• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Got It!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got Jerry Callet's Tongue Controlled Embouchure. It took about five re-readings of his book book and a lot of trial and error with my tongue in different positions relative to my teeth and lips, but I got it! I'm hitting Gs and As above high C, and I think I can go a lot higher as I refine the process.

Callet is right! If your tongue is in the right place, it takes less air than I ever imagined to play above high C.

I've been playing the trumpet since the early 1950s and this is the most amazing thing. I can't believe I've been at it this long and am just now figuring this out!

Outta my way, Maynard! I'm comin' through!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Man!
I'm sure you got plenty of responses from the Callet forum.
I don't know if I am using SC 100% correct but I do know it was by employing Callets techniques that got me past the dbl A ceiling.
So was it something in particular that you did, or more of a feel that you finally figured out?
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jim! Thanks for sharing your experience. I just got back from a lesson with Callet yesterday (see my posts on the recent Callet forum). He even had me putting my tongue more forward than I already was...the tip is resting on top of the lower lip and the front/center is articulating off the top lip. But I feel it really is dependent on the person getting the feel for what Callet is saying...he kept repeating to me to keep the tongue even more forward/bevelled and flat to try and point to the feel....once the feel clicked for me, I knew what he meant and now am practicing with this somewhat new feel of the tongue being very forward. It's like the tongue hardly moves at all. All the best, Lex.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, A big congrats. As moderator of the Callet forum I continue to see sporatic uprisings that suggest that Jerry's teachings are hocus pocus or such. Many of these people feel that Claude Gordon's use of the tongue is "legitimate" but Jerry's is somehow not. I know these comments primarily come from people that have never bothered to actually study the Callet method. Just the same, it's great to see long time players like yourself letting the world know that IT WORKS! And once you get it, it's not some crazy convoluted gimmick. It's just a more dissaplined approach to the embouchure that pulls the tongue, lips, cheeks, and breath into one efficient package so elements no longer fight and pull against each other. Many great players have accidently fallen into this over the years, but Jerry actually teaches it. Once again, a big congrats, please keep the readers on the Callet forum posted of your progress. Best regards, Kyle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

It takes a while usually to make a breakthrough after playing for sooooo long. I went 40 years before making the transition.

Now, I sit on the other side of the debate, amused at all the red-faced, angry people who claim this stuff doesn't, or couldn't really work simply because they never tried and perservered to make this discovery.

Maybe one day they'll join us. I hope so.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Hope your hornfest is going great. Let us know!!!

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2004-02-21 12:54 ]
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe one day they'll join us. I hope so.

Tom,

It's not that some of us don't try. About three years ago I made an extended, determined effort to make the switch.
I found that the book descriptions and the on-line advice (and I got lots of advice!) weren't enough.
If I could find a TCE teacher in this area, I'd be happy to give it another try, but that's the only way.

Tell you what: Come on down and I'll put you up for a week. We'll play, hang out by the pool, have some fun.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I'd LOVE to! It would be wonderful to meet you after all this time.

Same holds for Georgia. If you are ever travelling to Savannah--then on to Atlanta, I'm right on your way (on I-16). Coming from the Cape, my home would be a good stop over spot for the night.

I wish you well in your efforts. It took me forty years to have the "light" come on. Actually, what I was doing before and after were pretty close . . . only a few minor things had to change. However, those minor things caused me not to be able to even blow a note for a couple of days . . . and those minor things gave me the breakthrough!!!

SC, TCE, BE . . . heck I'll bet a purist in any of the three would say, "Tom, you are doing THIS wrong or THAT wrong." However, it wouldn't matter now, for the light has come on for what I have to do while living in THIS body with THIS set of chops. Once you discover it, your quest is over. Same with equipment.

Hang in there. The English language vs. how our chops work makes it difficult for us to get those breakthroughs.

Warmest regards,

Tom

PS: I always enjoy your posts too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: