• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benefits (if any) Of A Gold Plated Mouthpiece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've loved the feel of the gold mouthpieces since getting my first one, a Conn Connstellation 9CW back in the '60s. Later I switched back to silver for years (because that's what was on a mouthpiece I liked and played for about 20 years) but went back to gold about four years ago.

I won't switch back again. The gold simply "feels" better when I'm playing on it. Naturally, its less "sticky" feeling than the same "piece" in silver, so there's less chance of it pinning the lips down.

A couple of months ago I had Lee Adams, of Trumpetchops.com, gold plate all my mouthpieces I use that were not yet gold plated . . . including a very special 1911 Boston 3-Star cornet "cookie cutter" mouthpiece that I dearly love playing on. It made that wonderful mouthpiece even better!

Lee is fast and does excellent work. He can be reached at: http://www.trumpetchops.com/serv_goldsilverplating.htm

Man . . . I love the feel of gold mouthpieces!!!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play primarely on Gold however I am playing silver on my cornet piece at this time. I guess I play what is considered wet so I don't notice a big difference between the two.

However once I do decide on a cornet piece I will have it gold plated if it is not already. Like Tom said and I agree, I just like the feel.

I would say give the gold a try. Only you can determine the benifits as far as your playing is concerned.

As far as looks go, gold is cool!!

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only mouthpiece maker I've seen talk about Gold making a difference is GR, simply because of how precise his pieces are. When he has a piece gold plated, he intentionally makes the rim and cup micro-smaller. Whether that makes a difference, you c an judge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jasonlijuesheng

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: silver conducts heat faster, not gold Reply with quote

I think the reason why most people think gold feels warmer is that gold is expensive and expensive = good. But this is not the case in some situation including this one.

Silver is the BEST HEAT CONDUCTOR in metal and second best amount all matters because it has a thermal conductivity value of 427 W/(m*celsius) while gold's is only 315 W/(m*celsius), meaning that silver conduct heat 1.4 times faster than gold.

Also because the air keeps warming up the mouthpiece, meaning that the mouthpiece has the same temperature as your lip, so it DOES NOT MATTER at all if gold can conduct heat better than silver or not!

And lastly, gold and silver usually has a thickness of 0.0001-0.0005 mm, meaning the heat transfers so fast between the gold/silver and the inner layer of mouthpiece that it doesn't matter what''s the plated material.

But it's worth to mention that gold do have a slightly smaller(only a tiny bit) coefficient of friction than silver. Plus gold is chemically more stable(but the hardness is very low, so it can be scratched easily), so it's more likely to maintain longer than silver(but if the maker of the mouthpiece cheated by making the gold layer thinner or you scratched the mouthpiece then that's a whole different story).

And after all, a good trumpet player make much more difference than a good equipment
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold doesn't tarnish so you don't need to maintain the finish to keep your horn looking good. On the other hand, the layer of gold will be much thinner than silver, so the finish will wear faster. A horn should be silver plated first before gold plated, but I don't know how thick the silver plate will be. If you aren't getting top quality gold plating done, or buying an expensive horn like a Schilke, then you might have wear problems. The sound won't be affected either way.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any piece I am going to play often I get gold plated. The schmutz is easlier to get off and they don't tarnish.

Feel the same on the lips so not that reason.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold mouthpiece matches the color of my Stomvi gold lacquered caps (hee,hee) otherwise I'm good with either one.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold mouthpieces will wake 12-1/2-year old discussions.
Silver3B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where can you get this "Medallion liquid gold plating system?" I can't seem to find a source on the web.

You can find it on Amazon.com

musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the feeling of the gold on my lips. It's softer and seems to seat better.

Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
patmikemeth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold plating is much better imho
especially when you think to be Wynton !
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm indifferent to the feel. I play gold, silver, and stainless steel cups and to be honest, don't even think about the feel of each.
I guess that I like them all just fine.
William B.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As _Don Herman said: "A gold plated rim has a lower coefficient of friction than silver. It's "slicker"". I believe the intended benefit is to allow easier expansion and contraction of the embouchure. This would result in greater flexibility when playing a section that goes back and fourth from high to low. It would also be less fatiguing than the stickier silver mouthpiece since you wouldn't be fighting that resistance moving between registers. I must admit I am guessing here, as I have not had the chance to play one yet. I am hoping that some of the vendors at our state's in-service conference will have one for me to try and I also hope my wife doesn't mind me sinking $100+ into one if I fall in love with the thing.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William B. wrote:
As _Don Herman said: "A gold plated rim has a lower coefficient of friction than silver. It's "slicker"". I believe the intended benefit is to allow easier expansion and contraction of the embouchure. This would result in greater flexibility when playing a section that goes back and fourth from high to low. It would also be less fatiguing than the stickier silver mouthpiece since you wouldn't be fighting that resistance moving between registers. I must admit I am guessing here, as I have not had the chance to play one yet. I am hoping that some of the vendors at our state's in-service conference will have one for me to try and I also hope my wife doesn't mind me sinking $100+ into one if I fall in love with the thing.

Players that like a wet set may agree with you. But there's no shortage of dry set players who would consider this a disadvantage. Count me among those who do not prefer the feel of a gold rim. My current piece is a gold plated underpart with a screw-on silver plated rim.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
William B.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I will care for it at all or if it will be a must-have item. I, like yourself Charles, may not like it. I do know that there is only so much understanding that can be gleaned from reading. I think I've done my homework. Now I want a test drive.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love gold plated mouthpieces.
They just feel right and make playing a joy.
They are very beautiful.

tom turner wrote:
Hi,

I've loved the feel of the gold mouthpieces since getting my first one, a Conn Connstellation 9CW back in the '60s. Later I switched back to silver for years (because that's what was on a mouthpiece I liked and played for about 20 years) but went back to gold about four years ago.

I won't switch back again. The gold simply "feels" better when I'm playing on it. Naturally, its less "sticky" feeling than the same "piece" in silver, so there's less chance of it pinning the lips down.

A couple of months ago I had Lee Adams, of Trumpetchops.com, gold plate all my mouthpieces I use that were not yet gold plated . . . including a very special 1911 Boston 3-Star cornet "cookie cutter" mouthpiece that I dearly love playing on. It made that wonderful mouthpiece even better!

Lee is fast and does excellent work. He can be reached at: http://www.trumpetchops.com/serv_goldsilverplating.htm

Man . . . I love the feel of gold mouthpieces!!!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
William B.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one. Loved it. Got it.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point I heard that some people who have a bad skin reaction to silver don't have a reaction to gold.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: