• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Haydn vs Haydn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know there were two Haydn trumpet concertos until someone asked me which one I was looking for. What is the most popular one, and how do they differ (what is each pieces charateristics?)?

Bonnie

Ps. I'm liking this forum

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Haydn that most people are talking about is the one by Joseph Haydn. It's in Eb, classical, 3 movements, and is probably the most commonly played solo work for trumpet. I'm betting that this is the one you're looking for.....

The other one is a baroque piece by Michael Haydn and is extremely hard unless you have pretty solid piccolo chops.

Hope this helps,
Alex
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actually Three Haydn Concertos!

The Joseph Haydn is the one that you hear day in, day out, by every trumpeter under the sun. Very rarely on the instrument it was written for (keyed trumpet), but that's another matter altogether.

Michael Haydn wrote two concertos. The one in C is the more common of these. It ascends into the high piccolo register (Brandenburg territory!) and is worth getting to know if you enjoy playing very high piccolo.
He also wrote one in D major. This is HIGH! On an A piccolo, it ascends to the high C!!!! It is a beautiful concerto, but is mind-blowingly difficult, purely because of the range required. If you have the chops for it, it is great fun to play (oddly enough I was practising this piece when I read this post - bizarre coincidence!), but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody for regular playing - a great way to stuff up your Bb chops!

Both the Michael Haydn concertos were written for natural trumpet - if you think they are hard on a piccolo, try them on a nat!!
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didnt know M. Haydn wrote 2 concertos. Maybe I'm just ignorant. Any recording of that second, lesser known, one?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are thinking of the D major one as the rare one, Wynton has recorded it (on "Baroque & Classical Music for Trumpets"). I am fairly sure there are others, but this is the first that springs to mind from my collection.
I am not the hugest fan of Wynton's baroque-style playing (as can be read in other threads), but he plays this piece very well. Not so certain on some of the ornamentation, but heck, he's Wynton - he can get away with it!
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I've seen both and not differentiated between the two. The one on marsalis' cd is the only one I can recall hearing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: