• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Quitting band my senior year?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben folds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's my story. I began trumpet the end of my freshman year of high school, just long enough to get down some fundamentals before marching band started up. I did pretty well (better than all the people who switched to trumpet from other instruments), and when sophomore year started up I was sitting 3rd chair in my school's lower band, and 4th out of 4 in our jazz ensemble. After the first semester I challenged my way up to first chair in concert band, and was told I would be playing 1st part in marching band that summer. So marching band comes, I'm on 1st. Our band director loses his mind. He yells at us every single day, threatens us with extra rehearsal time and cancelled competitions, etc. It's just not fun. Junior year starts and suddenly I'm sitting 2nd chair in our school's top symphonic band (not bad for a second-year player, heh). It's here that I realize what a terrible band director we have. All he knows how to teach is marching band, and that he does poorly. He yells at us every day, usually with little reasoning behind it. He treats all of us like ****, and, according to other teachers that I'm very close with, he treats all of them like **** too.

The icing on the cake was about a week ago. 1st grading period report cards come out, and- oh look, I've got an F in band! Nevermind that I haven't even been playing trumpet for 2 years and could probably be sitting first chair. Nevermind that I know more music theory than my band director (I once asked him for some help with a piece of music I was analyzing, and he didn't know how to do it). Nevermind that I'm the hardest working member of our band program (not being conceited, many people would agree with me). I got an F because my last trumpet teacher quit on me- stop showing up for lessons, stopped returning my calls. And my band director requires for the top ensemble that we turn in 3 'private teacher forms' each grading period. Since I had no teacher, I had no forms. So myself, along with 25 or so others in our band, failed.

OK, sorry about all the rambling, I just had to let off some steam. So anyway, if I were to quit band and not be in it my senior year of high school (I'm currently a junior), would this hurt my chances of getting into a good music program at the university level? I would still be taking private lessons, and I'd be involved in the Louisvilly Youth Orchestra, my school's Chorale (top choir), our after school singing "class," and a community big band at a local jazz nightclub.

[ This Message was edited by: ben folds on 2004-03-05 10:59 ]
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are REQUIRED to spend money on a teacher in order to pass band? (That's not "constitutional") Is there a principal or assistant or guidance councelor you could appeal too? The town school board?

If there is no one that can help, don't worry about it. You have plenty of other qualifications and activities. At the university level they understand that sometimes local music depts may be screwy, not fit into a working person's schedule or even phased out for lack of funds. Tell em you had to work in the bigband and it conflicted with the marching band. Since the school band was "holding you back" you had to (with anguish) "give it up". Outside bigband trumps school band. Your dissapearance is the only comment you need make to the director, esp if you get into a music school.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like there is more to this you arent telling....

why did this guy stop giving you lessons?

why didnt you seek out another teacher?

if you are on the level about this Pfrank is right you will not be hurt by this to much if you have alot of other groups to play with, but if the real problem is what you are doing then that will follow you no matter where you go.

[ This Message was edited by: thelurker on 2004-03-05 12:48 ]
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, if this were me in college I'd be failing with no hope of passing choir or jazz band, and I'm a top member in the former and one of the goods in the latter. Anyways, I'd have both you and your parents appeal to the school's principal or whomever calls the shots and see what you can do to better your grade. Also, if you can provide an e-mail for this guy, I'd be happy to drop him a letter to inform him how unacceptable his actions are as a high school instructor. That can be powerful if executed properly, and I'm capable of some crafty talking. Let me know if you'd like me to do something.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How in the world does Anyone get an F in Band?

All you have to do is show up everytime and not talk back. Or be disruptive during breaks when the instructor is helping another section. (our director booted the Bari sax player for noodling. And gave him the option of returning with a public apology) That's an automatic B.

Geez...
baroquetrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, my junior year in high school. I'd suggest you do the same thing I did...get out and never look back. Personally, I got many, many more gigs outside of high school band, besides enjoying myself. Also, I agree that independent experience is valued more than high school music programs (in most instances)...if you are serious about playing the trumpet, go somewhere that you can focus on that without politics...or without having to focus so much on politics.

-Pat
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would appeal your grade to the Prinicple or higher.
Even if you quit band, you still have a "F" recorded for your grade. That is real hard to ignore. Your GPA will suffer and will show on your transcripts. I don't know how much emphasis music schools put on GPA'a, but I needed at least a 3.6 GPA to get into a good engineering school and that F would of been a killer.
Good luck.

John
Mean Liberal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To a certain extent you have to let the band director do his job, which may involve some yelling at times (ALL good band directors yell at some point). Giving F's to band students without an extremely good reason is a bit suspicious, however, so I must agree that leaving the band maybe the best solution for you.

Whether you leave or not, you must find a new teacher if you plan to continue playing trumpet. Also seek out other performing ensembles, perhaps a community band, youth orchestra, or local drum corps. A lot of times churches will look for high school players to do services as well, so look out for gigs like that. If all these fail, find some other brass players and start a quintet, or a drum and bass player and start a jazz combo!

Bb Trumpets: Bach Stradivarius 37, Mt. Vernon Bach Mercury

Mouthpiece: Schilke 11
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez man, are you sure you didn't kill someone and set fire to the school?
I've known guys to ge F's in band, but they didn't show for an entire semester. Even the few people that'd come to band once a month got C's. I'm also going to back up the option of getting out of it, if you can find other places to make music.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my daughter, a flute player, was a high school senior she did not want to be in marching band, and the director said she could not be in concert band without marching, so she quit. The football team did well, so the band was marching into the second weekend of December, and then went to the Rose Bowl parade in January. She used the time to get ready for music school auditions which started the last week of January (she also played in the local youth symphony) She got into her first two school choices which were Northwestern and Eastman, so the fact that she wasn't in band didn't hurt and may have helped. The audtiion is what was important. --She had to get her letters of recommendation, however, from people other than her band director.--She did miss being with her band friends through, and I think it also bothered her that she could not compete for All-State
ben folds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful information everybody. As for hurting my GPA, well our grades are only set in stone at the end of each semester- and since this was just a report card of teh first 6 weeks, it's more of just a "progress report." So I still have time to bring up. I do currently have a new teacher, and a great one at that, plus I'm going to begin taking occasional lessons with Dr. Wing at Morehead State soon, so I'm fine in that category. Yes, I know band directors have to yell occasionally (I get it at LYO and in chorus from time to time, and reasonably so), but when I say yelling, I mean 3-4 times out of a week we get yelled at. The sad thing is, just about every staff member at my school hates the band director, except the principal. Our principal loves the guy (my guess is there must be some major brown-nosing going on).

To both of the Pats- that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Having an extra three hours every day, plus the whole weekend to myself without marching band would help immensely when college audition time rolls around. I'll also be kinda sad to not be able to try for All State on trumpet, but there's always All State Choir!

[ This Message was edited by: ben folds on 2004-03-05 16:26 ]
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I take my band director for granted. The worst thing that ever happens to us is we go to lunch 4 minutes late (band is always right before lunch). And you get an A+ if you show up. Plus there's a lot of extra credit opportunities. 95% of the people have 100%'s and several have well over 100%, lol.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Folds,

I believe what you say. Had a mean band director years ago in school myself. Several in fact (well maybe just two).

From what you say this might be one of the exceptions to the rule of not exposing such an a--hole. Why don't you consider "outing" the fool? I mean a forum is provided here. Might not do much good except to embarrass him but you might feel better. Might also be providing a service to those folks who might run into the moron in the future.

Test your clout.

In other matters: Don't worry about college references too much. You can easily get one from your guidance counselor and any future or past private music teachers. Colleges are mostly interested in your grades and SAT's. The music program at a university will decide on accepting you based upon your audition. Relax and keep practicing.

I got accepted as a trumpet major at UMASS years ago without ever having played trumpet in my High School band. The guy that ran my High School Music program was another sphincter valve who insisted I play trombone the whole time. Name of this miserable C/S ? JOSEPH MUSUMECI of Andover MA.

You can run, but you can't hide Joe... Just be glad i didn't print your phone number.

Lee Cahalan.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a director with many similarities to the one you described, and heres what I did. I'm not sure if its applicable to you, but you might want to think about it.

I took lots of advanced courses in highschool, espically math and science, so by my senior year they were about out of classes for me to take. Our school system offers a joint-enroll program for advanced seniors with teh local community college where we can take some academic courses, a few people (me included) take their entire senior year at the college. Although it had never been done before, me and a friend of mine (wonderful flutist) decided we wanted to play in the wind ensemble at the college, and because we were full time there they managed to schedule it in. the band director there is wonderful and the wind ensemble is very good. Another plus is college ensembles are much more professional than HS ensembles, and in general everybody is there for the music. (the college is also too small for a football team, so no marching band!!) I would ask your counselors to see if an option like this exsists, even if you want to stay at your HS most of the day.

Stuart
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's scarier is that some of the music educators that are like this are the same ones picked to be ajunicators for a lot of the area and festival trials! Believe me, I've met a few in my travels and my kids have encountered some in their auditions.
Ben, don't give it up. If your story is true, then go to a counselor or some one who will listen and ley them know. It should stick out pretty much with fifteen others who also got an "F"! I'm sure someone in charge would want to know why!! (just my opinion)

[ This Message was edited by: OCTA-C on 2004-03-06 13:25 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately try to challange that F through the proper channels. I cannot imagine a teacher REQUIRING private lessons as part of a grade. If this cost you or your parents out of pocket for lessons, this is just wrong, as the educator is shifting his job onto someone else. Private lessons are always a good idea, but that is beside the point.
Brlee2003
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man I was in high school for the past four years and I know how it goes. I have a friend who has been studying piano for 14 years and often gets upset in band because everyone else is so far behind him as far as musical knowledge and ability goes (he plays multiple wind instruments in band as well as piano). I suggest you conform to your band director, otherwise the rest of your high school career will be miserable. I also suggest that you stay in band because that's probably the most fun you'll have some days. Also, for all you trumpet players that were never in choir, choir rules! I joined my hight school choir my senior year and had a blast! So many nice ladies in there. It's also easier to make music as a whole ensemble for the most part because there aren't so many technical constraints compared to band. We also got to perform with some high level orchestrals and compete in some high level contests. Hope everything goes well!

[ This Message was edited by: Brlee2003 on 2004-03-09 12:57 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess things have REALLY changed since I was in high school 35 years ago...

Maybe it was also the particular high school I attended...I dunno... I think a lot has changed everywhere, however...

All I can say is that had I quit band in my senior year, it may have been one of the biggest mistakes I would have ever made.

But, neither did I did face any of the challenges you face, so my opinion is most likely irrelevant.

I had a terrific time in high school band, and my senior year was definitely the best. But, I had a lot of FUN, and it sounds like that isn't what you are experiencing...sounds very unpleasant, in fact...
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit band my senior year because of an internship, but it was partly because of the teacher as well.

Well, since then, I practice what i want to practice, and I have gotten a lot better because I am not wasting my chops playing in school so I can practice 3 hours at home
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the band director get to you. A guy who directs around here used to really get to me. Once I missed a cue - and (foolishily) following the habits of the first trumpet in another band - I was folding my legs. I was only playing third, but he got really angry and yelled at me in the middle of the song. I left after the song was over and nearly had a good cry in the bathroom. Fortunately I was able to convince myself he was just a generally loud person, and I was ready to play on the next song. I apologized for missing the cue...and now everyone makes fun of me for it, because I guess I sounded kind of funny. lol. But I think it impressed the director. Now he's a pretty good friend because he's come to respect me as a musician, and you learn to kind of look past all his toughness. I was about 14 when that happened. I probably really stunk, but I don't think it warrants yelling like that.

I'm homeschooled, which made me think I couldn't do the district competition. Thanks to a really nice teacher around here I've found out that I can, and I have for two years. In MA you just need someone with a state approved license, and I know a good number of them through tthe community bands.

Sorry about your bad experience! It can be discouraging, but just keep at it. If you practice, and really try your best, that's all you can do!

Hang in there.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: