• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Orchestra-Suite Nr 3 and Weihnachts-Oratorium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ludger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Bach Orchestra-Suite Nr 3 and Weihnachts-Oratorium Reply with quote

I will be playing these two pieces as 3rd Trumpet. The suite this week and the Oratorium in a few month. I would appreciate any suggestions what trumpet (I mean in which key) would be the best to use.
For the oratorium I could learn how to play piccolo but certainly not for the suite.
I only own a B and a C Trumpet but I would be able to borrow a picc from my college and a D-Trumpet or anything else from one of the teachers I have had.
Mouthpiece:Mmp Symphonic Line Mod. 6
Bach 1 1/4C
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: WHICH TRUMPET? Reply with quote

These third parts are often best on a small bore D trumpet, but if you are not experienced with one (because of weird intonation to get used to) I would recommend that you play on your C. Just play lightly and "bouncy."

Dave Hickman
guenni-trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you, Mr. Hickman.
I don't think that a picc is the right trumpet for the 3rd parts of Bach because in the deeper registers a picc mostly sounds very thin and some tones couldn't be played. Try to get a D trumpet a few weeks before the gig to acclimate you on the horn so that you get familiar to its specific intonation, feel of blowing etc. So you will never have very much difficulties in playing together to the other trumpets! The intonation of a picc is sometimes very difficult so the 3rd trumpet has often to balance the trumpet section (my individual expirience..).
If you don't have the oportunity to get the D trumpet early for acclimation or if you don't get familiar then take your C and play the part not as a symphonic player but more as a chamber soloist!
Ricco Kuehn B, C
*Canadian Brass C
*Yamaha Custom D/E flat
*Schilke P5-4
*B&S Challenger II
*Mouthpieces: Bach 1C, Bob Reeves 43 MPC

Last edited by guenni-trumpet on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Ludger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind replies.
The Suite went very well on Sunday. I played it on my C-trumpet because there was just no time to try anything else. The Yamaha is quite small- not suitable for orchestra but a very nice instrument- it sounded nice together with the first on A-Piccolo and the second on G-trumpet.
For the “Oratorium” I will borrow a piccolo because I was told (and thought so myself after seeing the score) that all three trumpets have to sound the same as they enter with the identical signal one after another.
I think this piece is an exception. For most other Bach-pieces the A/G/D combination will be the best solution.
Ludger
Mouthpiece:Mmp Symphonic Line Mod. 6
Bach 1 1/4C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: