• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip Slurs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Lip Slurs Reply with quote

Ok, I lately in Pep Band and Jazz Band have been messing around with Trumpet Shakes a little, but I would really like to be able to do lip slurs. I realize that this isn't a super important skill, but I just like to know how to do these things (like the circular breathing lol, if I don't figure out something it bothers me).

I realize it is an ohh - eee back and forth really fast. I just can't seem to do it. I mean is it really just a fast slur? Because I can't slur intervals very fast. What can I do to work on this?

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a hold of Charles Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities. One of his comments is "I stress vowel singing ie, syllables converted into air stream". That, coupled with relaxed air flow and embouchre, should prove helpful over time. There are also some good lip slur excercises in Max Schlossberg's Daily Drills and Tecnical Studies.

They actually are a very important skill...they build flexibility, and should be included during your warm-up. This may help with your slur speed problems. Some mouthpiece glissandi may also prove helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dizbird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have difficulty understanding how lip slurs should be played, the Irons book would probably be quite helpful.
Comno6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I am sorry, after I reread that I realized what i meant

I meant:
LIP TRILLS

Sorry about that, I know how to do lip slurs.

I realize that it in a way is the same thing, but any info on it would be great

Chris

If you Practice..... You can get better...

YES I KNOW.. Profound!!
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lip trill is nothing more than a lip slur (at a very high rate of speed) between two like fingered notes. They are much easier to do in the upper register where the harmonics are closer together. Get the Irons book as suggeted and work with a metronome. When you can slur quickly between middle C and 1st space E, lip trills in the neighborhood of high C to high D are cake and they just get easier the higher you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: