• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve guards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Valve guards Reply with quote

Does this look like a pertty good valve guard:
http://www.giardinelli.com/srs7/fg=42/g=brass/search/detail/base_pid/541046/
I'm trying to stay away from the bach ones because I've heard some bad things. So any help would be appreciated.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the search feature on this website. There has been a lot of debate over valve guards, which valve guards, etc.
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reccomend the Yamaha ones. It's what i've been using for years and I swear by it. It's velcro and has leather on one side and almost a fleece on the other. It's amazing quality and works fine. And it doesn't leave tarnish black stuff on the valves.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Holton ST 308 "Maynard Ferguson"
karlose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a reunion blues velcro valve guard and it works great! I have had it for about 7 years now and it is still in decent shape.

Marcinkiewicz™ Rembrandt™ "MIC GILLETTE" Model: SC3X.351L RLP Trumpet

F.E. Olds & Son "Clark Terry" Flugelhorn

"SHUT UP AND PLAY!!"
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally stronly object to the use of any valve guards, not even a piece of cloth. I find them dampening the sound and make the horn less responsive.

https://www.facebook.com/hkvmc.hk/
Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken_fung wrote:
I personally stronly object to the use of any valve guards, not even a piece of cloth. I find them dampening the sound and make the horn less responsive.

Really? Is that true? I never thought of that.

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Leather Specialities valve guards on and off.....they are the best any money can buy

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could get a leather specialties one off giardinellis I'd buy one. I've heard good things about them. But my parents are weird when it comes to online ordering and they only let me order off there. And giardinelli only has the bach ones and the protec one. That's my dilema.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rondawg wrote:
If I could get a leather specialties one off giardinellis I'd buy one. I've heard good things about them. But my parents are weird when it comes to online ordering and they only let me order off there. And giardinelli only has the bach ones and the protec one. That's my dilema.

Then unless you REALLY want one, id skip it because most of them turn your valve casings black anyways. Leather Specialties is the only quality one out there and unless your hands eat away at the lacquer or silver finishes, there really just cosmetic. Though alot of people swear by them and feel that trumpets with valve guards is a MUST. However I dont feel that way UNLESS your sweat eats through the finish.

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was younger I used those Giardinelli valve guards for a number of years. I was totally satisfied and no negative side effects from the usage.

I now go guardless, mainly because I don't like the looks of the guards and think that I get most, if not all, the benefits by washing my hands before playing and wiping the horn regularly.

IMHO, the Leather Specialties things are ugly as sin. I'd rather have worn lacquer than have one of those things on my trumpet.

Dave
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well two thoughts. Apparently when I was younger, I had high acid content in my body and it did a number on my Strad. Thus I used a guard. Years of paranoia later, I used it on my 6310z lacquer for the same reason. After a conversation with Bobby Shew, He told me that the covers WILL inhibit the response, stemming from the valve section. Well, I can't speak for anyone else but....HE WAS SO RIGHT! I experimented with his theory and the response was night and day!! The horn opened WAY UP! I can say that because the cover was on the horn from DAY ONE!! As a bonus, I noticed that I must have gone through some metabolic change because I don't notice any wear on my horn and the cover's been off for almost a year! My 2 cents.
still_fiddlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have, or I think I do. They have a #1 and #2, don't know which I've got (from Dillon's). But, the one I have (leather, velcro) I've used on a silver King Super 20, lacquer Yamaha 6445H, 4335G and silver Kanstul 1504.

WW&BW Leather Specialties

My skin's not acidic/corrosive, so I don't "eat through" silver or lacquer, but my RH thumb eventually chews up anything. Mostly, though, I just prefer the the feel.
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro wrote:
After a conversation with Bobby Shew, He told me that the covers WILL inhibit the response, stemming from the valve section. Well, I can't speak for anyone else but....HE WAS SO RIGHT! I experimented with his theory and the response was night and day!!

Thanks for confirming my earlier post. Yes, I have noticed this myself long time ago. You will never see me or any of my students using valve guard, or even a cloth.

But I guess few others are listening...

cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken_fung wrote:
Pedro wrote:
After a conversation with Bobby Shew, He told me that the covers WILL inhibit the response, stemming from the valve section. Well, I can't speak for anyone else but....HE WAS SO RIGHT! I experimented with his theory and the response was night and day!!

Thanks for confirming my earlier post. Yes, I have noticed this myself long time ago. You will never see me or any of my students using valve guard, or even a cloth.

I don't use them either.... I too can confirm that it has a negative effect on the sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
VM Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:
ken_fung wrote:
Pedro wrote:

I don't use them either.... I too can confirm that it has a negative effect on the sound.

And I thought I was crazy when I experienced this! I was cleaning it last week and took it off. When I was done I didn't put it back on for a change of pace, and that night at the musical I played, the feedback was catastrophically different. The horn felt alive and it was a lot louder (I'm not sure that was/is such a good thing, but...). Amazing.

My experience (I don't think I'll be using them for a very long time).

-VM Trumpet
Kanstul BMV 1 1/2C/10, W3S/RZR, Yamaha 11B4
brassmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as a lot of what could be happening is just mental. When I first buy a mouthpiece I think.... WOW this is the one!! Listen to how everything is different.. blah blah blah. Then a couple of days later its all back to square one.
So what Im thinking could be happening is that its just a change of pace like already said and that it really doesnt change tons.
However I personally DO have to use one because of my acidic hands. I use one of the deluxe Leather Specialties so it covers some on my 1st and third slide along with part of the bell. Basically it covers everywhere but the 1,3 rings and the pinky ring..... which are all highly corroded by the way.
At one point I tried to take it off becuase I heard people saying that it really messed with sound and whatnot, but when I took it off I never really heard a difference. Not to mention that my hand started hurting after 8+ hours on raw metal vs. padding.
Just my thoughts...... besides what works for me might not work for everyone else, but it sure makes ME happy!

Josh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the valve guard down and just use the portion that goes around the bottom of the valve below the slides. this keeps my wedding ring from scratching the horn. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ken_fung wrote:

I think you do have a point here. Even Larry Black himself ... owner & maker of Leather Specialities, inc. will admit that. When I discussed the matter with him...WAYYYYY back in 1993, he stated that he used his guard when practicing and teaching ... but during Atlanta Symphony rehearsals and performances, the guard came off.
ken_fung
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riffdawg2000 wrote:
ken_fung wrote:

I think you do have a point here. Even Larry Black himself ... owner & maker of Leather Specialities, inc. will admit that. When I discussed the matter with him...WAYYYYY back in 1993, he stated that he used his guard when practicing and teaching ... but during Atlanta Symphony rehearsals and performances, the guard came off.

I am glad I have been correct about valve guards.

But I see no point to practice with guards on and perform without! It is just like practicing on one horn and performing on another...sounds too scary for me...

Jazzy_Mike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmonkey wrote:
but it sure makes ME happy!

Josh

They make me happy too!

Conn Vintage 1 1BR-SP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: