• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GR rep told me that the 65M has the same inner diameter as my Giardinelli C5. A GR distributor told me that the G66 has the same diameter as the C5. GR's promotions emphasize the importance of measuring from certain points to ensure consistency of production. However, I have thus far received no answer as to how these mouthpiece experts can reasonably suggest which GR pieces are comparable to the C5 without knowing how and from what points Giardinelli measures its pieces. I would be interested in any information as to which GR piece most closely approximates the C5's inner diameter when BOTH pieces are measured the SAME way; at $105 plus tax plus shipping plus a no-return policy I want to make an intelligent decision. We all know that different diameters can "feel" the same depending upon other design factors and I'm hoping to find a GR piece with a comparable feel to my C5. Thanks, Jim
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about measuring your current mouthpiece at the points that GR measures them at? A couple minutes with some dial calipers would answer your question. I would definitely not let this stop you from buying a GR. I just got one and it plays unbelievably easily and in tune. As far as the price, I think they are a bargain for their quality. I've been a Monette mouthpiece snob for the past 14 years and I think these GRs are the first mouthpieces that I've played that I consider comparable in intonation/evenness. While GR doesn't use this term, I'd say that the GR have the same "constant pitch center" as a Monette, at least on a Bb trumpet. Contact my friend Bruce Lee at NorthernBrass if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Rich
GR Tech

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I do understand your frustration with getting the correct size. I apologize if this has caused you frustration. Maybe your situation can be a learning situation for others so I will respond. There is one question that needs to be answered here. What is the inside measurement of the Giardinelli C5 at points r4 or r2? We don't have your exact mouthpiece so it will be very difficult to guess.

Both answers, 65M or G66 could be correct depending on the distance down from the rim plane. The only way to have the best match is to get your mouthpiece measured using a CMM, Probe Scanner, or optical scanner. A dial caliper will get you close if you just want a ballpark number but if you want real accuracy and a fit that is closest to what you have now I would use another way to measure. I can measure this accurately using many different methods and the dial caliper would not be one of them. I have a method that will give you this number is less than a minute but you need to invest in gauges, any good tool and die shop will have them. It is difficult to find the Y distance. I have found that using the numbers provided by certain manufactures could have a variation at r2 or r4 by as much as .020". Experience tells me it is best to measure your actual mouthpiece.

I feel the problem is not with the numbers GR provides but with the numbers the other mouthpiece maker provides. Many will not provide these numbers so measuring is the only way to get them. Then you must ask yourself if the numbers are accurate. They don't measure to the same parameters and it is impossible to compare when working on a radius such as the bite. You must have an X and Y dimension. X is the diameter and Y is the depth you measure from the rim plane. The parameter r4 is -.032" from the rim plane.

Please check our website drawing, our dealers may have a return policy and we will be adding more dealers soon. Northern Brass is a dealer and has completed a 40-hour training course in our facility, Bruce does a great service to his customers.

By the way if you order before April 30th the current price of $85 for a standard silver mouthpiece is still in effect. Thank you for the questions. Email us if you need more assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: