• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pitches on other brass pipes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just spent a week working on the routine and the leadpipe with a friend who is a student of Bob Slack and Charley Davis. I am primarily a Stamp disciple, but I am always willing to try something new. I found that the pipe was great for really getting my air moving. As I am a teacher, I am interested in incorporating this as a tool in my arsenal. I understand that the trumpet pipe should blow an Eb concert. What pitches should horn, trombone, euphonium, and tuba blow?
Thanks,
1B
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I am sure of is that the trombone without the slide also blows Eb, only an octave lower than the trumpet pipe.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I always understood that the exact pitch on the trpt lead pipe was of minor importance. I still struggle to get a concert Eb. D concert was OK, too. Mr. Adam had several lead pipes so as to closer match a student's lead pipe pitch. Am I correct on this?

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as far as I know. At the ITG masterclass he gave this year (2004), he had several, and used them to match pitch with the students. He commented that the exact pitch didn't matter, but he wanted to match pitch to keep his head straight. The masterclass was awesome, btw -- what a great guy! - Don

p.s. I suppose you could simply measure the pipe for whatever horn and calculate the pitch from the speed of sound (which depends on temperature and humidity, among other things) using the standard closed-end pipe equation.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Don, I'm a teacher, not a rocket scientist. (Just joking).
Thanks,
1B
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound is important, not the pitch. Listening for tension and using air flow to allow you to play the most efficient way possible is how the pipe becomes a great tool. Tension is easy to hear with the buzz, you can also program yourself to play without excess tension by having that tension free sound in your mind and getting closer to it each time you lead pipe practice.
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worthwhile occasionally to blow air only through the mouthpiece and gradually set it in the leadpipe. As the pipe sets up resistance the natural resonant pitch of the particular pipe can be produced without any help from an already buzzing mouthpiece.

The exact pitch is not very important and modifying the delivery system to produce an arbitrary pitch can set up an undesirable isometric response in the embochure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: