• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The most influential trumpet teacher of all time

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SinfonianTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: The most influential trumpet teacher of all time Reply with quote

Who would you list as the top 5 (or more) trumpet teachers of all time. Did anyone rock the boat in terms of approach, style, etc.?

Last edited by SinfonianTrumpeter on Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Stomvi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban, Clarke, W.B. Rogers, M. Andre

Seth Moore

Billy Wilder
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a lot of the really good modern teachers are came out of the Chicowicz studio. And I'm sure that can be traced back to Clarke somehow.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicowicz, Vacchiano, Sholssberg, Bill Adams, Louis Maggio though ask me tomorrow and the list may be a little different.

Peace,
Kevin

Bruno Walter
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty hard to answer a question like this. I don't know anything about Arban or Clarke as teachers, but it's pretty hard to find a trumpet player of any consequence who hasn't used their exercises. Then there are people like Schlossberg, to whom many players can trace back their pedagogical lineage, who are also famous because of their exercises. Finally, there are people like Cichowicz and Jacobs, who have been hugely influential with their students (and their students' students) but haven't really left huge amounts in the way of formal, published methods.

Of course, it's all intensely subjective, and to a certain extent very dependant on geography. People who studied on the US West Coast tend to be more heavily influenced by James Stamp, whereas obviously in Chicago and vicinity there's much more influence from Cichowicz and Jacobs, and in New York you find lots of Vacchiano students. Then there's Boston and Philly, which are a whole other story again. Obviously, players and teachers are a lot more mobile than they used to be, but you still get pockets of influence. For instance, here in Canada there are an awful lot of Cichowicz students, because of his work with the trumpet section of the National Youth Orchestra and at a camp in Quebec.

And that's just in North America...
popotrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question can't be answered. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Five awesome teachers have five awesome students who can potentially all be succesful in their own field. Though there can probably be a list of most influential teachers, coming up with only one would be impossible.

DT
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Manny is doing on the other site is revolutionary.

You can ask him anything and he will answer.
A lesson without the trumpet. We have never had access to a player like this before. I read his stuff every day. I could be applying it all wrong but it is a fresh new idea and he has a lot of interesting ideas.
dlyren
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny just worked with my BSU trumpet ensemble last week. He did an extraordinary job, as did Doug Carlsen.

To answer the question of this post, though, I think is nearly impossible. There have been so many greats. One that hasn't yet been mentioned is John Haynie.

Del
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a difficult task to limit it to five, but here is my five that I select:
Herbert L. Clarke, Carmine Caruso, Laurie Frink, Bill Adams, and Vincent Cichowicz.

Janell Carter
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Benny Baker has to be considered as one of the greatest. 3 of his students were Ralph Scaffidi (1st lead player on the tonight show, my trumpet teacher), Doc Severinson, who I think is the best their ever was (played 3rd book on the show with Ralph, him and Ralph went to their lessons with Benny together), and Maynard. Pretty good history with Benny I would say. Maynard gives Benny credit for teaching him the yoga breathing. Have no idea who else there might be that studied with Benny. Ralph used to tell me of some of the other greats he studied with on the east coast, but always said Benny was far and away the best.

I personally studied with Jimmy Stamp, Claude Gordon and Ralph Scaffidi. I learned quite a bit from all of them, and enjoyed studying with them, but Ralph was the best when it comes to not only teaching you how to play the trumpet but being a good musician.

See, Rog
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is sort of cheating, but my vote goes to the myriad of nameless sixth grade band directors (taken as a whole) who got us started. Collectively, they're by far the most influential.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the 7th grade, but yeah, I have a very vivid memory of that one day in 7th grade where my band director changed my life with a few words and prod in the right direction. That little bit of encouragement took me from being Mr. Mediocre to the top among my peers, and fostered in me a love for music that burns bright to this day.

But when you look at trumpet playing as a whole and you look toward the teachers of the pros:

Caruso
Vacchianno
Cichowicz
Aarban
Claude Gordon

They should be considered for the list.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban
Schlossberg
Benny Baker
Maggio
Vacchiano
Carmine Caruso
Stamp
Claude Gordon
Don Jacoby
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should add to the list whoever it was that taught Dave Bacon to count

Johann Ernst Altenberg - the number of ideas he had identified in 1795 that we are still using now is quite large. Anybody who hasn't read the Trumpeter & Kettledrummer's Art should really do so, a fascinating book.
Arban - we all know this. He literally wrote the book on it!
Schlossberg - seems to have been one of the most influential when it comes to the US style of teaching. another person who wrote the book on the subject.
Ernest Hall - somebody I doubt many people will be familiar with. According the Denis Wick - "the biggest single influece on British orchestral trumpet playing, who was professor at the Royal College of Music from 1924 until his retirement." Without him the British orchestral style would be vastly different.
David Hickman. This may seem like a strange choice (unless you have met him, been taught by him or heard him talk about teaching) when compared to some of the traditional "great" teachers that are mentioned, but Mr Hickman has an inspirational way with words. I have never had a lesson with him, but have had the chance to hear him speak on the subject of teaching at a couple of ITG conferences. He made everything sound so easy. Reducing complete books into simple comments. I think that he typifies the absolute best in contemporary teaching techniques - to have studied all the possible methods and be able to apply whichever is going to work best to each student. We are lucky to have him posting on TH (and I would be very interested in who he feels are the most influential - that could be a fascinating post).
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting that you mention David Hickman and I think that I was remiss in not mentioning him myself. I was fortunate enough to attend a clinic that he gave in a small town in southwest Nebraska one time back in either 1986 or 87, and while this clinic was structured with the high school student in mind, I came out of that clinic using many of the concepts that it contained in my daily practice and playing. I believe that some of those concepts regarding breathing and long tones I am still using today, and while I'm far from being world class, I'm still playin' and giggin' baby!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike,

Good to see that you remembered some of the old guys. There was one in France (in addition to J. B Arban). His nickname was "Papa" - Merri Franquin. Maurice André was greatly influenced by his method.

More here: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/franquin/

Ole
Lippy1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Who is Manny? What other site?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is almost impossible to do this as far as an all-time list goes. I think you could reasonably make a list such as "the 5 most influential North American trumpet teachers of the last half of the 20th century."

I could simplify this task further by eliminating at least three enormously succesful and influential music teachers who have a great many successful trumpet player students, but who primarily played another instrument and also taught as many or more students on other instruments...Arnold Jacobs, Carmine Caruso, & Donald Reinhardt.

p.s. I find it kind of remarkable that so many of us (rightfully IMHO) consider William Adam to belong among this number and yet misspell his name! There is no "s" at the end of his name (or at the beginning or middle for that matter).

FWIW-

My list of the 5 most influential North American trumpet teachers of 1950-1999 (excluding teachers who primarily played other instruments than trumpet)...

James Stamp
William Adam
Vincent Cichowicz
Claude Gordon
David Hickman

Last edited by PH on Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lippy1 wrote:
Quote:

Who is Manny? What other site?

Here :http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/
bugleboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone remember John Coffey?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: