• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The most influential trumpet teacher of all time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
allstarbugler
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Reaban wrote:
allstarbugler wrote:
From "The Best of Ernest S. Williams":

...Milton Davidson, 1st trpt. Dallas Symp...

Do you have dates for his tenure in Dallas? I'm guessing from sometime in the 1930s to the mid to late 1940s.

Hi Derek,

Sorry but I do not but I am sure that Gil Mitchell has an idea. I'll give him a call and get back to you. What I do know is that Louis and Milton were brothers. I met Milton's son at Dillon's one day last year.

Mark
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!

I've read Ron Modell's bio information and he mentions that "His first mentors were his uncles, Louis Davidson (principal trumpet of the Cleveland Orchestra) and Milton Davidson (principal of the Dallas Symphony)."

I was hoping that you might have the information. I know that the Dallas Public Library has many of the old DSO programs, but they're not well enough organized to get to the information quickly. I'm hoping to get all of the details from them in the future, but I thought if you happened to know I would ask.

Thanks in advance for checking with Gil Mitchell!
Jon Baker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allstarbugler wrote:

From "The Best of Ernest S. Williams":

Many of my most talented pupils have been using this routine for years. To mention a few;

... Sidney Beckerman (AKA Sid Baker) 1st trpt, Chicago Symph; ...

Dad was not all that thrilled to study under Williams. He was taught by Schlossberg for a few years, until Schlossberg's death in 1935. Schlossberg got him into Juilliard at the age of 15, in the regular program - they didn't have the pre-college program yet. Dad wanted to study with Vacchiano, who was younger and had a more contemporary style, but they stuck him with Williams for the first two years, and only in the last year did he get to study with Vacchiano.

Dad had a hellish commuting life during that period: he lived in Boro Park, studied days at Juilliard on West 122nd St., and nights at High School of Commerce on West 67th St. (where the new Juilliard dorm tower is), then back to Brooklyn to sleep.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
In 50 years I believe most of the other names mentioned will be forgotten unlike Claude's.
Jeff

I think the name and influence of Bill Adam will not be so quickly erased. What great trumpet teacher(s) did he have?

Ray
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Purtle wrote:
In 50 years I believe most of the other names mentioned will be forgotten unlike Claude's.
Jeff

I doubt it...I think quite a number of people listed here will be remembered for quite a long time, mostly because we live in the information age. One can readily pick up books authored by a lot of the people mentioned on this thread. Also, it's not as though we have a world full of Claude Gordon disciples out there and nothing else. I would be willing to bet that Bill Adam, William Vacchiano, Arnold Jacobs, Vincent Cichowicz, and others will be remembered for a lot longer than you seem to think they will, because their students carry on their legacy just as you carry on Claude's. Like it or not, there are other methods out there just as valid as Claude's, and there are a LOT of famous players and teachers out there that didn't study with Claude. I can appreciate your enthusiasm for your teacher, but that kind of statement is far-fetched at best.
deleted_user_56590f0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Let's not forget Bo Nilsson, Pierre Thibaud, Cliff Lillya, and Ren Schilke.
I'd add them to the Caruso, Stamp, Jacobs, Cichowicz, Vacchiano list.

Fun thread,
EC
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ed.

Thibaud died last year, but Bo Nilsson is still active and kicking - both as a teacher and player (with Malmo Symphonic Orchestra, Sweden).

In the German DVD about Håkan Hardenberger you can see Nilsson and Thibaud. Bo was Håkans first teacher before he went to Paris to Pierre Thibaud. Håkan began studying the trumpet at the age of eight with Bo Nilsson.

Two other outstanding Nordic trumpeters went to Bo Nilsson, Danish Michael Brydenfelt and Norwegian Ole Edvard Antonsen.

Ole
hunsicker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj wrote:

In the German DVD about Håkan Hardenberger you can see Nilsson and Thibaud.

Hmm, what DVD is this? (Doesn't sound like the "Night at the Opera" one that I have.) When you say "German" I'm guessing that you mean "German-produced" which probably implies PAL and might imply "German-language audio" and European-region-encoding. Any English language tracks or subtitles?

Any details to make this easier to find? I probably want it regardless of the available language tracks or subtitles.
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German spoken, no english text, but Håkan speak english during the whole portrait.

The opening title on the video says:

Hakan Hardenberger
Der Mann mit der Trompete

I got a DVD copy from a friend in Germany. I can ask him for more details.

Ole
P.S.
DVD zones are no problem (at least for me). I use "zone free" players.
hunsicker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks --- looking forward to hearing more. Me too on the zone-free (and both PAL/NTSC) player. So nice to have -- too many things (like this) don't get released here.

So sounds like I'll be getting this as soon as I can find out what it is (enough to google for a source). [I'll start with the above -- maybe that'll be enough]
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked - there is no DVD for sale from that Portrait of Hardenberger, it was on TV and somone made a DVD copy of it. Pity, it was a very interesting portrait.

Ole
Tom Straight
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Mrs. Vincent
2) Mrs. Walters
3) Mr. Fred Hayes

Mrs. Vincent put the horn in my hand in 4th grade, Mrs. Walters taught me in 5th & 6th grade, and Mr. Hayes was my teacher and band director in 7-12th grade. They changed my world for ever.
jvdtpt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: The most influential teacher of all time Reply with quote

Ghitalla
jvdtpt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: The most influential teacher of all time Reply with quote

Ghitalla
iskander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted also to mention some influential teachers from Russia:
2 German trumpet/cornet players who had very successful areers in Russia--Wurm and Brandt
Then Tabakov, Adamov, Vasilevsky, Orvid, Eryomin, Dokshizer, etc. in Moscow;
Johanson, Gordon, Vetrov, Margolin, Bol'shoyanov, etc. in Leningrad/St. Petersburg.

Check out the last pages of my paper, where I tried to compile the list of Russian trumpet players/teachers (it probably should be updated, but it is still quite accurate):
www.library.unt.edu/theses/open/ 20031/akhmadullin_iskander/dissertation.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: