• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke XA1 Vs Kanstul 1530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you like better for BB playing Schilke XA1 or Kanstul 1530
Schilke XA1
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Kanstul 1530
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

2thman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Schilke XA1 Vs Kanstul 1530 Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

I think I have read every string on this site regarding the best cornet choices at least 3 times. I have tried all the cornets I can get my hands on in music stores and those belonging to friends (i.e. Getzen 3850, Yamaha 2330, Bach Strad, King Legend). That seems to be the market in my area, Bachs, Yamahas and Getzens. I feel like a should really try the Schilke XA1 and the Kanstul 1530 before making up my mind. This is primarily for brass band playing. I am using a Sparx 3 mouthpiece. Some say the Schilke plays a little to bright for brass band playing, others say it's the mouthpiece that makes the difference there. I have not seen or heard a bad word about the Kanstul 1530, other than it does not project well by comparison with the Kanstul 930. If I order a Schilke, I don't mind waiting, but playing it side by side with the Kanstul 1530 is going to be a logistical problem. I'm open to suggestions and opinions on both of these instruments as it pertains to which one is best for BB playing and overall quality. I kind of liked the King Legend but more experienced players have discouraged me from buying one.

Your thoughts?
stingaree
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Kanstul/XA1 Reply with quote

I ordered an XA1 a few years ago and sold it because it was so bright sounding. Check out Taylor Trumpets---Andy is the last word in cornets.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Schilke XA1 Vs Kanstul 1530 Reply with quote

I've never played the Schilke XA1..but...I have owned a Schilke A1 and compared it side by side to a Kanstul 1530. Believe it or not...using the same piece, the Schilke had a much warmer sound. Maybe this was due to the fact that the Schilke seemed to have much less resistance to the blow and I felt more relaxed playing it. I can't say for sure but it was Schilke hands down for me! On top of that they say that the Schilke XA1 is even quite a bit darker than the A1. I don't think you can go wrong with the Schilke. FWIW, just my opinion!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know (almost) everyone says the Schilke is too bright. I play an XA1 with a Laskey 84DB piece that has an 18 throat (modified by Scott). It takes a while to get used to that large of a hole, but I defy anyone to say the sound I get is too bright.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
2thman

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I cannot say I'm fully convinced either way, because I have not tried the Schilke, however on Friday I received a new Kanstul 1530 and put in several hours with it over the weekend and a couple more today. My present experience is that the 1530 creates a sound that is full and smooth, and very enjoyable to listen to. It can be made to sound fairly bright, but really speaks beautifully at the dark end of the spectrum and is especially nice in the low range. I am presently using a Sparx 3 mouthpiece, and have also tried a GR66 #3 piece as well. The Sparx 3 creates a very mellow timbre, but requires a little more work in the upper range. The GR66 #3 creates a slightly less mellow timbre (not necessarily bright though) and requires less work in the upper range. Either way the overall sound is pleasing, warm and fairly easy to color either way. I believe that blending with the 1530 will not be a problem.

Thanks for your input, 2thman
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got nothing against or bad to say about the Kanstul (I've got a 1525 Flugal). I've just never played any of their cornets. If it works for you and sounds like you want.............go for it.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: