• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing Taps.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that that time of the year again. When all the veteran groups like the VFW and funerals ask me to play Taps for them. I guess I might of well be called the bugle boy but i'm not really a bugle boy since I play with a trumpet but that's a different thing.

So anyways, I already got a couple of calls to go play taps a bunch of places for memorial day. And every year I do this but this year is a little different because of what happend so I want to make this a great performance.

The first taps performances will be with the school. Where me and this other kid are going to do taps but like a echoe version where I echoe what the first guy does. My teacher came up with that idea. I don't like it all that well but it sounds nice.

But the other 4 times it's going to be solo. So I am here wondering a milling questions. What is the proper fingering that should be used?? Every year I just usually pick one at random. Where should i add cresendos , decresendos and all that. I never play taps with vibrato so should I add it in this year?? How do I make my sound project if we play inside or out side?

Well thanks for helping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i play taps.. i put a lot of emotion into it.. i usually play with a normal vibrato. I cresendo on the leading notes ( G G C).. cresendoing on the the G's.. holding the e.. then sorta fade a little bit.. same thing for the G E C .. after the climax.. or highest part.. i diminuendo on the E C G.. then play the last line G G C soft and hold the C and fade.

that is how i do it.. but it should be up to you.. you are playing.. i have played it different ways and gotten positive results. Most veterans just remember the melody (day after day the bugler just became a robot of playing.. after a week of scount camp.. i know how it is.).. so putting any emotion into it will make it even more meaningful.

good luck on the playing.

oh yeah.. i use all open when i play if i don't use my bugle. open or first valve i feel gives the best sound.. not a lot of extra tubing so it is more like a bugle.
sean007r
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play taps on my trumpet using 2-3

However, compared to both of my bugles, 1-2 is closest.

[ This Message was edited by: sean007r on 2002-05-18 07:28 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe bugles are generally keyed in G, so 1-2 on trumpet should match (A on Bb trumpet = concert G). I also think that whatever you can do best (i.e., make the best sound) is going to be best for all. I've only played it a few times, but I play it open just because I feel most comfortable and get the best sound. YMMV - Don
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play it with the first valve, but always with a lot of emotion. If you are going to play a version with a second trumpeter doing the echo - make sure that you both play it in the same key. Goes without saying, but I've seen people have trouble with this.
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of taps, always open. For what its worth, you can hear me play taps http://www.bamberg.army.mil/1idband/mp3/40.mp3
Play taps with confidence, but not to the point of losing style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: