• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grumble...Monette...Grumble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's the thing...everyone I know always rips on Monette's. And people who used to play on them now won't touch them, usually citing something about the tonal character being one-dimensional and the throats being so huge that everything sounds/feels great at first but when you get tired, look out!

And most symphony players, especially "The Greats" don't play on Monette equipment (or not anymore .

So here's my problem...
I tried a Monette E12 yesterday on my Schilke E3L. The tone was similar to what I was using (Bach 6BM underpart (26 throat, 24 BB) with a Parke Merkelo Rim - approx. 3C. But the feel and intonation were SO much better. There was absolutely NO comparison.

I talked to a friend and he said that's how Monette's reel you in - they sound and feel great at first, but then...

So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these, ESPECIALLY someone who doesn't use Monette's on big horns.

FYI, I normally play on a Parke mouthpiece that is around a 3C. The cup is slightly shallow because I have a dark sound that I like to get more sparkle in. I would mostly use the Eb for solo lit, occasional chamber, and even more rarely for orchestral playing (perhaps more if I get a different bell or horn).

I'm concerned that even if it doesn't tire me out the E12 rim size might be too huge for me (playing on a 3C rim and all). Thoughts? Thanks.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a monette with my committe med. bore... it was great at first, until i realized the shank was too short and the bb was too big, so the tone wasn't as focused as it could be. Gerry Lopez at Dillon's had the same issue, and turned me on to the Kanstul M-series (monette copies)... turns out the copies are better than the real thing for conventional equipment -- they're slightly (like 1 or 2 mm) longer and the bore (not the bb) is a little tighter, and now my horn sings (and my guitar gently weeps because i don't play it any more).
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Monette B4S & B4L as well as the Kanstul B4S & B4L. The B4S pieces were very similar but I do prefer the Monette over the Kanstul. The Monette B4L piece played much much better than the Kanstul B4L - no comparison there. Not sure why but thats what I found to be true with the pieces I have.

[ This Message was edited by: BrassClass on 2004-05-28 18:25 ]
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After one year as a comeback player, I switched from a Bach 1.5C to a Monette B2 at about the same time that I moved from second section in a community band to first section. I've never had any problems with endurance using the Monette. I've used it with both an old Connstellation (the real thing, not the recent, misnamed UMI product) and a Bach 72/25LR. It works great with both horns.
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that a lot of Monette mouthpieces are for sale at any one time on eBay. I know several pros who do play them, and think they are the best. I also don't think people would pick on Monette if the cost was reasonable. It is only a mouthpiece, why should it cost $200 to $300? 24K gold plated, yea I know. GoldChops will do that to any mouthpiece for $40.

I have not played a Monette, but I have played a Kanstul copy. To me, they seem like a solid mouthpiece. A good mouthpiece. Not the perfect mouthpiece for everyone. But at the price they charge, they should make a big difference. When you can buy a GR, or Asymmetric, or Rudy Muck, or a Bob Reeves for much less and they may play just as well or better, Monette is going to be scrutinized simply because of the price.

M&C
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played on Monette mpcs and found them to be very good.
as i began playing longer hours I did start getting tired.
at that time i didn't have the money to continue purchasing Monette gear so i switched to Bach at a fraction of the cost.
now I'm not getting so tired.

I'd say it depends on your pocket book.
Monette makes a really great mpc but so does Bach.
bluenote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that whether you like ANY brand of mouthpiece, be it Monette, Bach, GR, or whatever, depends on you. I don't worry about what other people think or play; they're chops aren't mine.

My advice would be to give the Monette a try for at least a month. The Kanstul copies are, IMO, the same mouthpieces. Another suggestion (and I'm sure you've thought of this) is to look on Ebay for a used Monette 'piece, so you can resell without losing money.
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach 3C before the Monette B4S. I didn't need a month to adjust - or an hour for that matter. The first few notes I played, my trumpet teacher and I both knew I was on to something. The pitches locked in, much better tone and less 1st & 3rd slide adjustments needed. Maybe I just lucked out.

[ This Message was edited by: BrassClass on 2004-05-31 16:14 ]
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play only Bach. Trumpet and mouthpiece.
On my Bach mouthpiece I had it drilled out , so I guess I have always liked a big bore.

I play on Monette mouthpieces all the time now.
I find that when I get tired I tend to choke off and play sharp.

I really cant play on the Bach stuff anymore. I have tried to switch back just to see, and I can't.

I am a firm believer in Monette. Since I changed to Monette My playing has improved a lot. I can't say for sure that it is the equipment but I really think so.
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesphus07,
Just a friendly suggestion. The E1-2 is a huge mpc in comparison to your Bach 3C. Although Monette does advocate using a larger diameter MPC when you switch, I think a jump that big might hurt more than help, especially on Eb. Why not try the E2 or E4. Size-wise, the E4 is closer to your Bach 3C, but you may find that sound-wise the E2 will be better all around. I honestly LOVE Monette Mouthpieces. I am not going to give a sales-pitch to anyone, but they work well for me. Keep us posted on what you find. I am curious about the Monette E Mpcs...
-efwd
PiccoloTrumpetVCM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fined the monette E2 works wonders on my Yamaha Eb. I use the SCT2 thought to add more meat to the sound.

Food for thought

Chris
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought monets work best with the monet horn
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
knfjazzcat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a BL LT mouthpiece, and I really think it's superior to other mouthpieces. I tried many a mouthpiece before settling on the Monette one. Oh, and as for their claims about better intonation and a better sound . . . they're all true. So for all of you out there that spend all this time ragging on Dave and advising other people against his stuff, I think you should stop and think of the addage: "To each his own."

Taylor Chicago Standard Mark I
Taylor 3

Brownie Lives!

[ This Message was edited by: knfjazzcat on 2004-06-03 21:34 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: