• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Method book to use for beginning trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarKee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a trumpet and am learning to play it. I am an older beginner and am not in a band and do not plan to be in one. I play my trumpet at home strictly for my own enjoyment. I also play some other instruments. I have always loved the trumpet and decided to get one and learn how to play it. I have 3 different books. One is the Standard of Excellence Book 1 and the other two are Essential Elements 2000 Book 1 and the Elementary Rubank Method Book. I would like to know which one of these books would be the best for me to work with or if there is some other book that would be better for me. Right now I am kind of switching back and forth and I'm not sure that is such a good thing to do. Keep thinking maybe I should just stay with one book. I would sure appreciate any help anyone could give me about these books and which one I should use.

Carol Keeton
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intelligent switching to cover all the bases is no problem. However, it may be tough for a beginner to figure out what's best...

If you're really interested, the very best thing you could do is to get a few lessons from a good teacher.

IMHO - Don
CarKee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I did take some lessons from a young person who plays the trumpet in his school band. He used the Standard of Excellence Book 1 to teach me and I find that I use it more than the other books since that it what this young person suggested I get. I guess what has me a little confused now is that someone told me recently that this book is no good for me because it is too band oriented so I was just wondering if I should be using something else. I may take some more lessons later maybe in the fall.

Carol Keeton
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only beginner books that I'm familiar with is the Essential Elements book, as that's what I used when I went through. I would think, however, that any of the books that come with CD would be good as it will give you a sound model to follow. I would also suggest the Rubank Elementary Series. The Rubank series takes a more "old school" approach and, frankly, is more demanding, thus being a better book than any of the modern methods.

I, also, would suggest taking lessons from someone (ie, a college student or older person). Eventhough you're only playing for yourself, you want to do it right or else the frustrations you'll run into might discourage you to the point of quitting. Check out http://www.jazzbrew.com which is the site of an adult man starting trumpet for the first time.

Good luck!

[ This Message was edited by: mafields627 on 2004-07-21 11:04 ]
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Standard Of Excellence is too band orientated, Carol. That's what I used. As a band we didn't use it much. It was more individual lessons with the teacher.
CarKee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement that the Standard of Excellence Book is not all that band oriented. I have some other books, but the Standard of Excellence book is the one I use more and really like best.

Also, I have another question concerning mouthpieces. I recently got a new trumpet - a Blessing Ml-1 silver-plated and it came with a gold-plated mouthpiece - Schilke 15A4A. I also have a Blessing 7C mouthpiece. As a beginner, should I be using the 7C mouthpiece or just which ever one feels best to me? I seem to be getting a pretty good sound out of the gold mouthpiece.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 15A4a is a very shallow mouthpiece, with a very tight backbore. It has a rim that is rather wide as well, but the rim is less extreme than either the cup or the backbore. In general, my advice to beginners is to avoid extremes in equipment, so I would recommend the 7C over the 15A4a to start with.

Cheers,

Tom
CarKee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to Tom

I think you are right about the mouthpiece. Since I am very much a beginner, I think I probably should be using my 7C mouthpiece.

Carol Keeton
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend checking out the Edwards-Hovey method for trumpet. It comes in two volumes. However, you'll want to have a private teacher, or else your progress is greatly inhibited.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 books you have are good, and I lean more towards the Rubank, as that is what I started on back many moons ago. I also suggest getting some piano books of pop tunes from the time period of your choice. If you don't perform with other players, it is easy to get discouraged when all you play are technical exercises. Get something fun to play, as you know these songs and what they are supposed to sound like. This helps a lot in developing your sound.
CarKee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to PLP

That is an excellent idea about getting some piano books of pop songs to play on my trumpet. In fact I may have some books with songs that I might be able to play on my trumpet. I have a piano and also an electronic keyboard. I will look through the books I have. This would be very enjoyable. It does get kind of dull just playing exercises. There are some notes that I cannot play on the trumpet yet, but there's probably some songs that I could play now.

I also have another question. I don't know if I would ever want to do this because it may not be a good thing to do at all, but I was kind of wondering a little about the possibility of trying a saxophone. However, I would not want to do this at all if there is any chance that going back and forth between the sax and trumpet would be too confusing because I do want to stay with the trumpet. I love that instrument so much. I play some different instruments and love to try different ones. I love the sound of a sax too but I don't know if I could ever do anything at all with one. I will appreciate any opinions about this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: