• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Austian Barclay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
makana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have recently spotted a cornet called a barclay on ebay at the moment. This is part of a liquidation sale clearing instuments that have been stored in a warehouse last 25 yrs and are as new. The origional business owner was apparently a major importer for Amati. The cornet was manufactured in Austria. I may be ignorant but this horn does not appear to have any form of tuning slide. At least that I can see. The tubing configuration on this horn seems very different from conventional horns in the lead pipe and bell pipe departments. There is a folded tube that leads to the bell that has a cap in it at the last fold before the bell (could be a slide, but not sure). The seller does not know brass and has sent me more detailed pic's but these havent helped much. His father owned the business being liquidated. There may also be a link to Amati in terms of manufacture as it was apparently cheaper to import horns to the US from Austria than Checoslovakia in the distant past. The name Barclay was apparently engraved on the horn at the importers request and does not relate to the latest "el cheapo" Barclays on the market. I understand that modern Amati horns are not much good, but wonder about thier products of 25yrs ago. Does any body know of these and can solve my tuning slide question. I am looking for a student horn to play along with my learner son who is just starting out. Used to play trumpet some years ago but sold my horn. Don't want to spend a great deal and am not to fussy as to type of horn other than it should not be junk.

Cheers
John
Jansu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asking questions about ebay items, post the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41396&item=3744453262&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Looks like a wierd trumpet to me, not sure if i've ever seen a cornet like this. It's pretty, but that doesnt really tell you much about the way it plays etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: