• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

herb alpert

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziggy2172

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what brand trumpet Herb Alpert plays?
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't he play a Chicago Benge through most of his recording career?
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's right Dave, with a Bach Mouthpiece (6C?). He had a Kanstul a few years ago when he did that Wind Player interview and I'd suspect he has a Kanstul Chicago these days. Just a guess.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb's favorite horn throughout his career was a Chicago Benge built in 1951. He said it was "mellow and melodic." He used this horn on all his recordings. His mouthpiece is a Bach 8B with a Bob Reeves Backbore.

His flugelhorn preference varies though he prefers the Kanstul 1525 Copper bell and a Couesnon.

Hope this helps.
ziggy2172

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I knew I came to the right place to ask. Just curious.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said during an interview in Windplayer magazine that he used his Chicago Benge on EVERY recording he has ever made. He had it refurbished and goldplated a few years ago.

Mike
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-18 21:30, Trptbenge wrote:
He said during an interview in Windplayer magazine that he used his Chicago Benge on EVERY recording he has ever made. He had it refurbished and goldplated a few years ago.

Mike

Cool. He's got a Kanstul in his hands for this picture on the Wind Player.
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Alpert should put down the paint brush just for awhile and come back and tour with somebody or hook up with the surviving members of the Tjuana Brass Band... I would pay money to see him again..I love Rise..
ziggy2172

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite as well. I also like Route 101.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would immediately buy tickets to any kind of Herb Alpert concert. Three of the six original members of the original touring Tijuana Brass - as seen on record covers from the 1960s - are deceased. But, it would be absolutely no problem for Herb Alpert to reassemble a band of the best session/studio players in existence again. I did see Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass back in 1968 and 1969. And again in about 1974 when there was a brief "resurrection" of a second version of the Tijuana Brass. (Herb Alpert disbanded the original group in late 1969, if my memory is correct). My preference was always for the original Tijuana Brass from the sixties. This included Herb Alpert and Tonni Kalash on trumpets, Bob Edmondson on trombone, Lou Pagani on piano, Pat Senatore on bass guitar, John Pisano on guitar, and Nick Ceroli on drums.

Many of the Tijuana Brass recordings were performed by studio musicians with Herb Alpert playing all the basic trumpet parts. The group pictured on albums did not come into existence until about 1965, when the popularity of the first several recordings necessitated a specific group for live performances and touring. These musicians that made up this touring group that are pictured on record covers from the sixties had varying degrees of involvement in the recordings from 1965 - 1969. However, much of the recorded sound that is associated with the Tijuana Brass was provided by many of the studio players of the times.

Let me tell you that those concerts that I saw back in the sixties would lay to rest any idea that Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass were nothing more than a "Mickey Mouse" band that couldn't play much for real. The shows they put on were outstanding and the sound was first class, especially for the times. Herb Alpert had six of the best sidemen that money could buy back then, and they were absolutely excellent in concert. I can still remember to this day the excellent sound and programs that they did. The emphasis was on quality entertainment and excellent sound. And, they did it, and people loved it. The concerts I attended were HUGE sell outs. First class all the way.

Herb was a very classy, tasteful player, who followed the Raphael Mendez philosophy of making every note "a solo..." He never played anything that was technically difficult, high, or challenging, but every note he did play was just about perfect. Herb could use the trumpet to evoke various emotions and feelings from the listener. Tremendous tone and control - there are many players with good tone, but Herb had not only good tone but also a UNIQUE sound that only he has - and the ability to the use the horn like a master singer uses the voice.

Plus, absolutely a master of the stage and showmanship. If there was ever anyone who had defeated the appearance or effects of stage fright, it would be Herb Alpert. A consummate showman, and completely relaxed on stage. He was a model of stage presence and composure.

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-07-19 20:06 ]
trumpettyler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he makes guest appearances on other players discs now and then. I used to play back in the day with a current popular 'smooth jazz' artist, Brian Culbertson (we toured Europe with our high school jazz band in '86, when he was in junior high). Anyway, on one of his recent albums, Herb plays on the first cut: http://brianculbertson.com/disc/ns/nice.html

Don't have the disc, but I thought I'd mention it.
V1-man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was one of the reasons I started playing trumpet. Wasn't he the one with the chick on the cover wearing whip cream???
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE was she wearing it?

I always thought he was a stud........

Seriously, I heard him do the National Anthem a few years back. I think it was a Super Bowl. Very straightforward, did not chip or miss. It was Perfect!
And from what I heard, he has more money than Midas. I still listen to his old recordings.

M.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/A/Alpert/herb_alpert.html

Bueno.

Not a bad album, either.

Mike
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What album?

(And it was shaving cream, not whipped cream).....

Easy Mikey..........

Must........stay.............focused.............on..............your..............work..........

[ This Message was edited by: Mikeytrpt on 2004-07-20 12:17 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something I have thought for a long time about Herb Alpert and his trumpet playing. It is my opinion or observation - I do not know how much truth or factual accuracy there is in this kind of observation.

Herb Alpert has spent years and years in recording studios making records. He has had the opportunity - if you want to use that word - of hearing himself recorded thousands of times. And, he has been recorded in quality recording studios by professional engineers. I feel this can have a pretty big impact on a player's development over a period of time. I think Herb has probably been "fine tuning" his playing for a long, long time as a result of his recording experience. He has probably been adjusting his playing for for sound, accuracy, focus, intonation, articulation, etc, for years in the recording studio, having the opportunity to hear every note he has ever recorded - and that's a lot of notes. He has no doubt adjusted his playing techniques as a result of hearing himself all the time for so long.

As a result, his playing is extremely well executed and accurate due to having heard himself recorded so much. He has greatly reduced all the inconsistencies from his playing like inaccurate/unfocused tone placement, faulty intonation, bad articulations, etc.

I think his extensive recording experience has helped him develop a much higher level of accuracy and precision than the average person who does not have that kind of extensive recording experience.

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-07-20 13:39 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good thing about Alpert was his fine ear for a "hook." He never got much respect from the professional community, but probably inspired as many lifetime players as anyone. A&M, his and Jerry Moss' record company, produced some groups that enjoyed wide appeal like The Carpenters, Police, etc.

Mike
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he never reached the status of other great trumpet players, he will always be one of my favorites, Herb Alpert-Definitive Hits was the first instrumental trumpet CD I bought I will always love this mans music.............He's Great
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

Although he never reached the status of other great trumpet players, he will always be one of my favorites, Herb Alpert-Definitive Hits was the first instrumental trumpet CD I bought I will always love this mans music.............He's Great
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: