• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What Cornet Do You Recommend?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tknowlton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: What Cornet Do You Recommend? Reply with quote

I am a classical trumpeter. I am 33 years old now and I play my Bach-Malone C trumpet for almost everything. BUT, I started on the cornet 22 years ago as a boy playing a Getzen Capri that I loved!!! Alas, that horn is now gone, and I miss that warm intimate sound that it gave me. Now I have some money and I want to buy a Cornet. WHAT SHOULD I GET?

This Cornet would be used primarily to play cornet solos with piano accompaniment and in teaching private lessons, and to a lesser extent with wind ensembles and possibly even british brass bands.

I want the best I can get without paying much more than $2000.

recommendations for mouthpiece would also appreciated. I play a Bach 3C on my B-flat and C trumpets.

Thanks!

P.S. after reading the message boards I am initially considering Getzen Eterna or Custom Series, Kanstul, or Lawler. I am also curious about any decent French brands.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH, a great resource.

As with all instrument choices, you are the only person who can make the final decision, but there are a few that you should consider, in my view.

Besson - Prestige - their top line model
Besson - Sovereign - the absolute standard in the British Brass Band
Yamaha - Maestro (often known as the 6335)
Courtois
Getzen
Kanstul
Smith-Watkins
Taylor (Andy Taylor currently produces what I feel is the finest cornet on the market, if I were playing cornet regularly I would want one of these - the sound is just gorgeous)
Wild Thing - I can think of at least one person on TH who will swear by this instrument

Eclipse are currently in the final stages of development with their cornet, if it is anything like their trumpet/flugel it will be worth investing in. Currently beyond your budget, but well worth keeping an eye open for.
M.lock3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Cornet model ! Reply with quote

Hi
I played principal in a british brass band for a while in what they call the championship section.
Check out a new or second hand Bach Strad 184 large bore . They can be pure velvet !
kind regards
Mike Lock
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you know what my recommendation is going to be.

I say try out a 3850 Custom Series cornet. The .464" bore and copper bell combine to give the horn the exact sound you mentioned. If you don't want to drop that much money, try the 800 Eterna cornet. Both are great horns. Both have also gotten a lot of positive posts on here regarding their play. I know that there have been some pretty recent threads regarding the 3850 started by players that tried them at an SBT tour event.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

I say try out a 3850 Custom Series cornet. The .464" bore and copper bell combine to give the horn the exact sound you mentioned. If you don't want to drop that much money, try the 800 Eterna cornet. Both are great horns. Both have also gotten a lot of positive posts on here regarding their play. I know that there have been some pretty recent threads regarding the 3850 started by players that tried them at an SBT tour event.

Brett Getzen

Does the 3850 come with 1st and 3rd saddles as an option or just triggers as pictured on your web site? I'm looking at cornets right now for an upcoming recording project and I'm interested in trying your stuff.

- Joshua Whitehouse
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

Brett Getzen

Does the 3850 come with 1st and 3rd saddles as an option or just triggers as pictured on your web site? I'm looking at cornets right now for an upcoming recording project and I'm interested in trying your stuff.

- Joshua Whitehouse
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:

Brett Getzen

- Joshua Whitehouse
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Getzen 850, the 3850’s predecessor. By no means am I a cornet expert, but I recently had an opportunity to A/B several cornets and found that none of the cornets that I tried were anywhere close to the 3850 in sound or ease of playing. My 850 was close, but Getzen has obviously made some changes in the 3850. I have found that mouthpiece selection make a huge difference. The Getzen 4B that came with mine produces a completely different sound than my cornet shank 3C. The 3C has more of a trumpet sound than the 4B, but the 3C on cornet does sound less bright than on a trumpet. I played the cornet in church yesterday and found it to have a nice rich sound without overpowering the somewhat small sanctuary. I recommend that you give the 3850 a try.
tknowlton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:

Courtois
Getzen
Kanstul
Smith-Watkins
Taylor (Andy Taylor currently produces what I feel is the finest cornet on the market, if I were playing cornet regularly I would want one of these - the sound is just gorgeous)
Wild Thing - I can think of at least one person on TH who will swear by this instrument

After the Taylor, which two do you think are the best, again with a $2000 budget in mind?
tknowlton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetertom wrote:
I recently purchased a Getzen 850, the 3850’s predecessor. By no means am I a cornet expert, but I recently had an opportunity to A/B several cornets and found that none of the cornets that I tried were anywhere close to the 3850 in sound or ease of playing.

Do you know how much the Getzen 3850's run in price?
Do the mouthpieces you recommend have a "V" cup? What are your thoughts on this matter?

Thanks?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tknowlton wrote:
trumpetmike wrote:

Courtois
Getzen
Kanstul
Smith-Watkins

After the Taylor, which two do you think are the best, again with a $2000 budget in mind?

Well, I play a Maestro - make of that what you will.
I like the way the Prestige plays, but have no idea what they are currently selling for - Besson seem to change the price on that instrument quite regularly (I will make some enquiries).
The older Sovereigns are, in my eyes (ears), some of the finest cornets you can find. Rumour hath that they have been making some serious improvements on the quality front with some of the newer Sovereigns, I will do some research and find out more for you.
The Smith-Watkins will probably be out of your budget (again, no idea on pricing without checking).

I played a Getzen at ITG last year and it was very impressive. Whether I would rank it alongside my Maestro - not quite, but I am very used to the way that my Maestro plays, so maybe that is a little unfair. It is definitely on the list you should try though.

I can rank what I think of each instrument, but (as I discovered at ITG) I play cornet very differently to many people who attend such trumpet festivals - the joy of training in Huddersfield (brass band central!).

The only person who can really say which instrument is better for you, is you.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tknowlton wrote:
trumpetertom wrote:
I recently purchased a Getzen 850, the 3850’s predecessor. By no means am I a cornet expert, but I recently had an opportunity to A/B several cornets and found that none of the cornets that I tried were anywhere close to the 3850 in sound or ease of playing.

Do you know how much the Getzen 3850's run in price?
Do the mouthpieces you recommend have a "V" cup? What are your thoughts on this matter?

Thanks?

At the Getzen tour, I believe it was about $1300 (1299.). It plays well with any decent mp, choose according to sound desired.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3850 comes standard with first and third slide triggers. There is not an option for saddles instead. However, you can get an 800 Eterna cornet with the same copper bell as the 3850 and in a large (.462") bore. Granted, that is smaller than the 3850's .464" bore, but it is still very close if you just can't go with the triggers.

As for price, it's hard to say. The MSRP on a 3850 in lacquer is $1864 with the minimum advertised price being $1289.95. If I had to guess I would say that the actual street price is somewhere around $1200. Although, I do know of a few retailers that sell them for considerably less. I can really say who or how much for obvious reasons, but they are out there and have been mentioned on TH several times. Ask around and you'll find out.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
ROGERIO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Cornet Reply with quote

I recently tried a Schilke XA1against a Yamaha Heavy Wall, a Bach 184 and a Getzen (sorry, don't remember model) and I was impressed enough with the Schilke to buy it.

Very sweet sound... and all the usual Schilke craftsmanship to boot!! It may have just been me, but I just could not get the Yammy to respond as well... nice horn... just felt like I was driving a tank...

RE: Schilkes - Not many are made every year, so you may need to work a little harder to find one to try. I had some luck by calling Schilke and asking who got the last shipment... then working out a trial period.

Through some great association, I have found that when it comes to cornet playing... IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MOUTHPIECE.

"No C cups.... a V cup is a must."

Does everyone agree??

Good luck tknowlton! Let us know what you decided on.
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently came back from the NABBA (North American Brass Band Assoc.) convention and had a chance to try quite a few cornets while I was there. Here are some of my observations.

1. The Getzens I feel offer the best bang for the buck. The Eterna is probably the most popular cornet in the American brass band circles. A real steal.

2. The best horn I tried there (IMHO) was the Smith Watkins professional with the K2 leadpipe. An absolutely fabulous horn all the way around. Unfortunateluy it runs about $ 3100 in the U.S.

3. I also had a chance to try a Besson Prestige. Really great horn and for only $ 2000 probably the winner in that price class. Lots of bells and whistles on it especially the left thumb trigger that controls the main tuning slide. Very cool. I understand that they have made some recent changes (for the better) on their fit and finish which was kinda holding them back in the U.S. A very flashy horn.

4. The Shilke soprano Eb cornet was of course the real star in the soprano class.

5. The Schilke XA1 Bb cornet is of course very nice (a tad bright for my taste) but a beautiful horn nonetheless. Runs about $ 1900.

6. I also tried a guys Lawler. I had tried one before and this was essentially the same. A slightly tighter blow than most of the rest of the horns I have tried but a really unique, mossy sound. Very, very unique sound. A real steal for what Roy sells them for. Custom built also !!

7. Last but not least - I brought my Stomvi Master Ti cornet with me and compared it against all the others all day long with every mpc known to mankind. Had a lot of other people try it as they are somewhat rare (especially in the brass band world). I would say that everybody who tried it was very favorably impressed. Everybody loved the valves and the super dark tone quality and the overall smoothness. A very unique instrument. Of course they also liked the interchangable bell system and the vented valves. Unfortunately, because of the exchange rate on the Euro a Stomvi Master Ti will set ya back over $ 3500 these days

8. IMHO the best horns up there were my Stomvi and the Smith Watkins.

Hope this helps

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Stomvi wrote:
I just recently came back from the NABBA (North American Brass Band Assoc.) convention and had a chance to try quite a few cornets while I was there.

4. The Shilke soprano Eb cornet was of course the real star in the soprano class.

Seth - have you tried the Blackburn soprano? I have tried it at the past couple of ITG conferences and have been stunned by it. It has opened my eyes on sopranos - the Blackburn makes a beautiful sound and it plays in tune - I am still in shock from the first time
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would luuuuuuuuuv to try the Blackburn sop Unfortunately I'm not allowed to come within even ten miles of something like that as my wife would divorce me as they are now running over $ 4000. Ouch. I have had a chance to compare side by side the Schilke sop with berryllium bell, the Yami and a Besson (both new and an older model). The Schilke was heads above the others as far as response and tonal projection. My brass band also owns a Schilke sop (doesn't everyone ?). I'm trying to pick one up somewhere this month but am still trying to shake the money tree

Seth

Billy Wilder
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke is head and shoulders above the Besson/Yamaha etc, but the Blackburn is completely outrageous. If you would even be slightly tempted, ignore the fact that you have heard about it - in fact, never try one - you will regret it (or at least, your wife would make you regret it).
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hve a friend tha bought a Blackburn and is gold plating it. For a grand total of $4500 ish. But the thing is plays great.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely should consider the Schilke XA1. Great horn with wonderful intonation and a wide pallet of tones. Hard to make it sound bad, even if you try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: