• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

School Orchestra Repertoire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 09:07 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, last year I played Pictures at an Exhibition, which I thought was incredibly difficult when i was working it up over summer. We also played Tchaikovsky 4 which also demanded a lot of endurance and transposing. We played some very difficult Latin American music too in the spring. All of these pieces challenged me a great deal at first, but now that they have come and gone, I can go back and play them fairly well without much difficulty. I guess I'm doing something right! We're playing Symphonic Metamorphosis next fall and I'm working that up right now. It has some difficult licks, but it is getting easier every day. I agree that in time, pieces get much easier. I think that playing the piece with an orchestra also helps aquire the necessary skills faster than practicing it alone. Just my thoughts.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: walter on 2002-09-20 09:08 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,
I have had similar experiences. I think that it helped me to think as a member of greater entity to play with the orchestra, whilst in the practice room often times that is overlooked, and difficult to replicate. I found myself able to access more of the 'music' when I was just playing with the orchestra, rather than 'thinking it to death' in the practice room.

The 'Pictures' reference hits close to home for me, as I had the great opportunity to play prinicpal in my sophomore year of Uni. I found that focusing on putting a beautiful sound to the back of the hall out and not worrying about playing that stupid C trumpet in tune made for a much more musical (and in tune!!) experience. I found the low strings helped get my focus on the music going through Samuel Goldberg and Schmuyle (sp?).
dawnfrenzy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just been preparing for a concert playing the entracte, waltz and polonaise from Eugen Onegin. Although I'm finding the trumpet parts quite easy, its been the strain that the conducter has put on us to play it proffesionally in so many different ways that I find really helpful.

I usually play in more casual bands, groups and jazz ensembles and although there is still demands work on tone, pitch, articulation, dynamics etc. but it focuses more in interpretation and just making it sound damn good. It's been much more strenuous for me in an Orchestra. (those first violins think they're so good!).

The directions given to me by the conducter have really made me watch my playing more especially in articulation and pitch and this has made me a better player in other areas.

As far as the music goes it's good fun, although I preferred last year when we did the 1812 overture with a massed choir singing in russian!
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've played Pictures at an Exhibition, 1812 Overture, Russian Sailors Dance, Selections form fiddlers on the roof. Al the stuff is pretty easy on the trumpets. No big woop.
scottnatzke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: