• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Lead horns Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let you know that at the ITG I bought a Tony Scodwell trumpet. This horn is the best lead horn that I have ever played. It is the Las Vegas model. There has been a lot of discussion about lead horns on this forum. I just wanted to let everyone know that giving a Scodwell a look would be something you might consider if you are in the market for a lead horn.

Thanks

Dick G.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lead horns Reply with quote

DickieG64 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would let you know that at the ITG I bought a Tony Scodwell trumpet. This horn is the best lead horn that I have ever played. It is the Las Vegas model. There has been a lot of discussion about lead horns on this forum. I just wanted to let everyone know that giving a Scodwell a look would be something you might consider if you are in the market for a lead horn.

Thanks

Dick G.

Agreed! Love mine!!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead horns Reply with quote

DickieG64 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Dick G.

Cool, good to hear a positive review of a new horn!

Brad
TIJO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Scodwell trumpets Reply with quote

Tony puts the horns together in his shop in Las Vegas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVLEMN0UDhI[/youtube]
A_Ason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lead horns Reply with quote

DickieG64 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Dick G.

Since you list a Schilke B3 in your signature, how do these two horns compare? B3 is a great lead horn in my opinion, so I am a bit curious.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A_Ason

The B3 is a great horn also for lead and all around. I do love it, but this Scodwell is just working for me. The upper range is playing so well. I still play the Schilke in one of the bands because the guys in that section play Schilkes, but I play the Scodwell when I play lead in the other bands.

DG
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
The Royal Lancer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my Scodwell at last year's ITG in Grand Rapids, MI. It is by far the best trumpet I have ever played. Not only is it great as a lead horn, but the sound and voicing that you can create in a combo situation is amazing. I love the way it sounds when played softly.

Although I bought the horn used, Tony took the time at the show to go over the horn and guarenteed me that it was as it should be. After getting the horn home, and playing it for three months I wrote Tony and asked how come he can make such a terrific horn and his reply was "It helps when you play one".

Tony, thanks again to for building me the horn that I always wanted!

Jack
'07 Lawler C7 Deluxe
'01 Scodwell
'75 Olds Custom
'73 Getzen Severinsen
'67 Bach Stradavarius
'63 Martin Committee
'54 Contempora Trumpet (LB)
'53 Contempora Trumpet
chinesebill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did they start making horns out of lead??

Sorry! I couldnt resist. Old joke from when I was a Lead Programmer.
Conn 7C
INTJ-disable
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we often like to think of a particular horn being a lead horn or a jazz horn or a classical horn; but it really depends on the player. I rediscovered this a couple days ago. My copper bell WT has a more focused sound than my brass bell WT, leading one to believe it would be a better choice for lead. The broad warm sound of my brass bell WT would make it fit best as a jazz horn.

However, it is easier for me to play above High G (4 ledger lines) with the brass bell than the copper bell. The brass bell is a tiny bit more responsive as well, though the copper bell is a tiny bit more secure. Well, lead playing often requires notes in the extreme range of the trumpet, and once we are above a High C or D the sounds gets "sizzly" and the projection is fine on most horns anyway. Thus, the brass bell is what I use for lead and I keep the copper bell for legit stuff.

So I guess my recommendation for a lead horn is to play what you can play I tune and are most comfortable with. If you are playing lead in a relaxed, resonant, in tune, and focused manner; you will sound good on most any horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: