• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Ambassador cornet (:>)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Olds Ambassador cornet (:>) Reply with quote

I just bought a 1951 Olds Ambassador cornet and was looking for a little info. It has the original coffin case and music lyre and Olds 3 mouthpiece.

I just got through cleaning it very good... valves look like new... a few minor dings... a little corrosion around the spit valve (anything I can do to get rid of it?).. but all else is great. When I took the valves out I saw that they are not numbered (1,2,3) so it took me a while to get them back in there right place. Did I miss something to figure out what number they are? I polished and the slides and they look like new... put Zaja slide lube on them, oiled the valves with Zaja blue and put it all back together.

WOW... it is great!!! I may have found a new hobby.... cornets.

Thanks for allowing me to share my fun with you all.......
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the spit valve corrosion, take a little piece of the finest grit emory cloth you can find, and lightly buff down to remove the corrosion. Then just paint over it with some clear fingernail polish. I guess you are talking about the small area directly under the spit valve, where it will not be so noticeable. I did this to my old 80-A about 25 years ago, and unless you turn the cornet over, you can't see it.
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing it and emptied the spit and the spit valve nipple came off. I quickly took it to my local repair guy and he will have it back to me tomorrow.
He is also going to put new corks in the spit valves and take the 1 dent out.... can't wait!

ps... It is an amazing player....
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have one of similar vintage. I enjoyed the pix of those AlaskaPro Brass horns so much that I sent it to Borodi's for restoration. Great job - looks like new and plays so wonderfully. The.468 bore is easy to fill and it is delightful to play. I use a Curry 3DC with an Olds shank from Mouthpiece Express to fit the non-standard larger receiver. Like "buddahhh"!
I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Brian
NY Bach Strad M #5391
Bach Strad 43* MK leadpipe and slides
Benge 3MLP ,8Z
Yamaha C 6445S
1924 Conn 22B
Jupiter 1600i
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Hi,

I have one of similar vintage. I enjoyed the pix of those AlaskaPro Brass horns so much that I sent it to Borodi's for restoration. Great job - looks like new and plays so wonderfully. The.468 bore is easy to fill and it is delightful to play. I use a Curry 3DC with an Olds shank from Mouthpiece Express to fit the non-standard larger receiver. Like "buddahhh"!
I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Brian

Tell me more about the mouthpiece... do they stock the Olds blank? Link and price?

Thanks
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Terry Warburton also makes Olds cornet shanks!

Tom
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Hi David,

Terry Warburton also makes Olds cornet shanks!

Tom

Tom... is that in a 2 piece? I emailed KT and never received a reply.... emailed Curry and he said a custom piece would be $90. If Mouthpiece express has then in stock I may check them out.
Do you still have the Sparx? I would like to try one.....

Thanks
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

With Warburton it is always better to call 'em. They should be able to answer your question.

Yes, I still have my Sparx 3. I tried all three of the initial Sparx models and bought the one that sounded best. However, its the size of a Bach 3 and I eventually fell in love with the Warburton 8BC on my cornet (that Roy Lawler brought up for me from Terry at your Jacksonville Horn Fest) . . . so the got played on only a single gig or two . . . then put it back in its little GR tube. It serves as a paperweight to the right of my computer screen as I type this response . . . and hasn't been played for many a month!

I DID get an inquiry from someone wanting to buy it on the 15th of this month. However, he didn't have the money yet and he PM'ed me on the 17th saying" "I'll get back to you on that, next month I hope." I've learned not to hold my breath on things like this, without a firm commitment so . . .

Since I'm getting ready to purchase a couple of Warburton tops from you this very today anyway, if you want to try the Sparx I'll send it to you tomorrow instead of the money!

1. Heck, if you like it, we can call it even if you'd like, for I was going to sell it for about that much anyway! BUT . . .

2. If you don't like it, just let me know and send it back in time for the other guy to get his money together . . . and I'll shoot you a check as planned anyway!

Just let me know if you'd like to do this or not!

Warmest regards,

Tom
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM'ed ya.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got it back home......I still love it!
I have a new receiver on the way so I can use normal cornet mouthpieces.

I think I am hooked!!
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mid-50s vintage Ambassador cornet. One of the early Fullertons, I believe. Plays great, but looked like a 50-year-old student horn. I swapped the bell out with a Yamaha shepherds crook model and had the whole thing plated in silver w/ gold accents. Looks and plays great.

If you have a couple of bills to burn, pick up another Ambassador cornet and get a tech to put a Yamaha SC bell on it. I think you will really be pleased with the result.
Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see a pic?

More to think about!
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Rich Ita does that very modification!

Lots of old Ambassadors, like other horns targeted for the student market, got their bells smashed by their young owners or their friends in accidents. However, the basic Ambassador would still be salvageable. The Yamaha shepherds crook bell has worked out well.

Heck . . . I wonder what would happen with the fast, radical flared Wild Thing shepherd's crook bell on one! Hmm . . . what would one call THAT combination? Maybe an Old(s) Short Little Wild Thang!

Tom
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Hi,

Rich Ita does that very modification!

Lots of old Ambassadors, like other horns targeted for the student market, got their bells smashed by their young owners or their friends in accidents. However, the basic Ambassador would still be salvageable. The Yamaha shepherds crook bell has worked out well.

Heck . . . I wonder what would happen with the fast, radical flared Wild Thing shepherd's crook bell on one! Hmm . . . what would one call THAT combination? Maybe an Old(s) Short Little Wild Thang!

Tom

Tom... find out how much a raw WT bell would be. How much is the conversion? I see Rich is not taking anything else for a while.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
buzzer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: olds ambassador cornet Reply with quote

I also have a 1951 Ambassador cornet. Restored by Kanstul - fantastic job and plays great. Using a GR MP. A "V" cup really makes it sound mellow when needed. Did not realize it was a .468 bore however - thanks for that info!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCB1 wrote:

Tom... find out how much a raw WT bell would be. How much is the conversion? I see Rich is not taking anything else for a while.

Hi,

I'll be glad to ask . . . but I doubt Flip would be able to do that.

He's had that "I'm not taking new orders" sign on his website for months . . . but I imagine that he can and does take new business in. Give him a call on his 800 number and see for sure. He's closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Tom
FatPauly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid you would ask for one! Check out the cornet in the very bottom lefthand corner of this collage. Maybe there is enough there to tantalize you!

When some nicer weather rolls around, I will take better pix of all my horns and post them.

DCB1 wrote:
Can we see a pic?

More to think about!

Electronic mayhem as Uncle Chrome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Albert Richard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Ambassador Maintenance Reply with quote

I, too, an an 50s Ambassador fan. I think of all the so-called student model horns, the 1950s Ambassador stands out as a very versatile and great sounding horn. Because there are so many available (on Ebay) for ver reasonable prices (brass under $100, silver under $200) it is possible to buy "parts" horns.
I do much of the minor work on my own horns and it was not difficult to learn some of the skills. Some of the basic necessities unclude: a buffing station (one motor with two buffing wheels for about $150); a work bench with good light and a horn-clamping arrangement; A soldering iron and/or small torch with some silver solder.; a lot of patience.
I've taken one Ambassador down to raw brass and it looks great. With a little practice you can learn how to solder a new water key in place. Finding vintage parts can be a task but the internet helps a lot. Musical instrument supply companies are disinclined to work with amatuer needs.
I have my own electroplating studio set up and can replate leaky valves with nickel and then "lap" them to fit the valve casings. This saves me a chunk of change.
I encourage collectors to learn some of the basic skills required to make simple restorative improvements on their horns. It's a rewarding experience.
Albert
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just got my Ambassador back from having a new receiver installed. Now I can use any common cornet mouthpiece on it and not some custom piece.

It sure does play well! I have a Sparx and it sounds real nice, and I have a Warburton BC on the way.... fun times ahead.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, DCB. This is interesting. I bought a Sparx 4B and don't like it. It's a little big for me. A week ago I bought an olds3 on ebay. It is sort of beat up but plays okay. I also play an olds3 on my trumpet and it's off at Mouthpiece Express getting refurbished. Don't know if I'll get the cornet olds3 refurbished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: