• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hickman on tongue position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namuhs55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Hickman on tongue position Reply with quote

Recently I came across an old ITG article on a report from one of Mr. Hickman's clinics/demonstrations:

Quote:
On articulation Hickman spoke of alternating flutter tonguing and single tonguing to clarify proper tongue position. If one can’t flutter tongue, place the pinky halfway into the mouth and say “dah” - that creates a similar effect. He demonstrated “pop” tones – a very quick tongue stroke creating a short sound: this targets the middle of the note dead center.

Are there any books where Mr. Hickman talks about these subjects? I know that he put out 5-volume set of lessons, but which specific volume(s) are they in? Lately I've been working on developing a softer attack in the upper register and I was really intrigued when I read this article.

For the flutter/single tounging exercise: is it as simple as alternating every measure? ie flutter for 4 quarters then single for 4? And as a result the tongue naturally finds its "correct" position?

For pop tones: how is this exercise done? I couldn't find any descriptions on this site using the search button.

I wish I could take a lesson or two w/ Mr. Hickman, but unfortunately we're on opposite sides of the country.

[James Lipton]: What is your favorite sound?
[Clint Eastwood]: A trumpet.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in college, I had some problems with tongue p[lacement. Luckily, my professor had just finished studying with Hickman not too long before I arrived. He had me do this: for the flutter excercise, use the Arban excercises beginning on p. 23 (the Syncopepation Studies). Flutter the long note. (ie in #19, the 1/8 at the beginning of each bar; in #22 the 1/8 following the paired 1/16 notes).

I didn't do the popped excercises, so I don't know what they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namuhs55,

Go to Tromba Publications and scroll about halfway down the page. You are looking for:

Quote:

Hickman, David - Trpt Lessons Vol. IV Technique: Articulation & Finger Dexterity $12.00
Chapters on technique, articulation and dexterity are addressed in the concise, yet thorough style that characterizes the whole series.

I have the whole series of Trumpet Lesson books and they are outstanding!

Essentially you have the concept down about fluttering to find the optimal placement for your single tongue. Flutter some, then use the same position for single tongue. Go back and forth between the two until your single tongue placement finds this position on autopilot.

I hope Mr. Hickman will jump in on this topic and give us his description of Pop tones. His students have fantastic clarity in their articulations based on this technique (it’s very fun to sit beside them when they sub in my symphony). You literally hear a ping or pop when these exercises are done properly. I’ll look in Volume IV when I have a chance.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I would find what I was looking for about Pop Tones! Here are some references:

David Hickman Lecture / Performance with ASU Trumpet Ensemble

ITG 2003 - TRUMPET CLINIC & DEMONSTRATION presented by David R. Hickman

Hope this helps!
Namuhs55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpter1 & Derek,

Thanks again for the quick response. Obviously, the best way to learn a new technique is to hear it from the teacher or someone who has studied w/ the teacher as it is hard sometimes to put sound into words. However, in viewing the links provided I feel I have a better understanding of pop tones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds as though you play at a very quiet volume level, to the point where a regular-non-accented attack's volume is greater than the following sounding of the note and that's where the "popping" sound is created. It seems like pop tones are almost an extension of whisper tones. Regardless of whether or not I'm grasping the concept, this is a good reminder for me to do more quiet playing.

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namuhs55,

It sounds like you understand Pop tones conceptually. Hearing these done properly is very important, and until I heard Mr. Hickman in his "preview" masterclass for the 2003 ITG, I didn't quite understand them. Hope you can find a way to have someone demonstrate them to you. They are very effective when done properly!

Good luck.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop tones are fun, and easy.

If you pop the mouthpiece with your hand, you will get an idea. When played, pop tones sound like very soft palm pops but the actual pitches are there. No real tone.....just a pitch/pop. This indicates that the air column is instantly activated at the correct note setting. If you get a pop but no pitch, then your embouchure set was off a tiny bit. If the pitch is there but all you get is a "woosh" of air, then the tongue movement is too slow or inefficient in some way.

Playing loudly, but incorrectly, can hide a faulty attack because the sheer volume masks it. Ever wonder why the Arban, Clarke, et. al. exercises are mostly written at "p" or "mp"? Pop tones just take the concept of 100% clarity (perfectly instant and well placed) to the max. Then, when playing louder, the clarity is even easier.

I ALWAYS strive to have a pop present in my attacks. This is especially important for rhythmic clarity in soft, delicate passages such as lighter cornet solos, Haydn concerto, Hummel concerto, baroque works on piccolo, etc. If you listen to Maurice Andre playing very delicately, you will hear the little pops in the bell as he lightly articulates so cleanly.

Dave Hickman
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Pop tones are fun, and easy.

If you pop the mouthpiece with your hand, you will get an idea. When played, pop tones sound like very soft palm pops but the actual pitches are there. No real tone.....just a pitch/pop. This indicates that the air column is instantly activated at the correct note setting. If you get a pop but no pitch, then your embouchure set was off a tiny bit. If the pitch is there but all you get is a "woosh" of air, then the tongue movement is too slow or inefficient in some way.

Playing loudly, but incorrectly, can hide a faulty attack because the sheer volume masks it. Ever wonder why the Arban, Clarke, et. al. exercises are mostly written at "p" or "mp"? Pop tones just take the concept of 100% clarity (perfectly instant and well placed) to the max. Then, when playing louder, the clarity is even easier.

I ALWAYS strive to have a pop present in my attacks. This is especially important for rhythmic clarity in soft, delicate passages such as lighter cornet solos, Haydn concerto, Hummel concerto, baroque works on piccolo, etc. If you listen to Maurice Andre playing very delicately, you will hear the little pops in the bell as he lightly articulates so cleanly.

Dave Hickman

Sounds very interesting. Could you use the same technique to practise "ka" syllables?
Bugler90
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very interesting but when you flutter tong is the flutter on the tip of your tong or your going to feel like on the "midle" or back, not on the troat, of the tong??
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugler-Whe I do the flutter, it's on the tip. That's where I have my students do it, too. Sort of like "rr" in Spanish. The back of the tongue produces more of a growl, as does the middle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bugler90
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will work harder to obtain the tip of the tong.
Namuhs55

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hickman, thank you for the clarification. During my practice last night I believe I was able to achieve the desired result as there was a definite "ping" in front of the notes, well, some of them anyways. After playing thru some Rochut etudes in this manner (ignoring slurs), it really cleared up some articulation probs I've been having, especially w/ those soft, mid-to-high entrances.

trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point of flutter will vary for each person. However, wherever YOUR flutter is stemming from (as long as it is not way in the back, or to the side of the oral cavity) that would be YOUR best placement.

Dave Hickman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: