• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Serious look into schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambow87

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be starting my senior year next year. I am pretty good at the trumpet right now and plan on getting a lot better (hopefully, hehe, I practice a lot now). I really need to start looking into schools. I am really interested in playing my trumpet in college (as a degree) and maybe a degree in composition. I'd also love to get my master's right after bachelor's if possible. Here is a list of schools and I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the trumpet teachers or music programs that could aid me in this?

(listed in no particular order)

West Texas A&M (went there for band camp, loved it, Dr. Tackas (sp?) is an amazing trumpet player and teacher)
University of North Texas (director went there, not sure about the teacher)
University of Texas San Antonio
Berklee (have a friend going there, he says that I could definitley get a scholorship there if I keep up my hard work)

Any others that I should take a serious look into? Thank you and any info is helpful! Thanks again.

Sam
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of music do you want to play? Berklee is a new/contemporary music school, and UNT handles a lot of jazz as well. I don't know much about the other schools you mentioned. If you're looking for a good place to get some all-around help, I'd suggest Indiana University--John Rommel is a great teacher. Just be sure to find a school that's a good fit for you, rather than a reputation as a good school for jazz, a good school for orchestral, etc.....if you just go to college and shed you a** off, you'll improve drastically, no matter where you go. Just my $.02.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
sambow87

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I would love to do jazz. That would be my first preference
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "legit" player and I live just a few blocks from Berklee. While I'm sure they have some jazz going on there...it seems to be taken over by singer/songwriter types. After Manhattan and other conservatories got into the jazz scene it seems like all the good players have gone that route.? But hey, if you like to stand out in front of a building and smoke..berklee is THE place to be.
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to sound like a recruiter, but you might check out University of Louisville. They've got a pretty decent jazz program and some great teachers, like Jamey Aebersold and John LaBarbara. Plus, they really need trumpets in the program, so you could probably get some nice financial aid. Just a thought....

UNT and IU are still good picks.....Pat Harbison teaches at IU, and the UNT staff is all great, I think Mike Steinel is still teaching there.....

Hope this helps.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
sambow87

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to check out University of Louisville. Would really love to be a great jazz player some day. I plan on working on hard through my last years of high school and all through the rest of my life at the trumpet because its something I love to do. Thank you And don't feel like your sounding like a recruiter, I need suggestions! Thanks.

Sam
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd put in my 2 cents here. Come to West Texas A&M! I'd love to have you in my studio!!! Are you coming to band camp again this year? Drop me an email and we can touch base if you like. It's very flattering to see someone write something nice about me on here! I appreciate that very much! Best of luck in your search for schools!

-Bill Takacs
wtakacs@mail.wtamu.edu
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice how you have a lot of choices in Texas public schools, and I'll offer my $.02 and tell you about SHSU (Sam Houston State University). I looked into a lot of different schools my senior year, one of which was WTAMU, and after having a lesson with Randy Adams, I rejected my scholarships from UT, UH, and even Northwestern to come here, and I think it's the best move I've made. The trumpet studio is GREAT here, not to mention that Adams is probably the nicest guy you will EVER meet. We have an excellent wind ensemble and jazz ensemble that I am a member of both, and just by checking out other studios from different colleges in Texas, I'd rate ours in the top three, we're not talked about much because this new trasnformation of good musicians is pretty recent and is rapidly increasing. Two years ago our trumpet studio consisted of 8 mediocre students, and since Adams became full-time, it's grown to 32 with some phenomenal players. Just in two years he worked miracles. I hope you really consider here, as a trumpet player, I recommnd this place above all else.
sambow87

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i've more then considered WTAMU Thats one of my top choices at the moment. Band camp was amazing and such, and unfortunatley I can't make it this year (will be in Oregon for the whole month of july for an internship) but I will be able to go the end of my senior year. Nice to hear from you Dr. Takacs, I'll send you an email soon

Oh, i've also been looking into the University of Louisville, seemed like a very nice place to go. I'm interested in doing a double major in education and performance. Thank you all for your replys

Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: