• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jet-Tone Leon Merian Personal Mouthpiece "diameter"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, who knoes the diameter of a LMPG mouthpiece, can compare to?

Also if you have other details.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, there was just one on e-bay yesterday and I asked the seller the same question. The answer was: about a Bach 2, so it's bigger than I expected.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Bach 2 so can't comment, but I've had an LMP for a while now. It's big, that's for sure -- mine feels bigger than my Bach 1B, though the rims are so different that it's hard to say for sure (obviously I haven't measured them). It has an interesting cup design, sort of a double cup with a shallow upper part tapering into a fairly deep V. I believe it's a bigger throat, too. I'll have to pull it out at home and double check. It does not feel "conventional", at least to me, so it's something you'll have to decide if you like or not. I got mine from Leon with some comments that were helpful -- again, have to dig them up. If I remember, it's sort of a big mpc that you play more like a smaller one, meaning it's pretty efficient and thus may take some getting used to, at least for somebody like me using a Bach 1B, Schilke 14, and FO 3 (deeper mpcs) most of the time. I have a hard time playing it, but honestly haven't given enough play time yet (and getting bashed a few weeks ago with a baseball hasn't helped!)

The sound is very nice, imo, and is one of the few mouthpieces (only one I have) that I'd describe as "versatile" due to the range of sounds (dark to laser) you can get on it. I attribute this to the cup design.

I (and others) have also discussed it here on TH before, so a search might help find more data.

HTH - Don
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Jet-Tone Merian mouthpiece page at the following URL:

http://www.jet-tone.com/merian.htm

Couple years ago I was playing the J-T Merian line and thought they were great. Finally I decided to downsize and sold all four. The Merian Personal was miles too big for me (even than) so I never tried it. On the other hand, if it's anything like the standard Merian line, it's probably a good-to-excellent piece.

If you're still not sure, contact Mr. Merian directly via email. He's a really great guy, an attentive teacher, and he'll answer all your questions!! I originally found his email address after doing a search on http://www.google.com

Good luck --<Rick
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Merian line is .640 to .660 ID.

That makes them in the 2C to 3C range (generally). But ID is only one measure and is a rough gauge at best. Most people are surprised at how little difference there is between and 3C and a 5C. But it is definitely smaller than the 1 to 1/2 C range. I think considering them about a 2C is pretty close. The LMPG is on the bigger side (.660) and is probably right in between a 1 1/2C and 2C. With a V cup, it may even feel a bit bigger

Jim

[ This Message was edited by: MUSICandCHARACTER on 2004-06-04 16:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: