• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The most influential trumpet teacher of all time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just speaking from personal experience I would laud both Laurie Frink and John McNeil. They are both in their own right, excellent teachers..Both seem to have a knack for focusing in on my needs, and providing a clear and helpful approach. They are both extremely accomplished and two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. John McNeil is also one of the drollest fellows I've ever met. He can express as much about timing through a joke as he can through music! Kudos to both!
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon for butting in, but who is Manny?

trumpetchops wrote:
I think what Manny is doing on the other site is revolutionary.

You can ask him anything and he will answer.
A lesson without the trumpet. We have never had access to a player like this before. I read his stuff every day. I could be applying it all wrong but it is a fresh new idea and he has a lot of interesting ideas.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manny Laureano is principal trumpet with Minnesota Symphony Orchestra.

Listen to him here (he plays Monette): http://www.monette.net/newsite/online/fall2004/prana_c.htm

Ole

P.S.
He was on TH. But some people was very rude and he left.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.S. Williams should be on the list somewhere.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:

Wonder how many players know Ernest Williams.....or practice his books!

Secret Of Technique Preservation!

Mr. Haynie used that a lot, re-wrote it.....

Solid Gold!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest S. Williams was principal trumpet with The Philadelphia Orchestra from 1917 to 1923. There are some links to several fantastic ITG articles about the Ernest S. Williams School of Music and his summer camps. Just scroll down one post. Talk about an extremely influential person! Wow!
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
Pops wrote:

Wonder how many players know Ernest Williams.....or practice his books!

Secret Of Technique Preservation!

Mr. Haynie used that a lot, re-wrote it.....

Solid Gold!

Pops wrote about ES Williams to. I finally remember this is the other teacher Ralph had, that he used to speak of. He spoke very highly of Mr Williams, but felt Benny was better at helping them all to really play the horn.

Great post Pat. I agree that it would be very difficult to make a list of this nature. There have been and are so many good teachers.

See ya, Rog
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj wrote:
There was one in France (in addition to J. B Arban). His nickname was "Papa" - Merri Franquin. Maurice André was greatly influenced by his method.

More here: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/franquin/

Ole - as ever, that site is fantastic. I had completely forgotten about Franquin (but I HAD heard of him!). Without him we may never have had many of the great french (and french influenced) trumpet pieces.
I think I will stick to my five for now though - if only to prove that I can count
SinfonianTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
oj wrote:
There was one in France (in addition to J. B Arban). His nickname was "Papa" - Merri Franquin. Maurice André was greatly influenced by his method.

More here: http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/franquin/

Ole - as ever, that site is fantastic. I had completely forgotten about Franquin (but I HAD heard of him!). Without him we may never have had many of the great french (and french influenced) trumpet pieces.
I think I will stick to my five for now though - if only to prove that I can count

FYI: Enesco dedicated "Legend" to Merri Franquin
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugleboy wrote:
Doesn't anyone remember John Coffey?

As I was scrolling down I was thinking, " Who did John Coffey study with?" Then I saw your post!

I know that Herseth and Irv Sarin studied with Magers. Voisin had to be influenced by him if he didn't actually studywith him. Vacchianno was from the northeast. Did he study with him also?

Vacchianno is certainly infuential.

Kaderabek taught Cichowicz how to play a high C.

Isn't everyone in the USA influenced by Max Schlossberg?

Carmine Caruso.
Louis Davidson.
Arban,
Clarke
Goldman
Mendez with all his clinics.

Sol Caston and his student Sam Krauss

The guy from St Louis that taught Miles

Sorry that's more than 5 and there are others that I didn't mention that deserve to be.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had hoped that this Trumpet Tree project would take off that Wayne Bennett started several years ago. I’m not sure what happened, but it had real promise to be something special. I know that many of the individual branches of the tree were leading back to the “most influential” teachers.

I think if you dig back far enough, there are many cross-over teachers that ended up influencing the finest players of our day. PH has mentioned Arnold Jacobs (tuba). I know that many of the ideas that Marcel Tabuteau (oboe) presented (also William Kincaid - flute) can be found in players like Michael Sachs and Wilmer Wise. Orchestral players can’t help being influenced by the sound concepts of others in their orchestra that then flow into their teaching (in some way). Emmanuel Pahud (flute), Dale Clevenger (horn), Jay Friedman (trombone), etc. all give us extremely high musical interpretations to consider.

Sorry for the tangent!

Last edited by Derek Reaban on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apropos "trumpet tree"...

One of Merri Franquin's student was Georges Mager (1885 - 1950), who later travelled to USA and became first trumpet with Boston Symphony Orchestra (pricipal from 1919 - 1950).

Here is a quote from Don Johnsen's article, "Schlossberg was right":
Quote:
The renowned Brass teacher and author, Max Schlossberg, probably turned out more first class brass players than anyone in North America. Superb First trumpet players such as Bernie Glow, Manny Klein, Louis Davidson and countless others owe much to Max Schlossberg.

So, Max should no doubt be on the top 5 list. But who did he study with?

Ole

P.S. More of Johnson's article here: http://www.warburton-usa.com/newsletter/Schlossberg.htm
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the ITG Journal Article about Max Schlossberg, he studied with his brother Joseph beginning at age 9 (his older brother was a student at the Imperial Conservatory of Moscow). Several years later he studied with Professors Marquard, Putkammer, and Adolph Souer at the Imperial Conservatory of Moscow. Then he moved to Berlin and studied with Professor Julius Kosleck.
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied extensively with Ghitalla and Cichowicz, but I've got to say Jim Pandolfi is the one who has influenced me the most. He is by far the greatest teacher I've ever had.

romey
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romey,

Just to add some content to your post (and hopefully to get some additional background), Jim Pandolfi was in the trumpet section of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra for many years. I don’t have any other bio information for him, but would really like to know more if you could post it here.

Based on comments from an earlier discussion, I found that Nedo Pandolfi had been a trumpet player in the Marlboro Festival Orchestra in the 50s. Peter Bond mentioned that Jim’s Uncle Roland is a hornist with the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra, and his father played both trumpet and horn. Benjamin Brown commented that Nedo Pandolfi played with the National Radio Symphony of Uruguay in the 50s and 60s, so clearly there was a lot of great playing that Jim was exposed to at an early age.

Who did all of these players study with? I’m sure the lineage will go back to familiar names on this Trumpet Tree list.

At least one prominent Jim Pandolfi student is David Krauss.
JohnL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Most influential trumpet teacher Reply with quote

Raymond Crisara!!
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a general point, I think it should be remembered that some teachers like Max Schlossberg mainly taught the most promising students.

Harry Jenkins in an article in the "Instrumentalist" magazine (April 1981) "Studies with Schlossberg" describes the process:

" In 1934, while a student in junior high school, I was fortunate enough to be chosen for a trumpet scholarship class sponsered by the New York Philharmonic Symphony Society and taught by Max Schlossberg. Assisted by Albert Becker, himself an outstanding trumpet player and high school music director, Schlossberg screened each student carefully for potential talent. After the auditions several weeks elapsed before a post card was sent through the mail announcing the names of those who had been awarded the scholarship lessons."

I like a quote by James Stamp in the 'Roy Poper's Guide to the Brasswind Methods of James Stamp' (p.4):

He once told me that good teaching was being able to improve the level of the average student. "Your best students," he said, "just make you look good."

Andrew Tomlinson
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugleboy wrote:
Doesn't anyone remember John Coffey?

Charly,
Can you tell us a little more about John Coffey? I've read that he was one of Bill Chase's teachers. Russ Devuyst (sp?) also spoke very highly of him. Russ also mentioned another teacher in Boston who had been very helpful, Nat something. I think the last name started with a P. Does this ring any bells with you?

Thanks,
Matt
ADziuk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I was substitute teaching at Rosemount Highschool the day you were there with the Bemidji Trumpet Ensemble! I was busy as heck(covering for two teachers at once) but I caught a little standing at the door!

I just want to let you guys know you made a big impact on those kids. Some of them were in the next hour social studies class I was covering and that is all they were talking about before class started.

As far as most influential teachers, I would have to say that is pretty subjective.
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Nat P. would of course be Nat Prager who was the 2nd trumpet in the New York Philharmonic for many years (during Vacchiano's tenure). Wilmer Wise studied with him. I wish he was still posting here to give us some insights about his teaching style.

Go to page 6 of the article about Frank Kaderabek for a picture of Nat Prager.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: