• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ambassadors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Ambassadors Reply with quote

what do you guys know abt the Olds Ambassadors? I had one as my student horn, but I was just informed by the chief that Zig Kanstul said they werent student horns...
idk i have since graduated to a custom bach...but have always had an odd attatchment to my ambassador....

any thoughts?

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Olds Ambassador Reply with quote

One word on the olds ambassador. Great.

Yes they are classified as student horns but they have been by far the best student or step up horn I have or tried. It is as good or probaly better than my TR300. And it hasn't been exactly pampered. It used to belong to my uncle(who mistreated it ) and gave it to me when I started. As you can see I have graduated to the TR300 and a bach strad also. But I still love my ambassador.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school district almost everybody started out on an Ambassador cornet, including me, so I have always had a soft spot for Ambassadors. The trumpets are really nice playing horns. I have an LA model that I break out from time to time. I have thought about getting it prettied up, but always decide to leave it just like it is. It's one of my favorite horns. I paid 100 bucks for it and have enjoyed it the whole time I have owned it.

Mike
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ambassadors have consistently been the best deal on ebay. There are so many of them in a variaty of conditions that the price stays down, although a mint condition will go around 200. For some reason, the worst they look, the better they play. These have been the bread and butter of my beginner trumpet crusade, and the cornets go cheaper than the trumpets. I pick up the cornets and sell package deals with trumpet, cornet, Arban's and my own 'FAQ' printouts in a 3 ring binder for around 300. The parents love the price, and the kids get off to a good start. I also do followup calls to make sure everything is going OK.

The valve block on the Ambassador is the same one for the majority of the Olds line, and I've found them to be the most durable beginner trumpet, with the Holton 602 a close second. Sadly, the great dissapointment to me has been the Conn student line instuments. I love my vintage Conns, but have never found a year series where the Directors were good trumpets.
Former user

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one from the 60's. Other trumpets come and go, but not my Ambassador. It's a keeper.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I pick up the cornets and sell package deals with trumpet, cornet, Arban's and my own 'FAQ' printouts in a 3 ring binder for around 300. The parents love the price, and the kids get off to a good start. I also do followup calls to make sure everything is going OK.

That's really cool. If I ever work at a music store again, I'm gonna steal your idea (j/k)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: