• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help for healing a cut on my upper lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR_DIRT_MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a cut probably from my mouthpiece on my upper lip. It's on the under side of my lip where the right side of the rim pushes against it. Do I just need not to play for however long it takes until it heals? Is there some medication or cream that will help? Could use any suggestions that might help speed up the healing process. And yes I know, I need to use less pressure! Thanks.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a good idea to not play on an injury if possible. Mouth injuries heal very, very quickly (fortunately). Whether you play on this one depends on how bad it is, and exactly where it is. Even a minor one could cause you to shift your mpc position a bit, which may not be a good thing for somebody starting back (an assumption based upon posting in this forum). Stability is important, why add one more variable?

For cuts inside the mouth, I use Orajel (or Oragel, I forget). It's an antiseptic with an anesthetic to deaden the area. I like it because, without the anesthetic, I tend to absentmindedly "worry" the area with my tongue or a finger, making it worse and taking longer to heal.

HTH - Don
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I ever had an external cut, but I'd recommend keeping it from drying out. I'd may be use "ChopStics" on. The manufacturer claims it is for "injuries". I think keeping moist and flexible is your key. If it dries out, I'd assuem it's gonna crack and saty sore.

Best of Luck!

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
DR_DIRT_MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. thanks for the suggestions. Here's what worked for me. I stopped playing and picked up some store brand ora-gel type stuff. I used that for a couple of days and it helped me to not to feel the cut. I then picked up an aloe vera plant . Putting the gel from the plant I was able to squeeze out directly on the cut area really did the trick in about one day! I now have the plant sitting on the window in the den and have been putting a little on each night before I go to sleep. Anyone else ever try this? We used to have an Aloe Vera plant in the house that I had used the gel from the leaves on burns in the past. So I guess it works pretty good on lip cuts too!
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing for healing the lip is a good dose of natural vitamin E in the oil filled tablets. Take 1000 units every couple of hours internally for several days and bite one open and use it externally on the lips or skin. The oil keeps the cut from cracking and the vitamin enhances the flow of oxygen to the lip to speed up healing and reduce scar tissue.

Lay off the horn for 48 hours if you can. This allows the lip to heal and helps to prevent embouchure problems from favoring a different part of your lip. Then play through an easy practice session the third day and go back to normal on the forth.

Studies were done in the USSR in the 70's where high doses of vitaimin E enabled sever burn victims heal quickly with little or no scaring due to the increased oxygen flow in the blood. Scar tissue forms when the area healing can not get enough oxygen.

This also works great for chapped lips which normally signals an imbalance of vitamins in your body brought on by colds, poor eating habits, or a little too much fun after that last gig.

As a side note, I have often used vitamin E prior to concerts because it is a natural way to enhance your body's use of oxygen. I found it increases the time length I can play a long tone by about 25% and seems to calm my pre-performance anxieties.

[ This Message was edited by: Gilligan on 2004-05-08 21:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gilligan on 2004-05-08 21:06 ]
DR_DIRT_MAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if an Aloe Vera plant has a lot of vitamin E in it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: