• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 9D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Bach 9D Reply with quote

I'm coming back after a 5 year sabbatical and I have all the range and tone back that i had before. I play a yamaha 11c4-7c mouthpiece right now and i'm very dissatisfied with its performance both range and endurance I've been reading and researching different mouthpieces and I think i might get a Bach 9D but before i did I wanted to get your opinions. that being said i'm not looking to hit double c's off the bat i just want something that will help a little in the upper register but mostly endurance is what i need.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: Your results may vary.

I think that a 9D could help range and endurance, but it probably won't help you get a low range or a tone you like.
gavin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you suggest I do a lot of playing in the upper register so i was looking for something to help out with that as well trying to find a good comprimise
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Bach 9D a few years ago. I was fooling around with the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator and it appeared to me that the 9 series of mouthpieces all had very similar rims, regardless of depth -- something rather unusual in the Bach line. I ordered the piece from Mouthpiece Express (who claimed it was in stock), and shortly thereafter received a backorder notice. A few weeks later, another backorder notice. A few months later, another backorder notice. Right around seven months after my order, I received the mouthpiece. I had completely forgotten about it by then, and had moved on to another mouthpiece maker who could actually deliver product. The 9D is okay, but I was happier on the mouthpiece I had ordered and received in the meantime.

My personal opinion is that some players work to get decent tone from shallower mouthpieces (and succeed -- though they may never win auditions for major symphonies), while other players work to get decent range from larger/deeper mouthpieces (and succeed, though relatively few will get jobs playing screaming lead books). I fall in the first camp, and get a nice sound from the Reeves S cup I currently play. The Bach 9D is deeper than the Reeves S, so *for me* it isn't a nasty sounding mouthpiece. YMMV.
gavin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my playing encompasses very little orchestra music mostly lead jazz and gospel while tone is important to me i don't need to sound like i play in a symphony
gavin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a mouthpiece that will help with the endurance and range without hurting my tone so much again i'm not looking so much for a orchestra tone mostly jazz and gospel
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually recommend mouthpieces because they are so player dependent, but in this case I'll put in a plug for a Bach 10 (no letter). It has a deep cup and bigger backbore for a nice tone, but small enough diameter rim to help endurance. Then rim is very comfortable. Check it out on Kanstul comparator.
gavin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i went out and tried a bunch of different mouthpieces and i settled on a shilke 14a4 and wow what a difference it doesn't increase range like some are led to believe but it does take less effort to hit higher notes and also the rim is a rounded so it hurts less when playing. I think the next piece i get might be a bach 10.5c though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: