• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How avoid tension?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, and I think the most important, problem for me is tension in my breathing. I have a kind of tension when I'm inhaling. I'm not relaxed. So the exhaling is also a problem, Pat called this isometric tension. Opposite muscle groups at war.
When I have taken some air, I just can't start imeddiately a note. This creates tension. After that I have problems with the attack (stuttering).
What kind of exercises should I do to avoid tension and relax my air?

Karel
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karel,

There was a similar topic in the Fundamentals folder titled "Really Tense..." at:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=13364&forum=2&4

See if some of those suggestions will help you. I think you might benefit greatly by using the breathing bag prior to your practice session as a tool to release "tension". I know that it made a big difference for me.

Once I began approaching the horn from a more "relaxed" (less tense) perspective I found that many aspects of my playing changed for the better. When I found more resonance in my sound through a more relaxed approach, I discovered that clarity improves and over/under shooting notes happens far less frequently. By releasing the tension, I allowed my overall system to work more efficiently (i.e. hear the sound in my head and then produce the sound on the instrument). It won't happen overnight, but it will happen.

I'm not sure if these suggestions would be specific to Bill Adam's teaching, but I know that they are effective in addressing your problem. PH can let us know if these suggestions differ slightly from what Bill Adam teaches.

Good luck!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a really good book called "The Art Of Breathing" by Nancy Zi. Off hand I would say that your attempts to be relaxed in your breathing are what is causing the tension. Isometric tension is the result of attempting to control muscular activity through concious thought. Observe the breath that occurs when you yawn, or as you take a drink of water. This is an unconscious breath that happens as a result of yawning or taking a drink and is totally relaxed. With the thought that the end result is the sound, you must focus your concentration on that sound. Whatever happens from that point forward becomes a natural reaction to that imagined sound. Sing a note. Observe the breath you take to sing. You will see that as you are concentrating on the note you are about to sing, the breath becomes a part of that sound and is done on a subconcious, relaxed manner. Now think of that sound again but instead of singing that sound, play it using the singer's mind. This will take some time, but all good things do.
Karel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, thanks for your advice. I've read the posts about tension (also on TPIN) but I couldn't open the website windsongpress.org to read more about the breathing bag. I will try this again next days.
Billy, today I've worked on the "breath + sing" exercise you described. You're right, when I want to sing I don't think or so about anything but the song. There is no tension when I'm inhaling. After those exercises I picked up the trumpet and I could breath and play in one movement! It's pure a psychological thing. That creates the tension in my body. I've found the book you mentioned on Amazon. I think I will order it. I've read also some things about a new book by pianist Kenny Werner called "Effortless Mastery". One of the subjects in the book is about the negative effects of tension on your playing. This seemes also a interesting book to me.

Karel.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karel,

Good for you! Mr. Adam always reminds us that trumpet playing is 90% mental, 9% air, and 1% everything else. Another thing you can do to loosen the air is to put the bell of your horn about an inch under water then play a second line G. Observe the air bubbles. There should be a steady stream of small bubbles. Once you accomplish this, sound that note blowing like you did under water. Kenny Werner's book is very good. I use those concepts also.
trumpity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Billy B,

Giving away all the good ones..

Nice stuff!

Kim Petersen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: