• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpieces and pitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Mouthpieces and pitch Reply with quote

Gday all
Ive been mucking about with mouthpieces lately,(as we do!) switching between wick 4b and 4(short shank) and Olds 7c and a bach 3c.(long shank). My Olds cornet(A6s) is in tune to a440 using the long shanks with about 12mm pull on the tuning slide. When I switch to the short shank mpcs the pitch drops by about 20 cents. When I try the same thing with my Boosey & Hawkes cornet there is no change in pitch. The pitch change on the Olds is consistent across the register. This is not a problem as I simply play the Olds cornet with the Olds mpc and the Boosey with a wick piece. I am just curious as to why it would be. Both of the cornets, and the mpcs, are in perfect condition.

To paraphrase a famous professor "Why is it so?"

Cheers
Laurie
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie,

"The question arises...."

I can't explain why there is a difference in the Olds but not in the B&H but here is an explanation from a brain much better than mine (and not Professor Julius Summner Miller..yeh, I remember!!) as to the apparent effect or non-effect on mouthpiece length on pitch.

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/questions2.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouthpiece contributes to the overall length of the tubing, the taper of the tubing, and the player's reaction to the horn. All three have an effect on pitch.

It's entirely reasonable that with two different pieces, factors #2 and #3 are more important than #1, so that a longer mouthpiece might actually play sharper.
laurie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor
Thanks for the mouthpiece link. That all makes sense. Now, I remember a time when I would just use the mouthpiece and cornet I was given and go play.With so much information available now I may be in mortal danger of becoming a trumpet geek!!!!!!!!
BTW Trevor....I did the bugle calls at the local A.N.Z.A.C services last week. First time in 25 years. What a nerve wracking experience!!!.
Cheers
Laurie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: