• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upturned bell -- for aesthetic purposes only?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct me if I'm wrong but this looks a bit chinese/indian to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3744548079
pretty steep opening bid!
emailed the seller on what make, waiting for reply
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
bazlith222

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one for a long time because i tend to point my horn into the stand when I play so I can actually see the music. I have progressive lenses. Anyway, it seems to me that the sound would get out a lot better if the bell is pointing up over the stand.
A_Ason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazlith222 wrote:
I've been thinking about getting one for a long time because i tend to point my horn into the stand when I play so I can actually see the music. I have progressive lenses. Anyway, it seems to me that the sound would get out a lot better if the bell is pointing up over the stand.

If you use progressive lenses you will also appreciate the fact, like me, that you can get closer to the stand. Also, in a big band you will avoid playing straight inot the ears of the trombone player in front of you. I have a tuning bell Schilke and I use it with Dizzy-style bell in big band, depends a bit on the situation. It works very well.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solution is to get music-reading glasses. I have specific bifocals for music, with most of the lens optimized for the eye-to-sheet-music difference (not normal reading distance), and a small area across the full width of the top of the lens for distant vision (the view above the music stand, for seeing the conductor). I find progressive lenses terrible for reading music, since you really have to aim your face for focus, which can compromise the playing posture of the neck as well as the aiming of the bell.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet - by design - is an amplifier, and it will be heard in almost any playing situation we will encounter.

Only if you are blowing directly (and by directly I mean a few inches away) into an obstruction (music stand, the person directly in front of you, a curtain, etc.), will the sound be reduced by any significant amount other than the dynamics that you are playing.

Upturned bells, bent mouthpieces, etc. - if they give you the desired sound you are searching for, then by all means have those alterations done. Be aware there will be a significant amount of adjustment time until you are comfortable playing with that new setup.

Also, once you get accustomed to a bent mouthpiece, it will be very difficult to play a piece that is not bent.

But if it's a trumpet section and only one trumpet has an upturned bell, that particular players sound will, for lack of a better phrase - stick out above the others.

geez, one gig I did years ago in Palm Springs - the event planner was so worried that we would play too loud that the first two sets we had to play with bucket mutes underneath the 3-sided band fronts we used, AND we could not play any louder than mf. It was a ridiculous sight, fer sure!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: