• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Cornet out there

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gillie89
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked with a magnifying glass and have not been able to find any markings. Perhaps they are there but I just cannot see them. The mpc is somewhat pitted, scratched and the plating has come off in some places. I'll have someone else have a go at it ... Gillie
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For jazz players, the King Master was once the cornet of choice. Don Hahn plays one (after trying out nearly every one at Dillons over the course of 6 months) and he really scored big. I've played a few, and they really are nice, though I did run across a couple (particularly the med. bore ones) that weren't too hot.

As for myself, I have a 1958 Mt. Vernon Bach Mercedes model... was designed as a student model, but this one definitely plays and sounds like a pro model.

These are all non-shepherds crook models... which are generally (though not exclusively) preferred by jazz players.

Warren Vache loves his old student model Yamaha cornet... though it's gone through quite a few modifications...
riffi1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a wide variety of cornets over the last 30 years. Started as a very small boy on an old Besson high pitched which would now be over 100 years old. First new cornet was when I was 10 and got a B&H Imperial for my birthday. Still have it and looks and plays as good as new. I then spent several years in an Army band in Australia where they issued me a Sovereign. In recent years I have accumulated 3 x Conn Directors with a Coprion bell (55, 64 & 67 vintages) which have a nice dark sound, a Bach CR300 (plays very nicely for a student horn), a 1950 Conn 80A and am awaiting delivery of an Olds Ambassador from 1964. I like all of them but if pushed I'd say the Sovereign was the best followed very closely by the 80A. Because I had to double on trumpet in the military I have been using Bach 5B or 5C mouthpieces for a long time but am considering going back to my Wick 4. The Bach is really a trumpet cup and is just too bright on any cornet.

cheers
ROD

thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned price because I'm only in High School. I really should fix up my Ambassador but wanted to know about other affordable cornets out there. Do you guys like ones with triggers on the first and the third? I guess I'm saying affordable is like 1,500 or under.

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best cornet out there? Depends on what you need. There are many, many fine cornets being manufactured, many of which I have played. For most of my purposes, the Schilke works best. I've not played the Smith-Watkins, but when I heard one of the top European staff bands of the Salvation Army a couple of years ago, they were all playing S-Ws provided to them by the Army. However, almost to a man, their personal instruments were Schilke, and they preferred their Schilkes to the S-Ws.

If $$$ is an issue, the Yamaha YCR2330II (is it still available?) is unbeatable.

There are some great old instruments out there, but for the most part, they have trouble fitting into modern, professional ensembles. If you get an old Conn, Boston, Pepper, or even some of the mid-20th century Olds, Kings, etc., plan on it being a solo instrument.

Because cornet mpc designs vary so dramatically, mpcs make more of a difference on cornet than on tpt. A Bach 3-C mpc with a cornet shank will give a much different sound than a vintage American or a British cornet mpc. For my purposes playing Solo Cornet in a(n American) British brass band, the Curry Vintage cornet mpc (deep "v," large throat) is far and away my mpc of choice. Warburton, Marcinkiewicz, Wick, Yamaha, Sparx don't have Curry's combination of tone, pitch, flexibility, range, and comfort.

Denny
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedevilisbad
Now that you have clarified your question, we can forget about the more "high end" brands like Lawler, Smith Watkins, Prestige, and so on. Which brings me back to recommending the Getzen "custom" with copper bell. You can get these either in lacquer finish, which makes for a rather colorful statement, or silver plate. These Getzens are great cornets and quite simply a "best buy" in their price range.
Roynj
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet. I'll just stick with my ambassador for now .

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent really played a ton of Cornets, other than 1 Conn, ew bachs, an Olds, and an oldish Getzen, but my favorite was a Meredith in a local music shop 'ere. Too bad the dude isnt selling it, not that I could afford it if he was.

Martin Williams
trumpetquest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Marcinkiewicz has my vote. Reply with quote

My vote is for the Marcinkiewicz shepherd's crook cornet. I tried the large bore model with the 4X bell and the no. 7 leadpipe at the recent New York Brass Conference. The instrument has all the best sound and response qualities of a vintage instrument with all the intonation and mechanical benefits of a modern instrument. It was such a marvelous experience I ordered one on the spot.

Paul
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a B&S Challenger cornet on trial right now. Any opinions on this model?
Paul.Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried a 3141/2 challenger, technically good horn but tiring to play and hold with a super dull round sound - comes in a great case though with a Bach 3B megatone copy, plays in tune with long shank american cornet mouthpieces including GRs.

Preferred 3141/2 to the Getzen 3850, but top cornet for me is Kanstul Custom CCC930. Suggest you try 930 if on a "budget" - or a Zeus even. Both Kanstuls really.

Yamaha, Bach, Besson and Courtois had nothing special for me either. XA1 too piercing tone. Play GR G66/6 and Sparx 3B.

Suggest you try the horns and whatveer you find best, keep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: