• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mixing and matching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Mixing and matching Reply with quote

Has anyone had any success mounting a Bach bell and leadpipe on a Yamaha body?

Is this as easy as mounting a Bach bell on a Bach body, or are the parts incompatable without modifications?

Thanks guys.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mixing and matching Reply with quote

josephus07 wrote:
Has anyone had any success mounting a Bach bell and leadpipe on a Yamaha body?

Yes - Will Spencer - Yamaha C trumpet (Xeno I think), with assorted Bach bells that fit it. I have a feeling he has got a Bach leadpipe on it as well.
www.willspencer.org or PM modularwill

I am sure he will be very happy to discuss what he has done.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Larson will do it too, and he'll stick his version of a Malone leadpipe on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for a Frankenhorn?
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure!

Most any bell can be attached to any horn. Yup, the inner diameters are probably pretty close . . . but no problem . . . where there's a will there's a way.

These things are best accomplished when the moon is full and the tide is "out" in your specific locale. The result is a horn that plays like the one owned by Dr. Jeckyl. Horns converted on a new moon when the tide is full sound like a horn owned by Mr. Hyde.

Seriously though . . . why would you want to do this? Rumor has it that most manufacturers spend tons of money experimenting until a specific model plays as good as it can. Whenever ANY component on an instrument is changed or moved (even a brace) . . . the instrument WILL play and sound "different." If the manufacturer has already optimized his product to play its best . . . what are the odds that a "Frankenhorn" would sound better or play better?

Additionally, no one wants to buy a "Frankenhorn." They are sort of like a Ford pickup with a Chevy pickup bed bolted on. Once you discover it sucks you'll have a hard time getting rid of it. Luckily . . . human ego blocks out this realization for at least three months in most cases.

Food for thought.

Tom Turner
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points everyone. Why do it? Thought I'd try a Yamaha body (ease of playing, intonation) with a 229G bell (sound, ring, core, etc).

I think Ken Larson's site mentions this option, like Swingin' Tpt mentioned. If it plays great, no need to sell (because every project horn plays great

Thanks for the info.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Sure!

Seriously though . . . why would you want to do this? Rumor has it that most manufacturers spend tons of money experimenting until a specific model plays as good as it can.
Tom Turner

Hi
There seem to be a few folk who like to "experiment". The principal at the BBC Symphony, Bill Houghton used a Yam C with a Bach bell the last time I saw him ( a while back). Mark Bennet used to play on all sorts of things soldered together and I seem to have seen a good few E3L and its' 4 valve relative with Bach C trumpet bells.
Also there seems to be quite a market for aftermarket lead pipes with guys like Najoom, Larsen and Malone.
all the best
Brian Jones
modularwill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Bill's Yamabach Reply with quote

Yes. You are right about Bill Houghton. He did play an old Yamaha C trumpet with a 25GH & extra thick silver plate.
He then purchased a Xeno...Thinking that this must be the C trumpet to own, I purchased one myself.
A few months down the line I put a 25LR Bb leadpipe on it and it is a much better instument. Funilly enough Bill Houghton phoned me asking about converting his Xeno. I did this conversion for him and he now has his 25GH bell with reversed Schilke type fittings (ie the bell fits in to a slide) and a Larsen leadpipe.
It sounds great and shows what inteligent players with patience and an aimiable repairman can achieve.
I now play my Xeno C with a 229G bell & 25 or 43 R leadpipes but can also put on any bell leadpipe combination I like as the whole instrument is modular.
As the new Yamie C becomes available the older Xeno should be available second hand and just changing the leadpipe can really improve the tone & intonation.
While on Franken trumpets, I have an old Yamie Eb/D with tuning bell. Sticking a schilke leadpipe on improves the intonation stacks and I have also made the bells heavier by 33% by copper plating them. This gives the instrument more core and less sizzle.
Good clean fun!
Yamie Long Model Bb/A picc
Yamie tuning bell D/Eb with Schilke leadpipe & Xeno C bell
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew it was only a matter of time before Will found this thread
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bill's Yamabach Reply with quote

modularwill wrote:

While on Franken trumpets, I have an old Yamie Eb/D with tuning bell. Sticking a schilke leadpipe on improves the intonation stacks and I have also made the bells heavier by 33% by copper plating them. This gives the instrument more core and less sizzle.
Good clean fun!

Hi Will
Tell me, would you be up for having a go at my B&S 4 valve Eb. I have been thinking about adding a bigger bell and have bought a couple to try. Ah, the wonder of ebay.
I have a Callet C bell and a Bach Strad 37 (I know it's big but might be interesting).
As it's a tunable bell already I hope it'll be quite straight forward.
all the best
Brian Jones
modularwill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Bells for your B & S Reply with quote

Actually, B & S do make a bigger bell which I should have in very shortly.
It makes the lower notes much more secure as well as making a fatter sound. The problem you will have with the ones you want to try is that they may be too big. ie they will put you into D and re bending is not easy.
You may also be interested in the Bach 236 which can be ordered short.
If I were you I would try to get your hands on the B & S bell first before butchering stuff.
If you had the 3 valve, you may have got away with chopping the tuning slide. My Yamie happily takes a 72!
Email me direct if you have any queries.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bells for your B & S Reply with quote

modularwill wrote:
Actually, B & S do make a bigger bell which I should have in very shortly.
It makes the lower notes much more secure as well as making a fatter sound. The problem you will have with the ones you want to try is that they may be too big. ie they will put you into D and re bending is not easy.
You may also be interested in the Bach 236 which can be ordered short.
If I were you I would try to get your hands on the B & S bell first before butchering stuff.

Hi Will
Thanks for the reply. The 37 Strad bell I have is off a long model cornet so it looks at 1st glance to be right about the same length as the B&S original bell. I would be interested in the larger B&S bell when you get it in though.
BTW though I'd love to get a D version of that trumpet. If a bell could be added that would put it in D it could be interesting.
many thanks
Brian Jones
modularwill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,
The 37 cornet bell should be fine. You will need to pester me regarding the B & S bell. It was ordered before xmas.
I havn't tried getting mine into D yet but B & S do slides & bell for E.

Cheers
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd chime in here that I used a fully converted Yamalone that had a 229G bell on it - AMAZING instrument. Sounded great from what i can remember, however I still like my new Chicago more overall.

Cheers!
Aaron Norlund
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trombahonker has now officially won the best avatar award, fell out of my chair.
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new Xeno 8445G and it plays great. Not the Chicago, but I dont make my living playing a C horn. I did try it with several other C's in a row and this one had something "special" to it.

As far as the bells go, I have been told that Yamaha is going to be putting a bell similar to the chicago bell on all of the Xenos soon. The new Xenos will have similar bell constuction to the Shew model, which was inspired by the chicago. Yamaha knows some feel the feedback and "lack of character" thing is a problem ( I dont think it is, I like my Xenos). Just to let you know, you might be able to get a Yamaha bell for your Yamaha.

Would you call that a Yamaha-aha??
modularwill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the Shew model but the new Chicago model bell is a different construction because yamaha reluctantly had to make the bell the same thickness throughout the flair.
This came from the players helping with the development.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh...When I was talking to Bob Malone at NAMM, he was really excited about the new bell construction. Do you think that perhaps they're only going back to the old style bell construction for a limited time, or is this something permanent? Has anyone played one of these new Chicagos? How do they play? Are they comparable to the original Chicagos?

Is this the wrong thread?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm an experimenter - I just had a large and heavy Mf Horn bell installed on an English made Besson 10-10.....it sounds awesome...much like a vintage Benge I had about 35 years ago!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: