• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Recomendations on Eb rotary trumpets..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Recomendations on Eb rotary trumpets.. Reply with quote

Any thoughts out there...
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul's C and Bb rotary trumpets are truly excellent, and compare favorably to their German doppelgangers. Bach and Yamaha make rotary trumpets, but don't seem to be well regarded. I believe Blackburn will make a rotary trumpet on a custom order basis. Short of these choices, you will have to buy a German trumpet, which is difficult to say the least, and trying before you buy is nearly impossible (unless you are in Germany). The Antique Sound Workshop in Massachusetts sells Josef Dotzauer (the Kanstuls are way better at the same price, IMO) and Adolf Egger rotary trumpets http://www.aswltd.com/brass.htm, and Rayburn Musical Instruments in Boston and New York City http://www.rayburnmusic.com/brass/Rotary_trumpet_page_new.asp is a dealer for Monke, Scherzer, Schagerl, Thein, and Lechner rotaries, but their stock is limited. Jack Kanstul http://www.kanstulmusic.com almost always has the Kanstul rotaries in stock, and offers a trial period in which you only pay for the shipping if you don't end up buying the horn.

(edit) Sorry, I see that you asked about Eb rotaries. I think a trip to Germany is your only option.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Monke - very impressive instrument. Very different sound to the Schilke Eb's that seem to dominate the Eb trumpet world. I preferred the rotary, but that is purely a personal opinion. The two do not mix well.
The time when I played the Monke was at a time when I was actually playing a lot of rotary instruments, so my reaction could have been influenced by that (along with not being a huge fan of Schilke instruments).

As for the comment that "Bach and Yamaha make rotary trumpets, but don't seem to be well regarded." I play a Yamaha rotary Bb. I have played it in a section of Monke trumpets and blended well with them. I have had other players use it (who are more used to their Monke instruments) and they have been very impressed with it. I think the Yamaha rotary instruments are one of the well-hidden gems of the trumpet world. I got mine brand new for less than the price of a 6335 standard trumpet, when they usually retail for about 3 or 4 times that amount.
A bargain!
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinion on the Yamaha rotaries, I'd like to try one out. Have you played any Bach rotary trumpets?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
Thanks for your opinion on the Yamaha rotaries, I'd like to try one out. Have you played any Bach rotary trumpets?

No, not yet. I would like to. I saw one a few years ago, but I didn't have enough time to stick around and try it.
I have wondered if they play like the Bach standard Bb trumpets. If so, I wouldn't put money on my liking them, I'm not the greatest fan of Bachs.
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Monke if you realy want that European rotary sound. If not give up the dough, and order one from THE MAN, Cliff Blackburn. You'll get more of the American sound we're used to, but with the exotic rotary things! Get the gold too, its blingin", and very impressive, with a very warm sound. Not at all like a Schilke...

Hope this helps... Tom in Texas
8 Yamahas, 5 Committees, 2 Edwards Gen X
4 Marcinkeiwicz, 9 Harrelsons, and 4 Eclipses
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Recomendations on Eb rotary trumpets.. Reply with quote

Check out www.schagerl.at . They don't show any Eb's but I know they have made them. Also check www.thein-brass.de and www.musik-alexander.de . I believe all of these can be ordered through Rayburn
Music. You might give them a call and speak with Lee.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: