• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

G. P. Telemann Concert in E Minor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetAddict89

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the CD set "Virtuoso Trumpet" published by by Deutsche Grammophon. It's a 2 - CD set, and on CD one, on tracks 8-11, I heard a piece that I fell in love with: Telemann's Concerto in E Minor, performed by Maurice Andre. I decided to try to find the music for it, and after a lot of searching, I found it on Robert King's website. When I got the music in the mail, I was very disappointed. The music was vastly different from what I heard on the recording. The edition I got was edited by Gerard Billaudot. Enourmous sections of certain movements are completely left out, so much as that, to me, the editor has destroyed the meaing of the piece. I was going to try to re-write the solo part and accompaniment to match the recording, but I decided it might be a good idea to see if there are any other more authentic editions out there. Does anyone have any other sources for the piece? If not, does anyone have any tips for re-writing the parts? Thanks
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, this piece isn't originally a trumpet concerto. I think it's originally a violin concerto - if I'm thinking of the right one. Nonsense Eliminator would know! (Where is that guy?)

So maybe an original violin part would be the way to go? My suggestion would be find a university music library with a Telemann complete works edition if you really want to get the "real deal". Otherwise, if the Billadout is close, just add in the corrections as you see fit. Maybe the liner notes from the CD indicate its origins? Unlikely, but possible.

I must admit, I've never seen the Billadout music for this piece. Is it the same notes, just weird articulations and stuff, or what?
TrumpetAddict89

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob White ---
There are a ton of missing notes. For example, in the third movement, on the recording, the trumpet plays 8 16th notes, which are answered by 4 16ths from the strings. Im my music it's visa - versa. That's just one section of the third movement too...at least half the phrases would need to be edited to match the recording. There are also some articulations I disagree with, but that's just me.
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the disagreement may not be in teh piece itself, but in the embellishment. Is the Bare-bones melody the same? and your sheet music just missing 'filler'? This is probably because baroque music was commonly written with the expectation that the performer would embellish it and make it their own. A parallel can almost be drawn to jazz music is you are so inclined. If you would like, you can write the embelllishments out yourself, or make your own up as you go.

If this isnt the prblm, and you have a different edition....its a pain, and your best bet might be to find the number theyre classified by (eg mozart is K###, bach is BVW### etc) and search that.

Stuart
Kanne
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: TWV Reply with quote

Telemann's work is classified in the TWV (Telemann Werke Verzeichnis), like
Mozart - KV Koechel Verzeichnis
Bruckner - WAB Werk Verzeichnis Anton Bruckner
Bach - BWV Bach Werke Verzeichnis

Here a link for Georg Philipp Telemann's oeuvre:
http://www.klassika.info/Komponisten/Telemann/

The majority of available Telemann trumpet recordings
are transcriptions.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to remember that maurice andre does a lot of um, non traditional trumpet stuff, a la violin or flute or oboe works that he pretty much does himself. So unless you find his music, it will be hard to replicate it.... somewhat.

Good luck finding the music though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: