• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schenkelaars, Eidenhoven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Schenkelaars, Eidenhoven Reply with quote

Anyone here own one? I just bought a mint one .468 bore, I believe...it is a great horn...much better than a "student" Schenkelaars I had once...

Not much or almost no info on the Google machine.......can anyone tell me a bit more about this amazing horn?
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take good care of her, the lead pipe of my Schenkelaars cornet looks more like a recorder
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Take good care of her, the lead pipe of my Schenkelaars cornet looks more like a recorder

Hello, Manuel. A Spanish name & living in Holland...? Hablas espanol? I speak a few languages & always love when I meet people w/interesting backgrounds...so, what happened to the lead-pipe? did it rot? I have many trumpets but LOVE my "new" Schenkelaars Eindhoven.......are there many of them there? Americans seem to not know anything about them!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non hablos español, ma posso parlare italiano but actually I am dutch pur sang haha!

Schenkelaars was a musical instruments factory, not just brass, they made saxophones as well, I remember my younger brother played a Schenkelaars tenor saxophone in the local wind band, I played trumpet, later I switched to cornet.
Schenkelaars had several lines: regular (no name), Topaz and Prestige, maybe others as well but that I don't know.
The last mentioned are fine instruments, the regular where from low quality; my old cornet is a Olds Ambassador copy made from very low quality brass, as I already said, she suffers heavily from red rot. Topaz I don't know, our local wind band didn't have them (we used to borrow the instruments).
The trumpet I had before I switched was not an Ambassador copy. The cornet I bought for like 50 bucks when the wind band bought new instruments 35 years ago.
Hub van Laar worked for Schenkelaars before he started his own business.

Schenkelaars trumpets pop up regular on the Dutch online marketplace www.marktplaats.nl for little money, over here in The Netherlands nobody is much interested in them but that says little about the quality of the Prestige models, my Prestige Flugelhorn is actually a very good instrument, I bought her for €100.-
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non hablos español, ma posso parlare italiano but actually I am dutch pur sang haha!

Schenkelaars was a musical instruments factory, not just brass, they made saxophones as well, I remember my younger brother played a Schenkelaars tenor saxophone in the local wind band, I played trumpet, later I switched to cornet.
Schenkelaars had several lines: regular (no name), Topaz and Prestige, maybe others as well but that I don't know.
The last mentioned are fine instruments, the regular where from low quality; my old cornet is a Olds Ambassador copy made from very low quality brass, as I already said, she suffers heavily from red rot. Topaz I don't know, our local wind band didn't have them (we used to borrow the instruments).
The trumpet I had before I switched was not an Ambassador copy. The cornet I bought for like 50 bucks when the wind band bought new instruments 35 years ago.
Hub van Laar worked for Schenkelaars before he started his own business.

Schenkelaars trumpets pop up regular on the Dutch online marketplace www.marktplaats.nl for little money, over here in The Netherlands nobody is much interested in them but that says little about the quality of the Prestige models, my Prestige Flugelhorn is actually a very good instrument, I bought her for €100.-

Bene, amico mio, io sonno nato a Roma e parlo Italiano; ma o avuto la sfortuna di vivere nell'america con lo svergognato di Trump....anyway, thanks again for your info. My large bore Schenk has no model designation; only a design of two hands holding a music baton.....incidentally, I have owned a Van Laar B6 for years & like it, but, the Schenk is far superior in my opinion......it must be the "world's most underrated trumpet" as non of my other 25 or so trumpets can equal it in tone, ease of playing, and valve action. It is easily the best trumpet I have ever played in my 55 + years of playing! You Dutch should feel very proud that you beat everyone else at trumpet making......only one other trumpet I tried, but was too stupid to not buy , impressed me as much- it was the very first batch of Monette trumpets that came to the USA. I actually ordered it (it was only $2,500.00 then) but the music store that had one a client had ordered (the one they let me try...), thought I was "kidding" & never ordered it for me.....a while later, they jumped up in price to double the amount & I backed out......now, they are 4 times that price!!!!!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardi Claudio!

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1396849789
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardi Claudio!

https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1396849789

Tante grazzie amico! pare d'esere un gran fliscorno......
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have "misspoken" as to my trusty old Hub Van laar B6....it IS a very good trumpet, I just think that the Schenkelaars, Eidenhoven plays a bit easier & more open........both horns are GREAT!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: