet F). Keep the air accelerating through the sound until everything settles down. You can tell this is happening when the sound from the very start of the note to the finish is resonant and very consistent.

After doing this for a minute or 2 you just put the tuning slide in and try to sustain that kind of consistency of airflow and tone.

Extremely advanced players can accelerate the air enough to eventually play some of the other notes that are "slotted" on the pipe by the laws of physics. However, for most people it is enough to play the fundamental.

Remember the tone is the teacher-even on the leadpipe. Trumpet playing is just breathing in and breathing out with a picture of the sound in your mind.

[ This Message was edited by: PH on 2002-03-22 08:07 ]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I don't know that I ever heard Mr. Adam or any of his students call this leadpipe "buzzing", since most of us believe that in an ideally balanced playing setup the lips do not buzz (except as a sympathetic response to the resonance of the standing wave created inside the instrument by the transfer of energy from the accelerating breath).

"Whew!"

What you do is blow the leadpipe and let the breath activate the sound in the pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: