• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Advice Needed Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys could suggest books that just offer patterns that i could practice in different modes... something that will expose me to different ideas and sounds..

Also I'm going to start transcribing again and I was wondering what are some solos that you guys would suggest for me to transcribe, just somethng to get me back into the swing of things...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for books from noted jazz educators (David Baker, etc,). It's best to find books with patterns in just one key then transpose in all 12 keys in either circle of 5ths.....4ths...etc,...

PM Prof Pat Harbison...He will be of some help to you as he is a noted educator. Take his word over any of ours so you know for sure that he can help you! What works for me might not work for you!

Some good solos to transcribe are solos that you like to listen to...after all there is something that attracts YOU to that particular solo! If you like Clifford Brown then transcribe as much of his stuff as you can. If you like Chet Baker, then transcribe his stuff! Whomever! Just transcribe, it will make you a better soloist. (it depends on your level of study and your technique as to who or what you can transcribe... If your technical ability isn't that high then some Clifford, Freddie, or Fats Navarro solos might be out of your reach for now....don't fret keep sheddin'!) Good luck on your journey!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jazzfunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to transcribe Rick Kiefer's trumpet solo on "A Letter From R.K.". It's from the album "Touchdown" by Peter Herbolzheimer's 1970's Big Band Rhythm Combination & Brass. A very nice tune and a very nice solo by Rick. He displays a wide range.

~Karl
Jupiter slide trumpet

SC1 (when I'm working on MSC)
Asymmetric 342 Lead (when I fall back to old chops)
Bach 1C, Weril 46W, Asymmetric 545 Opera, Denis Wick 4 FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: