• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValveMaster
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of interested in getting a new mpc, maybe in the future, but I'm looking for a good all-around one. I play mostly jazz, and orchestral stuff.
I have a Bach 7c, and that seems a bit small, I'd like a bit more room.
Anyone have any suggestions?
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try moving to a Bach 5C, generally the next line in Bachs. It is a nice size, good for all around use, and pretty comfortable.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is try a bunch and gather your own opinion. Does the cup feel too narrow or does the mouthpiece feel too restrictive? If the cup is too narrow, try going wider diameter. In my experience, don't believe anything the Bach manual says in the first place (and I'm still trying to figure out what a robust embouchure is, and I guess George Graham musn't have one ). I've found that the 7C, 5C, and 3C (no 6C experience) are actually the same diameter just with different rims and cups. The 5C has a larger cup than the 7C generally, and the 3C actually has the smallest cup of all of them. Also, the 2C is generally the same mouthpiece as the 5C just with a more bucket shaped cup. However, the best thing to do again is try a ton of mouthpieces (not just Bach) and gather your own opinion. If the mouthpiece feels too restrictive, try a deeper cup in the same series or try enlarging the throat or backbore. If you check out my equipment in my signature, I actually had an old large-lettered 7C decapitated and threaded for Warburton backbores. The 6* played much like a standard Bach 10, but for some reason it made my Elkhart Bach sound like a Bel Canto. Must be my head going insane again.
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to try a bach 3C - a great all round mouthpiece and one that will probably develop your embouchure better and give you a better sound than a smaller piece. If it seems to work buy one as they are inexpensive and put your old mouthpiece away and give yourself time to settle into it. Do you have a trumpet teacher who can advise you? - because if so I would listen to their advise first.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Bach mouthpieces go the 3C is a very efficient, all-around mouthpiece. You might want to consider a GR or Northern Brass Mouthpiece. Bruce Lee at Northernbrass.com is very helpful in finding a mpc. that fits your needs.

Mike
music matters
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the above post that GR make fantastic mouthpieces. If you settle well on the bach 3C (which as I said above I think is a great all round mouthpiece) and decide thats the size that suits you then you could later try a GR as for me they beat the Bach 3C hands down. I went from a Bach 3C to a GR 3M and am very happy. It depends how much money you have at your disposal. My advice is either go with a Bach 3C and see how you get on or contact Brian Scriver at GR and ask his advice and try some GR's out.
ValveMaster
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I'll try a Bach 3c and see how that goes, but not at the present moment.
I want to save up if I want to try out some mpc's, and I'm gonna build some model rockets in the summer w/my friend, so it'll probably be awhile before I get it.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I've got some great model rocket stories, but nothing on mpcs, sorry... How's that for off-topic? - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: