• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

de guello sheet music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: de guello sheet music Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get the sheet music for de guello? Not the ZZ Top album; the Mexican no quarter piece played on the movie Rio Bravo with John Wayne by the Nelson Riddle Orchestra.

Last edited by elExtranjero on Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes

as far as i know, it was on john wayne's 'the alamo'. dimitri tiomkin did the soundtrack.
there is a variant (spine chilling with chromatic clashes) in a black & white alamo movie that starred sterling hayden. the last texan, the last hero,...something like that.

i suppose i would just contact a mexican army command band, or maybe a bull arena band and ask them...(can you type spanish)??
did you search for it already on the net??

got a neighbor you're fixin' to fight with? sounds damn grim!!!!!
i don't want to hear that outside my bedroom at darkthirty.
what if he plays it first??

dj
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
yikes
got a neighbor you're fixin' to fight with? sounds damn grim!!!!!
i don't want to hear that outside my bedroom at darkthirty.
what if he plays it first??
dj

Nope, no fights planned I just loved the music years (and years and years) back when I first saw the movie. I've searched EVERYWHERE and can't find the music. I've got the soundtrack cd on order from Amazon but it would be a great help if I didn't have to manually transcribe it!

I just love that kind of trumpet playing. The soundtrack to The Hotspot also has some VERY nice Miles playing with John Lee Hooker in that hauntingstyle. The Salton Sea also has the same type of thing on a couple of pieces.
But I'd particularly like to find de guello.

And yes, I can type Spanish, but I'm not sure I'd know where to begin asking other than here. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Thanks,
U-V cru-V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny of you to mention rio bravo! just about 4 months ago (when i was still a soldier in the IDF band - finished my duty 2 weeks later...) we had a fare-well concert for some general, who requested to hear the rio bravo theme with me as soloist...
just for the backround - this general walked up to me in one of the ceremonies we were playing for independence day a couple of months earlier, and said "im tired of hearing granada and buglers holiday every concert! i want YOU to play the rio bravo theme!"
so i sat down and made an arrangement for our orchestra! its a standard wind orchestra + rhythm section (guitar, keyboard, bass & drum set)
it came out really neat! he was all teary and emotional

anyway, if that is what you want - i can send you the trumpet part + lead sheet...![/quote]

|\_____ --- _____o
|/ (__=||||=__)
U-V cru-V

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny of you to mention rio bravo! just about 4 months ago (when i was still a soldier in the IDF band - finished my duty 2 weeks later...) we had a fare-well concert for some general, who requested to hear the rio bravo theme with me as soloist...
just for the backround - this general walked up to me in one of the ceremonies we were playing for independence day a couple of months earlier, and said "im tired of hearing granada and buglers holiday every concert! i want YOU to play the rio bravo theme!"
so i sat down and made an arrangement for our orchestra! its a standard wind orchestra + rhythm section (guitar, keyboard, bass & drum set)

anyway, if that is what you want - i can send you the trumpet part + lead sheet...!

|\_____ --- _____o
|/ (__=||||=__)
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Rio Bravo Reply with quote

U-V cru-V wrote:
funny of you to mention rio bravo! ...
anyway, if that is what you want - i can send you the trumpet part + lead sheet...!

Ta da!!! This forum is great I've been looking for MONTHS for that. Now, I'm not sure if it actually is the 'theme' of Rio Bravo or not. But I'd like to have the theme as well. De Guello is the trumpet piece that (if you've seen the movie) is playing at night outside town.

If you can send it to me in some shape form or fashion I'd appreciate it. Is it 'e' or hard copy?
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: De Guello Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it is the THEME from Rio Bravo, but I AM SURE that
the DeGuello was played in the movie "THE ALAMO" with John Wayne
it was Mannie Klein that played the song on the movie soundtrack.
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: De Guello Reply with quote

textr wrote:
I'm not sure if it is the THEME from Rio Bravo, but I AM SURE that
the DeGuello was played in the movie "THE ALAMO" with John Wayne
it was Mannie Klein that played the song on the movie soundtrack.

So do you have a copy or the music by any chance??
Thanks,
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deguello...

since we're talking mexican military at least 1836 & before.....
what would a trumpeter have used to play the tune. what kind of field musician corps would santa ana have?
usa field musicians were fifes, drums, bugles ...bands were better instrumented.

dj
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
deguello...

since we're talking mexican military at least 1836 & before.....
what would a trumpeter have used to play the tune. what kind of field musician corps would santa ana have?
usa field musicians were fifes, drums, bugles ...bands were better instrumented.

dj

Hey, you got to remember this is LEGEND, tall tales, Texas historical spin. We try to not get caught up too much in historical accuracy...

Seriously, it's just a popular myth; perhaps based in truth perhaps not. Regardless, the trumpet piece is very cool if you like that type of music. Basically a trumpet solo in the slow spanish style. When I get the cd I'll post a sample somewhere.

Better yet, maybe someone can help me transcribe it since the odds of finding sheet music are starting to look slim!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know some of it is. i do wonder about mexican military bands of the period. did santa ana have one, or did he rely on field musicians?
in what form did the tune exist during his time? where else was it used.....
that's all neat musicology stuff that could lead to discovering either reality or fantasy. my first guess is to think deguello was a bugle signal which, in connection with a flag signal, indicated the track a battle's outcome was to be pursued upon.

from an online texas history handbook-

'DEGÜELLO. The degüello, music played by the Mexican army bands on the morning of March 6, 1836, was the signal for Antonio López de Santa Anna'sqv attack on the Alamo. The word degüello signifies the act of beheading or throat-cutting and in Spanish history became associated with the battle music, which, in different versions, meant complete destruction of the enemy without mercy.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Amelia W. Williams, A Critical Study of the Siege of the Alamo and of the Personnel of Its Defenders (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1931; rpt., Southwestern Historical Quarterly 36-37 [April 1933-April 1934]). '

dj
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Can anyone transcribe de guello for me? Reply with quote

Ok, after an interrupted start I'm back in lessons with Jeff Smiley (Balanced Embechoure) and working on my chops. I now HAVE a copy of de guello that I could send to someone that could transcribe it for me.

Yes, it would be excellent for me to do the transcription myself, but one must manage ones time mustn't one? At this point I'm working on my basics and just looking for simple tunes other than twinkle twinkle that I enjoy playing. Being an Aggie and former Marine you would think there are lots of military tunes that I would enjoy, but there's only so much marching band music I can handle. My tastes run more towards jazz or spanish horn.

So, could anyone transcribe de guello for me? The cd I have is Asleep at the Wheel Remembers the Alamo.

Thanks
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that took awhile! glad you have it. planning a de guello christmas, are you?

here's something i've done since we last visited on this. i found a site that has tons of notated folk/celtic selections you can just print off free. i've been using them for warmups.

if they go beyond the celtic connexion, you may find a version of the song there. i'll have to think awhile to remember where it is, but the site has something to do with mit up in mass.

dj
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
well, that took awhile! ...
dj

I may not be consistent, but I am persistent...

david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocities.com/the_tarins@sbcglobal.net/adp/archives/documents/deguello.html

check out #4.
i'm a-thinking this is the real item. how 'bout you?

dj
elExtranjero
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: It just might be! Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/the_tarins@sbcglobal.net/adp/archives/documents/deguello.html

check out #4.
i'm a-thinking this is the real item. how 'bout you?

dj

David,
I can't quite read it well enough. I'm going to print if off and see if I can transcribe it to a bigger sheet! With what I can see, I think it might not be the version that is played in Rio Bravo and by Asleep at the Wheel. Perhaps it's the version played in the recent movie?

I'll let you know and thanks!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's the real deal, & the soulful tunes we think of are really the romantisized updates.

dj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: