• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3C vs. 3B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetProbs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: 3C vs. 3B Reply with quote

I have been experimenting with different mouthpieces to figure out what works with me and what sounds good to me. I've been playing a Bach 3C for a while and it gives me a brighter and loud tone but I think it's too bright. I picked up a Bach 3B and it gives me a warm and rich tone. I don't know how to decide. I'm just wondering, in the opinion of you on the forums, what's your opinion on each of the mouthpieces.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of things that could be taken into consideration, but it boils down to what you like the sound of better. Do you like the brighter tone, or the warmer, richer tone? If you find a mouthpiece that allows you to create the tonal concept you have in your head, use that one.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 3C is understood to have a particularly shallow cup when compared to Bach's other C-cup pieces. This could make it generally less warm and rich than some other pieces.

I personally think the 1.5C sounds much more satisfying than the 3C, but my particular older 3C rim was way more comfortable. So I had the two pieces threaded and joined by Bob Reeves. FWIW the modern 3C rim doesn't feel much different than a 1.5C so you might give that a try.

I don't doubt that the 3B will have very attractive aspects. One of my favorite players, Thomas Gansch does amazing things with a Bach 3B Megatone. If the 3B rim, deeper cup, and the bigger backbore don't give you problems than I'd image the 3B would be a good choice for you, though I would still advise you check out the stock 1.5C which may be a better general purpose piece.

And if it needs to be said, not all trumpet playing needs to be warm and rich. You might consider keeping the 3C for gigs where you want a bit more bite.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily use a 3b because I like they way I sound on it. I went to it after many years on a 1 1/2c. I find the sound to be similar but for whatever reason the 3b works a little better for me. It is a totally personal thing though.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you are coming from. I use the 1.5 C with a 25 throat. Look at the Kanstul comparator. The 3 and the 1.5 are the same size rim with a different cup formation. The 1.5 25 throat cuts down my bright sound. I have a natural bright sound. Too many times I get the hand from the orchestra director.
trptman2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commonality between a 3B and 3C 'cuz they both medium wide based on some resources I found

https://sites.google.com/site/musiccurios/reviews/mouthpiece-guide
http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/specshub/specs/specs_bach_throats_backbores.html
https://www.dillonmusic.com/MouthPieceCharts/bach_trumpet_chart.html
http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=47
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Bach 3-series mouthpieces, the 3C is fairly shallow and is a bit bright sounding. The 3B has a wonderful sound, but was very tiring for me to play. The 3 no-letter has a very nice sound and is easier (for me) to play than the 3B, but still takes more effort than the 3C.

For me, the perfect 3-sized mouthpiece is the Curry 3C. It's as easy to play as the Bach 3C, but is more comfortable and has a nicer tone than the Bach.

Last edited by Dale Proctor on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:

For me, the perfect 3-sized mouthpiece is the Curry 3C. It's as easy to play as the Bach 3C, but is more comfortable and has a nicer tone than the Bach.

Or the Curry 3B. if you want a bit more cup volume.

That Curry 3 rim is almost too comfortable - they're good pieces, well made (consistent) at good prices... if you're living in the 3C neighbourhood, they're pieces that really should be tried.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same back and forth relationship with the 3C and 3B. I think for me, the 3B closely matches the sound I respond to, or hear in my head, while I'm improvising. It is a little bit more difficult to play in the upper register, for sure. But I think it is easier to work on range and endurance and maybe sacrifice a couple percentage points there, than to be unsatisfied with your fundamental sound. It is always a give and take with mouthpieces.
A good thing to do is record yourself practicing on both mouthpieces. Just play whatever you feel, scales, excerpts, etudes, changes, whatever style of music you play. Listen back a few hours later and whichever sounds better overall is probably what you want to stick with.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Considering the Bach 3-series mouthpieces, the 3C is fairly shallow and is a bit bright sounding. The 3B has a wonderful sound, but was very tiring for me to play. The 3 no-letter has a very nice sound and is easier (for me) to play than the 3B, but still takes more effort than the 3C.

I wonder why you found the 3 less tiring than the 3B given that the 3 is significantly deeper than the 3B?

I agree the Curry 3C. does have a nicer, slightly warmer sound than a typical modern Bach 3C. Another option would be Mark's 3BC. as while it is deeper than the 3C. it is not as deep as a Bach 3B since its cup shape and depth is based on the Bach 1B which is not as deep as a Bach 3B.

Personally, I'm doing most of my playing now on my copy of Arturo's Mt Vernon 3C (very similar to the Curry 3C.), but for classical music, I have a wonderful mouthpiece Jim New made me a few years ago that has the rim size and shape of Arturo's MV3C matched to a Bach 3B cup with #22 Throat and #24 Symphonic backbore.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I wonder why you found the 3 less tiring than the 3B given that the 3 is significantly deeper than the 3B?...

My best guess is the more open backbore on the 3B is the main cause. Both the 3C and the 3 have the standard 10 backbore, while the 3B has the 7 backbore. I finally gave up on the 3B and sold it.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times a (too) shallow piece can be more tiring to play than a slightly deeper one, IMHO.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 3C vs. 3B Reply with quote

TrumpetProbs wrote:
I don't know how to decide.

Go into the most resonant room you can find: bathroom, downstairs basement, some place where the sound rings.

Play arpeggios andante and musically. Your ears should tell you.

Also, get some buddies to give a listen. Let them tell you.

I play the 3B because it sounds best with me and horn I use.

Also, when I play 2nd or 3rd, leaning into the part with a bit more air it is very easy to increase volume when needed especially during moderate tempo or slower chord changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: