• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does anyone recognize the tpt players in this United ad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Does anyone recognize the tpt players in this United ad? Reply with quote

You can see them ever so briefly at 56-57 seconds.
Some of the string players are obviously professionals. What about the trumpet players?

The hall that they show at the beginning for a millisecond is definitely in Orange County California where the Pacific Symphony plays. I know that much.

Thanks!!

https://hub.united.com/en-us/videos/company/pages/united-commercial-orchestra.aspx
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt they're even real trumpet players. If they are, I don't recognize them--and I'm from the area.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
I highly doubt they're even real trumpet players. If they are, I don't recognize them--and I'm from the area.

A friend was one of the French Horn players, and she's a very active pro player in the LA area. She was in my brass quintet that was featured in an episode of "The West Wing."

Using pro musicians on TV shows, ads and movies but not having them actually play is called "sidelining." However, for The West Wing, we did record the tune, and it was played back during the shooting of the scene. With the proximity of the actors to us, there would have been no way to record the dialogue and have us play at the same time.

I've sent her an e-mail asking who was in the sections. My guess is it's a mixture of pro players and from the youth look of many, a slew of college / university students.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard back from my friend (2nd row of Fr. Horns, far right).

She said she thinks they were just extras who convinced someone that they played trumpet.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't recognize the trumpets, but violinist at :32 is Christine Wu.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trombonist on the far right is LA heavy Charlie Morillas.

ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on this topic.

What's the union rules on this? Do you need to be a member of the Musician's Union to "pretend" to play?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they have to buy seats for their instruments?????
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
While we're on this topic.

What's the union rules on this? Do you need to be a member of the Musician's Union to "pretend" to play?

There are 3 unions that can come into play on things like this - AFM, SAG (Screen Actors Guild) and AFTRA (American Federation of Television and Radio Artists).

Each has its own pay scale and reuse deals.

If you're on an AFM contract, the day rate is decent (NY is around $210 for an 8-hour day) BUT you get reuse. For TV commercials, it's like playing a jingle - you get a reuse check every 13 weeks that the commercial plays.

Commercials have Local, Regional and National pay scales.

If it's an AFM contract for a movie or TV show, you start getting reuse checks beginning about 2 years after the project first airs or is released. The amount of that check is dependent on how much you were involved with the project. This is where studio musicians make the BIG bucks.

SAG has a day rate for extras (true background fillers) and another pay rate for SAG members who get (let's call it) dedicated camera time. That depends on if you're designated as a SAG extra or SAG principal.

I have worked both AFM and SAG projects. I haven't done an AFTRA yet. Both SAG and AFTRA do not, from what I understand, pay any reuse - it's basically a buy-out, whereas AFM contracts pay reuse into perpetuity.

My Fr. Horn friend wrote this about the United ad:

"It was a huge mess. We signed SAG contracts as extras and then the AFM found out about it and they wanted us to go back to AFM which is much less money. In the end SAG and AFM worked it out and of course SAG won. I was a SAG extra. Charlie Morillas (trombone) was a SAG principal."

There is also a stipulation with SAG commercials where if the camera, while panning thru a group of actors stops on your face, then you get extra money. How much extra I do not know.

Years ago I did a commercial for Lipton Iced Tea. A tubist who was seated one person away from me was a featured actor, and he got an ENORMOUS paycheck, much more than the (still nice) check that I got. He was and still is a working LA tuba guy.

That commercial had 3 unions working on it: AFM, SAG & IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) - that's all the crew. We also had non-union day-rate extras.

I think the day-rate people got like $50 a day, and we did 2 days of filming.

A good way to illustrate the differences in the unions is to tell you about the the meal catering.

IATSE got a feast for lunch & dinner. Steaks, burgers, salads, beverages, sweets, snacks...I mean WOW what a spread!

AFM & SAG got almost as good a spread. If you walked away hungry it was your own fault.

Day-rate extras got cold ham-n-chees sammiches, potato chips and some kind of cheap, powdered mixed beverage.

And woe be the person who went into a higher food line than they were authorized.

ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAG and AFTRA have merged.

Here in NM Back Ground is non-union. Most of the time if you don't talk, you're considered background unless you have a major interaction.

Pay is from $8-$10/hr + OT. Sometimes you can wrap after two hours and the bigger productions pay an 8 hour minimum.

From time to time you'll see ads looking for certain characteristics, and that could be "Own a Tux." In a few days there's a "Formal Party" scene being filmed for an ABC show, and I could imagine a call out for Background musicians...but I was curious what the AFM position would be.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually doing a sidelining gig this Saturday, and the requirements were for me to not be an AFM member.

$165 a day.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more about the commercial....the LSO recorded the Gershwin....

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/09/23/uniteds-fly-the-friendly-skies.html?page=all
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...because every American orchestra was busy that day...?

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
I'm actually doing a sidelining gig this Saturday, and the requirements were for me to not be an AFM member.

$165 a day.

Eat hearty.

ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Adam V wrote:

$165 a day.

Eat hearty.

Weight gain on these productions....big problem
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The principal horn of the MET Opera Orchestra said that he was in a group that recorded the soundtrack for the commercial, so the newspaper article must have it wrong!

alexwill wrote:
more about the commercial....the LSO recorded the Gershwin....

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/09/23/uniteds-fly-the-friendly-skies.html?page=all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: