• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why Do People Disapprove of Glenn Miller?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I graduated from music school XX years ago I had become brain washed into looking down on music that was old and "trite". We didn't do Herbert L Clark anymore, we did the Artunian or "the Hayden". And Sousa marches were passe in a concert situation. Only the latest avant garde Kenton arrangemnents were worth playing. Over the years it gradually dawned on me that the audiences really picked up on much of that "trite" music that I was beneath playing. I am sure that most who play general big band gigs have seen that the peice that gets the most applause during the evening is In The Mood. On concert band gigs, It's Stars and Stripes Forever. Over the years, I have gradually lost much of that music school haughtiness and discovered that music is more fun for me when it is played well and when I see the audience smiling and enthusiastic. And I have become really bored with playing Stars and Stripes now, but when I see how the public gets into it, it cancels out the boredom. And for what it's worth, on my income tax return, my accountant has always listed me as an "entertainer". Not a musician.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
big al

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: glenski Reply with quote

The man died, but his music lived on.....

Too bad it wasn't the other way around.

I have played the famous Miller tunes countless times, and someone said earlier in this thread that they had little to do with jazz which is pretty right on. I can't stand the music. Probably because I have a pathological hatred of clarinets (misery sticks). However, I do have a soft spot for Pennsylvania 65000.
PRogers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: glenski Reply with quote

big al wrote:

I have played the famous Miller tunes countless times, and someone said earlier in this thread that they had little to do with jazz which is pretty right on. I can't stand the music. Probably because I have a pathological hatred of clarinets (misery sticks). However, I do have a soft spot for Pennsylvania 65000.

Hah, I like that tune too. Its a bit cheesey, and hokey, but its fun, anyway.
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is spot on in my view.

Tom LeCompte wrote:
I used to play in a jobbing band that played In The Mood every night, and what I discovered is that it's very, very easy to play this exactly the way that we played it when we first did it back in high school. That means it has the finese and musicality of a high school band, not one with many more years experience under our belts.

A lot of big band arrangements play themselves to some extent. The Miller numbers need sensitivity of phrasing and ensemble playing. I think its the same effect as you get with big bands playing ballads which can also lack that special something for the audience.

Steve
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: glenski Reply with quote

big al wrote:

Did you hear about a recent search for Glenn Miller's plane? The good news is they found it. The bad news is that the library is intact. <rimshot>
matzentrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something you can do to add some fun to those 367 year old tunes .....

Get the whole band to try taking Pennsylvania 6-5000 at quarter = 300 or so. Include the lyrics.
It's pretty frickin funny.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody hear about the story of him not perishing over the English Channel, but in an Italian brothel?

Seriously.

Chris
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're just letting you know that this is a contemporary big band. I don't think it's a diss of Glenn Miller, it's just saying this band doesn't play that kind of music. If you want to play forties big band, then there are plenty of bands that do that.

BTW, Dallas Christian Jazz Band does not generally play Miller-style, but there are some charts in the book that fit that and they're pulled out occasionally for crowds that want to dance.

Dave
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Most musicians have never heard the Glenn Miller orchestra. Their exposure is through the arrangements in some lame dance band. ..........That coupled with our lousy public school music education.

I agree with the first statement. I really irks me to hear, or play in, a band with some young, inexperienced, hot trumpeter taking a solo on something like Little Brown Jug and trying to sound like Clifford Brown on it. It is so out of context it ruins the performance. The riff choruses on the end of Penna 6-5000 are masterfully scored. Next time you play this tune, listen how the excitement builds and builds through the dynamic interplay between the saxes, bones, and trumpets. The next to last 12-bar chorus can be repeated to extend the energy and create a frenzy for dancers. If you think the music is hokey, you will sound hokey and won't sell yourself to your paying audience. Play it with the musical respect it deserves and you have done your part to keep popular instrumental music alive.

As for public school music education, I have fifty (yes, 50) 7th and 8th grade kids in my middle school jazz band and they swing like crazy. The kids love the music and every week at rehearsal I devote a little time to exploring the great big bands through recordings and photos. There is nothing wrong with today's students or music education. There are 100 great kids for every one problem student you hear about.

I also have a fifth grade beginning saxophonist who can name all of Miller's greatest hits, but her favorite musician is Benny Goodman! She has an amazing knowledge of all kinds of music and is coming along great on the sax.

Young people in quality public school music education programs are hungry for big band music and jazz but there is no venue for them to see it performed live (except for MPTF park concerts) and we can forget about seeing music variety shows as we did in the 50s and 60s. Also, all the old folks who bemoan the end of the big bands are the same people who have sat at home in front of the TV the past 40 years.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plank,

Sure there are good band directors such as yourself. Now look around you the next time you are in a room full of them. How many are competent? How many are even close to what you are doing? How many can teach how to improvise? I work with many students from different schools in the area. I see kids playing in a great in middle school who move on to the high school where the director hasn't a clue. I know a ninth grade director who is so lazy the kids make fun of him for it. I put 100% into my teaching and it seems so do you. Believe me, we are the exception not the rule.
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bothers me that a lot of "jazz" bands at the high school level spend so much of their time playing music like Glen Miller, or even worse, disco and pop music (as was the case in my high school). It's a big disservice to the students, who can sometimes spend four years in their high school band, and come out not having been exposed to the real thing.

There's only so much time to go around, and the real jazz bands like Henderson, Ellington, and Basie need to be made the priority. Also, in most schools, the big band is the only jazz related course offering, so in those cases, the teacher has a responsibility to expose the students to Pops, Monk, Trane, Mingus, Ornette, etc.

There will never be a huge audince for jazz, but the best way to attract those who are pre-disposed to like it is to start in the schools.
Simply Swingin'
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh, that's pure rubish.
5C
------------------------
Keep swingin'...
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say from a student's perspective...(I know, dangerous last words)

In our High School, we are normally playing charts that are for top college level and beyond, but when it comes around to playing those old Miller or Goodman tunes (In the "Blue Book" we call it), it's almost like a relief. Sure their annoying, tediuos, boring, whatever...but honestly I like to play them be cause I feel like I get a break from having to think ( ).

Oh yeah and Pennsylvania 65000 at about 300bpm is pretty fun...!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good to keep pushing the enevelope but does feel good to relax. Thus the reason to have your abilities sharpened to a fine edge.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...tsk, tsk, tsk. My, my, folks.
OK to criticize -- but have a viable alternative to offer.
Most of you have posted valid points. And, as many do, Jazz musicians are beyond "elitist" (as someone posted). They/we have become too "sophistocated" for the audience. As that unfolds, the musicians will be playing with/for themselves. If that's cool for you, then fine. If you think you're so "hot" (or "cool" -- whatever...), sit down and write something that's good, with a good arrangement.
Had Glenn lived, I'm sure he would have "moved on" with his music. He had "good ears", and watched what his audiences reacted to. As the story goes, he would give in, occasionally, to his band-mates, and play what they wanted to play...only for them to discover that the audience was indifferent (and worse). He was smart -- a smart musician is not always a great musician. A general on the battlefield does not have to be the best marksman or sharpshooter...but, that soldier understands who is in command, and why.
We would all welcome new, better music and arrangements....
Shut up and get busy....

Robert Rowe

"...you cain't polish a turd!..." (old Southern expression)
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B,

When you mentioned above that you also teach instrumental music in Des Moines, I remembered corresponding with you on the TH Forum one day last winter when we had a snow day and our wives had to work! I've got my fingers crossed for a mild winter this year- haven't yet had any snow to speak of in the Lake Erie region.

I totally agree with your assessment that so many students miss out on a great learning experience if their school does not have a comprehensive, quality instrumental program which includes jazz, symphonic band, sharp marching band, theory, and private lessons and solo & ensemble programs. It's a lot of work to do all this, but the more the students learn and achieve, the more dedicated they become to the program.

The Miller band (et al.) is a good place to start when teaching big band swing and dance music, but it is, of course, not the definitive statement on the music. But the Miller music lives on and on, and here is a funny story to prove it: Just last week, one of my 7th grade sax players ASKED ME for the music to "In The Mood." So I handed sax parts to all the sax players, knowing they would all want what the other student had. Now what do I hear being played while students are assembling for concert band practice? You guessed it. I figure that if it gets the kids' fingers moving and feeds their enthusiasm for playing, then In The Mood is the greatest song ever written for saxophonists! (At least for this month.)

Bill, have a great year teaching and happy holidays. Keep doing the good work you do for your students.

Bill
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: