• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upstream playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Paul is saying is basically what I've been saying, just be respectful. You can disagree with each other but don't be rude and snide. Actually if you re-read his post, Mr. Hickman states that there are some players who's airstream goes up, just he is saying not as many. Just be civil!! Show some respect to all sides in here. I hate getting into these things but I thought it was appropriate here!!
Adam Metzler

[ This Message was edited by: Meldog on 2004-08-11 13:25 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want respect, it would be wise to show respect...

What goes around, comes around...

And all the other wise old proverbs that should be observed in the normal course of human relations...
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Tell us about your decades of teaching and thousands of students, how 'bout it?>

Duh... Whoops! This was said to one of the most revered/respected trumpet teachers in the world, a man considered by many to be one of the great trumpet soloists ever. Wow. I don't know whether to laugh or cringe. News flash, Rich; there's this kid named Vizzutti... 'sposed to be pretty good. And a guy who hung around in Chicago for a while that you might want to check out... Hersup... Herfuth... something like that!

What Dave is likely too much of a gentleman to say in a reply is that he's also known as one of the most serious and respected researchers of trumpet issues in the modern era. I would bet that he could CHOKE you with data. As with so many who studied with one of the various, vaunted pedagogues, you are no doubt "100% right" about everything remotely related to trumpet playing (making everyone who's found success in another way "100% wrong"), but it seems you owe Dave an apology for that "your decades of students" line. You correspond with students of HIS students every day on this forum.

By the way, how much do we depend today on research done in ANY field in 1928? How much of what was "proved" in that era has been re-visited since then with different results? Doc was, by all accounts, a great guy and helped many players in significant ways. He saved many of them from real career-ending chops problems (including you, Rich, according to websites and other testimonials). But why do so many of his students have the impression that he decended from a mountain carrying tablets inscribed with the "only, true, super-double-secret" answers to all trumpet-related questions?

Fleebat

[ This Message was edited by: Fleebat on 2004-08-11 15:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fleebat on 2004-08-11 15:23 ]
O-Ring
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm... rich wiley trumpet / bass trumpet in candler nc or david hickman...... hmmmm.

hickman ... wiley... hicman ,.... wiley..... hickamn or wiley..

maybe ill go with dave hickman's ideas on this one.

o-r

ps wiley nice job with the "moderating/

Quote:

On 2004-08-10 22:52, BeboppinFool wrote:
Excuse me, Dave Hickman, you are absolutely, 100% wrong.

Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt proved that there are downstream andupstream players back in 1928 or 1929. You, my friend, are wrong.

Where are your "scientific studies" that you cite?

I have never heard such utter and total nonsense posted as "fact" in all my life. Doug Elliot has masterfully made a documentary where several monster players are shown close-up playing through transparent mouthpieces. Only a total idiot would insist that there is no such thing as an upstream player after watching that film.

Go to the Reinhardt Forum and look at Dave Wilken's website . . . you might want to take some salt and pepper with you since you're going to be eating some crow.

Happy dining, bro.

In the words of Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt, if the lower lip predominates into the cup (meaning more lower lip than upper lip), it is physically impossible for the air to go any place but up.

Reinhardt proved this time and time again through over 60 years of teaching, and with over 5,000 students.

Tell us about your decades of teaching and thousands of students, how 'bout it?

Rich
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling that my first reply would be contraversial. I think that the problem is more a matter of terminology than anything else.

Yes, I am very familiar with all of Reinhardt's books. In fact, one of my former students, David Turnbull (Prof. of Trumpet at Washington State University) recently completed his DMA under me at Arizona State University. His dissertation was:

"An Analysis, Clarification, and Revaluation of Donald Reinhardt's
Pivot System For Brass Instruments," (May, 2001)

First off, I like the Reinhardt system of playing. It is a great teaching method! I think that what MOST people consider to be an "upstream" player is one that points the bell slightly upwards (usually due to an underbite). Of course, what Reinhardt terms an "upstream" player is one that places the mouthpiece more on the bottom lip.

I looked at the photos on the website that were suggested to me. True, it clearly shows that the aperature is much closer to the top of the cup in one of Reinhardt's Type IV embouchures. I also agree that some of the air is likely to hit the top of the cup before being reflected inside the mouthpiece, although these photos do not show the air movement.

My earlier point was that (IMO) most of the airstream actually aims downward when passing through the lips. Perhaps it IS possible for some players to angle the airstream upwards, but I think it would be extremely rare. Perhaps people reading this should try my little experiment (earlier post in this thread), buzzing the lips only, or buzzing on a detachable rim only, or visualizer. Feel around and see where THE MAJORITY of the air is angled. I have done this with hundreds of students over my 33 years of university teaching and have never found anyone whose air traveled upwards for the most part. We have even put a small feather taped to a toothpick just past the lips when buzzing on a visualizer. Same results even with Type IV embouchures.

Hey, I have nothing against placing the mouthpiece more on the lower lip if it works well. I just don't think that that qualifies them to be termed an "upstream" player, unless of course you are speaking only in Reinhardt's terms.

At any rate, I am not upset. I hope other readers will not be upset, either. Perhaps in the real world all of this terminology dosen't matter.......just play your best!

As for my own experience and list of students, I have an email attachment that I send to prospective students when they inquire about study at ASU. I'll be happy to send it to anyone that sends me a private email at: David.Hickman@ASU.edu I really did not mean for this to turn into a contest.

The scientific study I referred to was a doctoral music education dissertation project I participated in back in the late 1960s at the University of Colorado. My teacher, Prof. Frank Baird, agreed with a person (I wish I could remember the person's name) to use all of his students in the study. This person traveled to about a dozen universities and also included numerous professionals wherever he traveled.

Each player was to inhale purple colored air through a mask connected to a bottle of air. They were to then play C below the staff while the fellow filmed the air coming into the clear mouthpiece. After clearing the mouthpiece with normal air, the player repeated the exercise on third-space C. Then, repeated again on high C.

Months later, my teacher (he died last April) received a synopsis report. Even though players had all sorts of different embouchures........mouthpiece placements, horn angles, jaw positions, etc., the initial air impact (at least what could be called the majority of the airstream) hit the bottom of the mouthpiece. I have always believed this but, like most things in life, it is possible that there are exceptions.

Renold Schilke always stated in his clinics that the airstream needed to hit the side of the cup one or more times before entering the throat of the mouthpiece. This is what sets up some of the initial resistance with playing a trumpet and creates the amplification process. He then said that if the air were to go straight into the throat of the mouthpiece, nothing but a loud air noise (hissing) would be heard.

So, did Reinhardt know what he was talking about? YES!

Is a Type IV embouchure bad? NO!

Did this person's dissertation prove things that greatly effected the trumpet world? NO!

Are there possible exceptions to this person's findings? YES!

Am I WRONG? Well, perhaps if you go only by the Reinhardt terminology.

Am I eating crow (with salt and pepper)? NO!

Dave Hickman

[ This Message was edited by: trpt.hick on 2004-08-11 20:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trpt.hick on 2004-08-12 19:06 ]
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a student at Washington State, and a student of Dave Turnbull's. If anyone is interested in learning more about Reinhardt and the pivot system they should definaltly check out Turnbull's thesis. There is tons of information and pictures of the different embouchure types. To order the thesis go here : http://www.systems.wsu.edu/bin/libdocs/orientation/DissertationExpress.pdf
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little clarifiaction here.

A type IV in Reinhardt terminology places the mouthpiece more on the lower lip, not upper.

For the airstream to go up the lower lip must predominate in the cup. The horn angle does not control the airstream. The only thing that governs the airstream is the ratio of upper to lower lip.

More upper lip= downstream
More bottom lip= upsteam

Chris
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood:

You are absolute correct. Sorry! It was a simple error. OF COURSE, a Type IV embouchure (aperature above center) would have more lower lip under the mouthpiece. I have now edited the one word which was not correct.

Dave Hickman

[ This Message was edited by: trpt.hick on 2004-08-11 20:49 ]
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said here many times before, I'm strictly a commercial/jazz type of player. I have little or nothing to do with the "legit" world.

I have a pretty good idea of why Mr. Hickman has been exposed to so few type IV's (upstream). The reason is that they are very rare in the classical field. The sound, and playing qualities of that type lend themselves very strongly toward commercial playing. Not that an upstream type wouldn't make a good legit player, its just that in general they are rare, and even rarer in the classical field.

Most of the really great "triple high note" players where upstream types. Bud Brisbois, Cat Anderson, Andrea Toffinelli, Al Killian and Jon Faddis. The inherent sound of that type is very bright, the high register comes very easy for them. These are the positives. The negatives are that the sound can be thin and shrill at times, good clean tonguing often doesn't come easy to them, and they can also have pitch and control problems.

Remember, these are just very broad generalizations.

Chris
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attitude evident in Mr. Hickman's second post may offer a clue about how he's built such an enviable career as a player and teacher. During my first two years in college, he was the grad assistant. Even then, he was an amazing player. One of THOSE guys. Even more lasting for me are my other impressions of him: nice to everyone, and a great sense of humor (red dye in an unused slide, to be ejected after a difficult passage... dry ice in the bell during a tough cadenza. Sorry to "out" you, Dave! And do I remember right... were you actually playing a Conn 22B? Talk about learning over time!)

Another thought--sorry, I still find this really funny and at the same time I'm embarrassed for the site.

What we've seen is a prime example of everyone (nearly) missing a considered opinion or a really valuable piece of advice from a great source, all because someone rushed in to defend some dogmatic set of beliefs that supports their own safe little world. And flamed about it. And we all watched the wreck. Too bad. I suggest that all of us who actually care about furthering our knowledge and playing (rather than furthering an exclusionary cause/legacy) go back and reread the last paragraph of Mr. Hickman's post. To wit:

"So, to answer your basic question about is the "upstream" embourchure wrong, the answer is NO. It is just another way of playing. The only thing to watch out for is excessive upward angle of the horn. This can sometimes cause too much mouthpiece pressure on the top lip, thus hampering vibration in the upper register. "

This addresses the original question from a perspective born of long and broad experience. Matter of fact, I'd be really surprised if that experience didn't include a comprehensive study of Reinhardt's teachings. I've paid really good money in the past for answers like this. Is it LAW? Well, no, but given the source it certainly carries some serious weight. I think this is also a good example of how much we've learned ABOUT learning. Building on what several generations have struggled to learn before us, we have learned even more. Like the fact that there is no ONE perfect embouchure for every player.

I have two copies of the Arban book. The first, purchased in 1972 (cover price, 8 bucks!), is the Arban-CLARKE Method. That's what we all used to call it; not "Arban's," but "Arban/Clark." Arban moved trumpet playing ahead a good ways in his day. Then his Method was "revised and corrected" by Clarke. The second (bought because the first is mostly shreds of paper-like substance by now), says on its cover:
"Arban's" The Authentic Edition. Edited by Edwin Franko Goldman and Walter M. Smith. Annotated by Claude Gordon. (Clarke isn't mentioned; not on the cover, not anywhere in the book!) Both are published by Fischer.

Arban produced some fine students, and I'm sure many of them were fiercely dedicated to him and his teachings. But he was not a God, nor a prophet. He was a guy who worked hard at something and built up a sizable store of knowledge about it. Clarke was not a usurper or detractor. He gathered, in a fraction of the time it took to collect it in the first place, the bulk of Arban's knowledge, then added his own thoughts and experience. Each of these pioneers had followers who resented any and all tweaking with the methods. So along come the next two guys who, with the benefit of having grown up on the original version, have something to add. (Ever read the text of the 1890s version of Arban's? Ever tried to PLAY per that advice? Arban was THE trumpet authority in his day. But a number of his principles are exact opposites of things players and teachers believe today; enough different that they could be called "wrong.")

Reinhardt, Gordon, Stamp, Jacobs, Caruso, Vachianno... Each gave many years in return for what they eventually knew and believed about playing the trumpet. There are some jagged differences between their methods, yet each produced students who are/were among the best. In effect, these men are giving us a COLLECTIVE lesson: that there are indeed several (at least) ways to play the trumpet well. So, as Mr. Hickman puts it, it's just another way of playing. Had to get that off my chest. Rusty Russell
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:

Hey, I don't mind that I was not known to you. It is impossible to know everyone, especially outside one's own area. Hopefully, TH will help with this.

You know, I do see a fair amount of Type IV embouchures. They can work for any type of playing. The type of mouthpiece and trumpet (plus tonal concepts and styles of articulation) make the most difference.

I am a firm believer in helping each student find their OWN best way of playing, regardless of what it looks like. This is why the Reinhardt system is a great source of information for teachers to help students develop each individual student's embouchure based on the physical set-up they have to work with (teeth, jaws alaignment, lip size and shape, length of upper lip compared to length of upper front teeth, etc.). I'm sure you are, too.

Dave Hickman
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dave

Could I pick your brain on one of those last points? I think it might benefit a lot of people in similar boats.

Near as I can tell from Reinhardt's own writings and from what his students say, you don't choose your embouchure; it chooses you. In other words, this theory is that a person will gravitate toward the "type" that suits/fits his or her physical traits. A type X player, therefore, MUST play with that embouchure as that is what's dictated by the lips, teeth, jaw, etc. (Reinhardt experts; please excuse the oversimplification. Thanks!)

Advice in this camp is typically against any kind of fundamental embouchure change.

I can certainly see the logic of that with a player who has several years of development on an embouchure. But I wonder...
There are a lot of guys like me out there who played pretty well years ago, then laid it down for years in favor of another (in my case, musical) pursuit. Do you think that, starting from scratch in terms of muscle memory, a person can form whatever embouchure they want and make it work? What do you think might be the limits of this?

A couple of Reinhardt students have casually assessed my embouchure as a type IV in years past. You have personal knowledge of the general embouchure that was "forced" on me in college (not naming names here... won't go there... aaarrrgggh...) It's definitely what Reinhardt people would call upstream, with the jaw extended forward, but the aperature is darn near centered. Caused a lot of smile problems and other troubles. Huge sound in the low and mid ranges, thin/weak up top and articulation was a constant struggle.

A couple years ago when I started playing seriously again, I focused on a very different "set," basically the "say m" thing with a tiny, tiny bit of lower-lip "roll" over the bottom teeth. I was after a fatter sound and evenness through the ranges. It has varied since then; not much roll now, more "meat in the bucket," little things like that. I'm sure you've seen people go through similar transitions, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of this. I think many of us are locked in to a mental picture after the very first time we're told how to put the horn to our lips. What you would say to a beginner who'd never formed an embouchure before?

Thanks. Wish I could send some of this nice, coool weather your way!

Rusty Russell
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-08-11 22:23, Fleebat wrote:
A couple years ago when I started playing seriously again, I focused on a very different "set," basically the "say m" thing with a tiny, tiny bit of lower-lip "roll" over the bottom teeth.

Phil Wilson showed this to me years ago and it was a big help then and now. He called it the jelly roll and I found reference to it in Reinhardt. Did not take long to develop as a conditioned part of my set-up.

That and keep some pressure off the upper lip. I'm sure Phil knew Reinhardt, may have studied with him.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a practicioner of both up AND downstream types my first reaction was to concur with Rich. The airstream must hit the lower side of the mouthpiece if your upper lip dominates (downstream) and vice versa with the lower lip dominant) upstream.

Then after thinking about the matter it occured to me that both camps, Hickman and Reinhardt could be correct. Reinhardt seemed to describe the upstream player as one whose airstream hits the part of the mouthpiece above the throat. This would naturally occur just by using more lower lip. HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean that the airstream is actually going upwards. Just means it's hitting above some portion of the upper part of the mouthpiece. So the true answer may be ambiguous.

Or to put it another way: If I'm throwing a dart at a target and aiming for the upper part of the dartboard i don't necessarily have to be throwing the dart at an upward angle.
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now there's a tiny place right behind my left eye that REALLY hurts.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty (Fleebat):

I think LeeC makes good sense here.

In terms of answering some of your questions concerning the Reinhardt system, you should probably ask the guys on the Reinhardt Forum. I'm sure they know his ideas better than I do. I am very familiar with all of Doc's writings, plus many other writings about his ideas, but I am no expert on him.

I think there has already been too much confusion in this thread. My original response was with the assumption that the person sending the topic question was calling an "upstream" player one that tilts the horn at an upward angle, and wanted to know if this was OK or not. (I assumed this because he did not mention Reinhardt or any particular embouchure Type.) I think that many people confuse these two ways of thinking. Since there are still (unfortunately) MANY players that are totally unfamiliar with the Reinhardt books, the only "upstream" term they may have heard deals with the angle of the horn.

All I could really say is that the physical attributes a player possesses will very much direct how the player sets up an efficient embouchure. I, too, remember the good old days when our mutual teacher "gently" forced his own type of embouchure on everyone he taught. I did learn a few things from it and memorized his ideas as a future reference, but I did not (could not!) actually play the way he professed. It seemed to work well for him, and I do know of several of his students who benefitted greatly from his help. But, in general, Reinhardt was perhaps the first to classify different "types" of embouchure based on physical characteristics. He likely WAS the first, and is even today surely the best known pedagogue for this.

I personally feel that forcing an embouchure which does not work easily with one's own physical characteristics is a recipe for disaster. Sometimes short term gains can be made this way, but eventually the player will end up as bad or worse off as where they started.

I am sorry that I cannot offer more specifics without working with you in person.

Nice to hear from you again!

Dave Hickman
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I think you're right about this thread doing plent of "sightseeing" by this point. Still, you cut right to the meat of my question with this:

<All I could really say is that the physical attributes a player possesses will very much direct how the player sets up an efficient embouchure. I, too, remember the good old days when our mutual teacher "gently" forced his own type of embouchure on everyone he taught.>

Don't want you to think I was angling for a freebie lesson; I think LOTS of people could benefit from this advice. I think it's (unfortunately) pretty common for people to develop and play for years on a setup that's really unnatural for them (in my case, it came from a teacher, but there could be a host of origins). Really can squash a person's potential and enthusiasm--heck, I bailed on a free ride in college because of the trouble I had with it. Having a setup that's drastically more natural, less contrived, has made all the difference in the world for me, both in terms of capability and enjoyment. I think this is why Reinhardt had so much success: he analyzed before prescribing a course of action. Thanks again for getting back to us on all this! Best, Rusty Russell
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we are all friends again you might be interested in this little Reinhardt story........

Back in 1980 when I was 16 I discoverd that I could play up to triple C's on that upstream Stevens/Costello type setting. I went to my lesson with Doc and showed him this, then proceeded to beg him to change me to that type so I could play those triple C's. The first thing Doc said to me was "Let me hear you single tongue in the middle register", well it sounded really bad. He came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work for me. I persisted, and nagged him and his exact words to me where; "I will not destroy a good trumpet player so he can have a triple C, if you really want to do this go to Roy Stevens because I will have no part of it."

Even though he had a reputation for being an "embrouchure changer" he was absolutlely not. When asked he used to say;"I don't want to give you a new dyke, I just want to plug the holes in the old one."

BTW- just so everybody knows, I'm a type IIIB downstream, which is probably the most common trumpet type.

Chris
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of formal research on brass embouchures. Maybe I can clear up some of the confusion and misunderstandings.

Quote:
I was wondering how many people here play upstream, or is there a downside to playing this way.
I am an upstream player and just want to know about the style."

Before I tackle your questions, we need to define what an upstream embouchure is, since there seems to be some confusion about it. Whether the embouchure is upstream or downstream depends almost entirely on the ratio of upper to lower lip inside the mouthpiece, not the horn angle. If there is more lower lip inside the mouthpiece cup, the lower lip predominates and the air strikes the mouthpiece cup above the shank, to varying angles. If there is more upper lip the air stream is directed downward.

A downstream player might have a horn angle that is close to straight out:

Or it can be slightly lowered:

Likewise, upstream players can have a titled horn angle:

Or play with their horn angle close to straight out:

Chris already mentioned some of the common playing characteristics of upstream players (easy high range, brighter sound, etc.), but it's important to realize that these are only tendencies, and every player is different. There are upstream players who have to work very hard at their upper register and who possess a naturally dark timbre. The trick for all players, regardless of embouchure type, is to learn how to work with your physical "equipment" instead of against it.

As far as how many do play upstream, it depends in part on the mouthpiece size. An upstream embouchure requires that the player have enough space on the chin to place the mouthpiece, so upstream players of larger instruments (low brass) sometimes have trouble because their chin gets in the way of mouthpiece. I haven't run stats, but I suspect that around 1/3 of the brass playing population plays on an upstream embouchure or might actually be better off playing upstream. I mention "better off" because so many players are discouraged from a mouthpiece placement that deviates from an artificially described "norm," particularly among French horn players. Also, with the smaller mouthpieces a smaller alteration in mouthpiece placement will have a more profound effect on the embouchure than with larger mouthpieces.

Quote:
Also, can you learn how to play one way or another by will, or, does this only come naturally?

One can theoretically play either way, or even both. The real concern is what suites your anatomy. Since the physical characteristics that dictate this aren't very clear, a good approach is to allow your embouchure to develop naturally and allow it to be what it is most efficient, rather than trying out different embouchure types looking for the right fix. In some cases, however, it may be advantageous for a player to consciously try out other embouchure types. Each situation is unique, which is why it's so difficult to offer targeted advice, particularly when you can't see and hear the player in person.

Quote:
OK, I know I'm going to go against the grain of some people's thinking, but there really is no such thing as an "upstream" player.

Scientific tests utilizing clear mouthpieces, high speed cameras, and colored air show that ALL trumpet players tested (hundreds) actually blow down into the mouthpiece. This is true in all registers, too, although low notes tend to be at a lesser down angle.

..The scientific study I referred to was a doctoral music education dissertation project I participated in back in the late 1960s at the University of Colorado. My teacher, Prof. Frank Baird, agreed with a person (I wish I could remember the person's name) to use all of his students in the study. This person traveled to about a dozen universities and also included numerous professionals wherever he traveled.

I'm surprised I haven't come across this dissertation already, as my own dissertation studied this very thing. I'm also skeptical about the methodology, since the results you cite are contrary to my own dissertation results, as well as several other more recent studies in brass embouchures. It's entirely possible that all the test subjects were downstream players, but they may all have been instructed to play that way.

If you can recall the title or author of this dissertation, would you please post it?

Quote:
What we all consider an "upstream" embouchure is one that is usually caused by an underbite.

I don't have an underbite, yet I play on an upstream embouchure. While it's true that individuals who possess a lower jaw that protrudes beyond the upper are physically more prone to play with an upstream embouchure, in my research most upstream players actually had a normal jaw occlusion. Again, it's the ratio of upper to lower lip inside the mouthpiece cup that determines this, not the jaw position.

Quote:
However, the airstream does not actually flow upwards.

I think if you'll look closely at the two upstream examples I posted you'll see that the air does appear to be angled upward. If you look with transparent mouthpieces yourself you can also see where the air strikes the cup fairly easily (it very clearly disturbs the moisture inside the mouthpiece most predominantly at a single spot), especially with the help of a flashlight, no colored air needed. Give it a shot and see for yourself.

What you need to also realize is that after the air initially strikes the inside of the mouthpiece cup it is reflected back and swirls around a bit before it travels straight into the shank. Even upstream players will get some disturbance of the spit that you can see on the bottom of the cup, just not nearly to the same degree that downstream players do (and likewise, downstream players get some disturbance of the spit on the top of the cup). By checking both the top and bottom of the up you can usually see pretty easily whether the air is striking the top or bottom first before it starts swirling around.

Quote:
Here is a simple test if you doubt this. Buzz your lips (no mouthpiece) and feel with the back of your hand where the main body of air is flowing. Even though a small amount of air will likely flow straight out, the big majority of it will go downward (like a clarinet angle). Now, jut your lower jaw out as far as possible and buzz again. You will notice that the air still goes mostly downward.

This approach isn't accurate. The addition of a mouthpiece rim and the resistance of the mouthpiece and instrument alter the position of the lips and jaw. Buzzing without the mouthpiece provides a very inaccurate depiction of a players embouchure. It's useful for strength building purposes, but virtually useless as a diagnostic tool. Mouthpiece "visualizers" (cut-away mouthpieces and rims) are slightly more accurate, but a transparent mouthpiece by far is the most accurate way to study a brass embouchure, otherwise you're just making guesses.

Again, I recommend that you obtain a transparent mouthpiece and then check this with a number of different players. Even though some players will look similar whether they are buzzing, playing on a visualizer, or playing in a transparent mouthpiece, you'll see most have at least some distinct differences in lip and jaw position. Often they aperture forms in a slightly different spot on the lips as well.

Upstream players in particular have trouble buzzing without the mouthpiece in the same lip and jaw position as playing. In fact, Donald Reinhardt observed that buzzing in this manner caused all sorts of problems for upstream players, so he actually instructed upstream students to practice buzzing downstream for embouchure strength training.

Quote:
In fact, one of my former students, David Turnbull (Prof. of Trumpet at Washington State University) recently completed his DMA under me at Arizona State University. His dissertation was:

"An Analysis, Clarification, and Revaluation of Donald Reinhardt's
Pivot System For Brass Instruments," (May, 2001)

I have read Dr. Turnbull's dissertation and also emailed with him a couple of times. What I find curious is that you have access to his research, but still make the claim that there is no such thing as an upstream embouchure. Could you please comment on this as Dr. Turnbull's dissertation has some excellent photos of both upstream and downstream embouchure types (although they are on mouthpiece rims only, not transparent mouthpieces)?

Quote:
My earlier point was that (IMO) most of the airstream actually aims downward when passing through the lips. Perhaps it IS possible for some players to angle the airstream upwards, but I think it would be extremely rare. Perhaps people reading this should try my little experiment (earlier post in this thread), buzzing the lips only, or buzzing on a detachable rim only, or visualizer. Feel around and see where THE MAJORITY of the air is angled. I have done this with hundreds of students over my 33 years of university teaching and have never found anyone whose air traveled upwards for the most part. We have even put a small feather taped to a toothpick just past the lips when buzzing on a visualizer. Same results even with Type IV embouchures.

Quote:
HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean that the airstream is actually going upwards. Just means it's hitting above some portion of the upper part of the mouthpiece. So the true answer may be ambiguous.

It's not really ambiguous as the angle of the airstream changes according to the register being played. The higher a brass musician plays the sharper the angle, either up or down (depending on the embouchure type). So as an upstream player ascends the point at where the air strikes the mouthpiece cup moves higher and closer to the upper rim. The reverse is true of downstream players, the air strikes further down towards the lower part of the mouthpiece rim while ascending. When descending the angle flattens out and the air strikes closer to the mouthpiece shank. Again, with a transparent mouthpiece (and a flashlight helps) you can see this. This is a *much* more accurate way to look at this than cut-away mouthpieces or buzzing.

I really don't know why upstream embouchures have been so often discouraged (or disbelieved). Some of it probably has to do with the fact that most musicians these days go through some formal instruction and over the last century brass players have tended to rely on a small number of books. The authors of these books often recommend mouthpiece placement and embouchure formations that are how they personally play, rather than taking into account the differences in facial anatomy. Over time we have a pedagogical orthodoxy that eliminates upstream players as not having necessary talent and only perpetuates the myth that an embouchure must be downstream.

I would like to encourage everyone to obtain a transparent mouthpiece and spend a little time actually observing many different player's embouchures. When I first started doing this I quickly learned that many experts in the field were actually wrong with what they wrote and taught and that many of my own theories were based on faulty logic rather than observable characteristics. From what I've learned, Donald Reinhardt's embouchure types are most accurately describe what you will see, so that may be a starting point for anyone interested in exploring this further.

Dave W.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:

Your photos and explanations are clear and professionally presented. I appreciate that. However, you must also read some of my later posts in this thread where I explain that there seem to be two definitions of "upstream" players. One is based on Reinhardt's terminology, and the other based on a broader term used by many players not referring to the Reinhardt term....that is, players that tilt the trumpet upwards.

I shall hereby RETRACT the statement I made in my first post that said that "there really is no such thing as an "upstream" player." because, obviously, in Reinhardt's terms there is. I based my OPINION about airstream angle on the study I participated in and through my own teaching experience over the past 35 years.

The man that did the dissertation project back in the late 1960s must have never completed his doctorate. Otherwise, I'm sure that you, Turnbull, me, and others would have come across it in researching Reinhardt-related materials. The photos you gave certainly make it APPEAR that the airstream would shoot out straight, thus hitting the top of the cup ("upstream"), or bottom of the cup ("downstream"). HOWEVER, they do not show actual air flow.

My only contention (let's just say, opinion) is that the airstream does not actually shoot out straight (in most cases, let's say). The only evidence I have dealing with the angle of the airstream is that it goes down, but this evidence could certainly be considered "soft," so I may be wrong (at least some of the time) in my conclusion.

Do you know of any other study on airstream angle (and I do not mean this in an antaganistic way)? I don't. I do know that many people ASSUME that the airstream goes into the mouthpiece straight on, but there seems to be no actual proof.

Don't get me wrong. I have a huge respect for Reinhardt's teachings and books. But, just because he said things about airstream angles doesn't mean it is 100% true and to be blindly accepted by all.

I guess in the long run it just doesn't really matter what the air does, or where the mouthpiece sits, or what angle the horn tilts. It's what the player can make happen.

Dave Hickman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: