• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Resultant/Tartini Tones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Resultant/Tartini Tones Reply with quote

For eveyone that's interested in reading more on resultant or Tartini tones, I have a short list of books you should check out. I spent about half an hour at the music library and went through about 25 books to find these.

In short (very short) resultant tones are broken down into difference and summation tones. Difference tones would be the frequency of the higher pitch minus the frequency of the lower pitch. So if you played 440hz (A) and 660hz (E) the difference tone would be 660-440=220hz (A).
The summation tone would be 440+660=1100 (C#). The summation tone is harder to pick out because it is in the overtone series.

"The difference tone is generally ascribed to the German organist Sorge (1740) and the Italian violinist Tartini (1754)" - Campbell and Greated

The hardest time making resultant tones is when you are using tempered intonation. So if you are playing with a piano is will be much harder. Here is a chart of tempered frequencies http://www.phy.mtu.edu/faculty/info/suits/notefreqs.html

Books:

Backus, John. The Acousical Foundations of Music. New York: W.W. Norton and Company, Inc., 1977

Campbell, Murray and Clive Greated. The Musician's Guide to Acoustics. New York: Schirmer Books, 1988

Jeans, Sir James. Science and Music. Cambridge (Eng.): The University Press, 1961

White, Harvey E. and Donald H. White. Physics and Music: The Science of Musical Sound. Philadelphia: Saunders College Publication, 1980
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Adam told me s story about a visiting name conductor who stopped to listen to Adam's brass choir playing Come Sweet Death. As the last chord died away he commented that the third of the chord was much too loud. No one was playing the third, it was a resultant tone!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Great story! I can certainly relate to this story after hearing Manny and Mike Thompson play some standard excerpts in Denver at ITG. It was amazing how strong the resultants were that those two were able to develop. Literally as if there was another player on stage playing the notes!
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic... very interesting research.

If you have a Dr. Beat db88 you can practice resultant tones of the difference tone varitey by setting the tuner function in the "3" octave setting: buzzing a 2nd line g (concert F...I do this on a Bb, and so think it as a G) produces a resultant tone, for example when the tuner is set to concert A#3. Use of this in lip slurs, scale studies and long tones really helps develop listening skills! (If you do it too long it develops into some serious brain damage ).

Last edited by tpter1 on Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not confuse "difference" or "resultant" tones (same thing) with "Tartini" tones (not the same thing).
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Let's not confuse "difference" or "resultant" tones (same thing) with "Tartini" tones (not the same thing).

What are they then? From every source I've seen (on the net and in the books (including Grove's) they say that "Tartini tone" is just another name for "difference tone" which is a type of combination or resultant tone.

from Grove's:
Difference tone.

When two pure tones are sounded, a lower note of frequency equal to the difference of the frequencies of the two individual notes may be heard. This is the simple difference tone (also sometimes called the ‘Tartini tone’). It is usually ascribed to non-linearities in the audio system producing the sounds or to non-linearities in the hearing mechanism, and is one of the combination tones with frequency f2–f1. Another combination tone with frequency 2f1–f2, is also sometimes heard; this is the cubic difference tone. Difference tones are most frequently audible in a musical context when two instruments, e.g. flutes, are played together in the high register. See also Sound and Combination tone.

http://www.grovemusic.com/shared/views/article.html?section=music.07787
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

You must not have seen the message that I posted in a topic called 10 Question Music Quiz. Here is the text related to Tartini Tones:

Quote:

There is a great article called The Power of Hearing by Thomas Duke that briefly mentions Tartini. I have excerpted the following quote (it’s almost at the bottom of the page just above the heading Music to our ears):

Quote:

“…the 18th-century violinist and composer Giuseppe Tartini was the first to remark that the pitch 2f1 - f2 could be heard when two notes are played simultaneously, even though that frequency is absent in the sound waves. This auditory illusion is probably caused by the most prominent of the distortion products that the cochlear amplifier generates.”

The math to accompany this example helps to understand what Tartini’s mind was generating:

A = 440 Hz
C# = 550 Hz
E = 660 Hz and correspondingly, E an octave lower equals 330 Hz

So if a C# and A are played together we have:

550 – 440 = 110 (an A two octaves below A440) The Resultant Tone

Using the Tartini equation, 2(f1) – (f2):

2(440) – 550 = 330 (E, the fifth below A440) The Tartini Tone

Psycho-acoustic seems like a good term for this, or “auditory illusion” as the author of the above article describes it!

Mr. Hickman points out, there is a significant difference between the Resultant Tone and the Tartini Tone, and he mentions hearing them very clearly when performing with world class ensembles (St. Louis Brass Quintet). He also commented about the impeccable intonation of the Marine Band and how the acoustic phenomenon of Resultant and Tartini Tones made the group sound much larger in comparison with other ensembles that had performed in Gammage Auditorium.

Even when I heard Manny and Mike Thompson playing excerpts in Denver at ITG, I was only really aware of the Resultant tone. It could be that I just didn’t know what to listen for, and was being bombarded by all of the possible difference / combination tones. They were nothing short of phenomenal! Next time I’m scrutinizing resultants (I have a lesson today), I might try some Beethoven excerpts to see if we can find the Tartini tones.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these resultant or Tartini tones are strongest when played with similar instruments. The rich and strong harmonic series of the trumpet lends itself well to creating these, as the resultant tones also have a rich harmonic series, which makes it easier for the ear to hear them as separate tones.

There is another really interesting physco-acoustic effect. You can create the same resultant tones by playing one tone in the left ear, and a different tone in the right ear. There are no acoustic resultant tones, but the brain combines them and creates is own internal resultants. If you have a keyboard with control of stereo panning and headphones you can check it out for yourself. It is really wierd. The resultant tones are also not limited to the audible frequency range. It may be possible for some people that have high or low frequency hearing loss to still hear these tones in the head.

It is also possible to "hear" into the infra sound range also like this. Tune the difference to 8-12 Hz and chill out to the alpha beat...

Michael
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:
Matt,

You must not have seen the message that I posted in a topic called 10 Question Music Quiz.

No. I did read that awhile back. I just meant that all the research I had found (especially in the Grove's dictionary, excerpt posted above) stated that what you are calling a Tartini tone is the actually the cubic difference tone (2f1-f2), not to be confused with the Tartini tone which is the simple difference tone (f2-f1).

In all seriousness, we obviously have conflicting sources which happens. And also, I don't really care what they are called. I don't think it is extremely important. I just care about how they are created and why. I have heard the many types of tones as well. I have created them before with other players. It's absolutely incredible.

The next question is whether they are subjective tones or objective tones. Science has not determined this though much leads to them being subjective (created by the space in the ear between the drum and bone). But recordings and such have shown that some combination (resultant) tones may actually be objective.

So, I don't mean or want to start an argument. I'm just trying to show what I have found in my research because I find it interesting. And if I do end up arguing I don't like arguing with people that I look up to and I look up to most people on this forum. I was just trying to show the information that I found because above all I find Grove's a very reliable source.... but it's not the only one.
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcamilleri wrote:
It is also possible to "hear" into the infra sound range also like this. Tune the difference to 8-12 Hz and chill out to the alpha beat...

One of my friends created a recording of this (or bought one) and put the difference between the left and right channel. He uses it to sync his brain pattern and it helps him fall asleep right away at night.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, get the beat frequency down into the delta and theta range and start counting those sheep.

Makes you wonder what a very carefully out of tune ensemble could do to an audience . I wonder if some of the emotional impact of an orchestral performance is due to infra-sonic difference tones? Just thinking out loud.

Michael
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt:

It's great that you are doing some research on your own. This is always the best method of learning and retaining information.

The Groves dictionaries are good sources but are often quite general. Some of the articles go WAY back. As newer research is done, updated articles will replace the old ones. Dr. Ed Tarr has rewritten many of the trumpet related articles which were too general and even inaccurate.

The best sources on acoustics are the newer books SPECIFICALLY on acoustics. There are even several that deal with brass only. A few of the better brass acoustics authors include Apel, Cardwell, Schilke, and Benade.

DH
hazmat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Hickman. As you can tell, all the books I checked out were a little older. I guess I'mm have to check out some of the newer books.

Thanks,

Matt
Coltssop01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...I'll have to check out some of those newer books. I thought about taking the acoustics class here, but I think I would've been annoyed since it required only basic algebra or something (I used to be an engineer, and give me calculus any day!)
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I had a lesson yesterday and we spent some time playing different intervals and listening for the Tartini Tone. We started with the Major 3rd based on the above example in A Major. The resultant was very clear, and after several times playing it my instructor could find the Tartini Tone in the sound. I had more of a general impression that I heard a Major chord (E-A-C#), but couldn’t isolate the Tartini Tone. That’s a challenge for me.

I thought this was interesting related to Resultants and Tartini Tones. Before the lesson, I quickly ran some numbers to show what we needed to be listening for when playing different intervals.

Major 3rd: A – C#, Resultant = 550 – 440 = 110 (A), Tartini Tone = 2(440) – 550 = 330 (E)
Perfect 4th: E – A, Resultant = 440 – 330 = 110 (A), Tartini Tone = 2(330) – 440 = 220 (A)
Perfect 5th: A – E, Resultant = 660 – 440 = 220 (A), Tartini Tone = 2(440) – 660 = 220 (A)
Octave: A – A, Resultant = 880 – 440 = 440 (A), Tartini Tone = 2(440) – 880 = 0

Notice that the Tartini Tone is masked by the resultant tone on the Perfect 5th (they are the same for this particular interval). It is enhancing the resultant tone on the Perfect 4th, up one octave from the resultant, and one octave below the top played note. So there is at least one case (interval) where Tartini Tones and Resultants are the same.

I recently received the book Kinkaidiana as a gift, and in this book he has a piece entitled Trio for Two flutes. For those of you that attend church, it’s the Holy, Holy, Holy tune. It’s written in such a way to ring the resultants so strongly that it sounds like a third player is covering the “bass” line, and he has actually notated what pitches should be heard as the resultants. While the Tartini Tones weren’t shown, they also play a part in what we were hearing. I really enjoyed the chord that was a top line F whole note for 1st trumpet and a 3rd space C half note (ringing the F two octaves below) for 2nd trumpet with the 2nd part moving up to the 4th space Eb for the other half note. This caused the resultant F to drop down an octave!
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazmat wrote:
mcamilleri wrote:

One of my friends created a recording of this (or bought one) and put the difference between the left and right channel. He uses it to sync his brain pattern and it helps him fall asleep right away at night.

This is so interesting...it takes ages for me to fall asleep... Is there any easy way to do this trick? What equipment is needed?

Thanks for any detailed info.

https://www.facebook.com/hkvmc.hk/
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy prerecorded tapes or CDs that do this either with tones, or with normal music (they take a mono track, and re-record it with another channel at 8-12 hz lower frequency). It sounds like normal music, but causes the brain to generate the 8-12 hz frequency internally. Recordings are availalble for alpha, theta, delta brain wave states, or to encourage sleep. Don't use them while driving!

If you want to do it yourself, you can use a tone generator on a computer, or if you have fine tune function on a keyboard you could use that.

Regarding sleep disturbance, there are some good websites around with advice. Send me an email to remind me and I will send you some links tomorrow. It is fairly easy to fix most sleep problems within a few weeks. Just saying "it takes ages for me to fall asleep" sets up your subconscious mind to disturb your sleep. Strange but true...

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: