• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet players that smoke?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many of you smoke?
yes
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
no
68%
 68%  [ 71 ]
i used to but i quit
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
i am mainly a social smoker
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 104

trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Trumpet players that smoke? Reply with quote

just curious about how many trumpet players here acutally smoke or have smoked

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb
Schilke c from experimental period with CSO
Blessing Artist Series Flugel

I'll ognore you anyday baby
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only 3 votes??? c'mon guys!

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I value my health (what little of it I have) and voted as such

I am asthmatic and I know what smoking would do to my health - which isn't great at the best of times.

A fellow local teacher is both very asthmatic and a smoker. He has to cancel almost as many lessons as he is able to give. When his students complain to me, it is very hard not to just say that he is an idiot and that they should find someone else to teach them, if they actually want to have any lessons in the near future.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how true
i too am among the asthmatic trumpet population....
and i firmly believe asthma should be illegal!

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

MrAndy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't smoke personally, but I believe Schlueter smokes a pipe.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asthma and an allergy to smoke...so I don't think I'll ever smoke anything.

<storytime>

Last Tuesday before sixth hour (about 1:45pm) I went to the little ladies room at school. I walked in and was over taken by the smell of smoke...but it didn't smell like cigarettes. I did my business and washed my hands, which meant I was in the smoke for about three minutes...I tried to hang around and find out who the idiot was who would smoke pot in a school bathroom during school, but I was begginning to feel very strange and decided to go back to class. I told the teacher and sat down in my seat. I had a really bad headache, I was dizzy, and I couldn't concentrate on anything! I felt so stupid!

I hope they caught the idiot who was smoking weed in the bathroom. That's just inconsiderate, moronic, and just plain stupid to do...especially in the middle of school!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
trumpetgirl612
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehh my school everyone knows which bathrooms are for the pot smokers and if ur not one of them, you just avoid that particular set of bathrooms lol

~*~
Olds Ambassador Bb
Bach 43 LR Bb

cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see why a trumpet player would choose to smoke. It is beyond my comprehension.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:
I cannot see why a trumpet player would choose to smoke. It is beyond my comprehension.

Neither can I, but there are many out there, and a surprisingly large number of wind playing Music College students (and professionals for that matter) seem to here in the UK.

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richiebee wrote:
the smokey atmosphere is gross... club gigs are gross. The cost is massive. I've helped (in a very tiny way) support a ban of smoking in bars, and it's finally coming to Newfoundland...

Passive smoking as a trumpet player in bar gigs is the worst. Some UK players will have heard of my half-uncle, the one and only Roy Castle. He was a none smoker, but died of lung cancer which was attributed to doing gigs in smokey clubs.

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get really nauseus (sp?) around smokers. it really sucks, at some gigs our band has, there are people that smoke. we don't play at bars or anything, but the occasional show on college campuses have quite the number of smokers and drinkers.
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking is just plain stupid. Why anybody would want to do it I have no idea.

Plus I have bad allergies and might have asthma(haven't been checked out yet).
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith

Last edited by Rondawg on Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
I have asthma and an allergy to smoke...so I don't think I'll ever smoke anything.

<storytime>

Last Tuesday before sixth hour (about 1:45pm) I went to the little ladies room at school. I walked in and was over taken by the smell of smoke...but it didn't smell like cigarettes...I tried to hang around and find out who the idiot was who would smoke pot in a school bathroom during school, but I was begginning to feel very strange and decided to go back to class. I told the teacher and sat down in my seat. I had a really bad headache, I was dizzy, and I couldn't concentrate on anything! I felt so stupid!

I hope they caught the idiot who was smoking weed in the bathroom. That's just inconsiderate, moronic, and just plain stupid to do...especially in the middle of school!

Lara

Maybe if we had more liberal laws regarding marijuana people would not have to sneak around and do it. I do not think it shoul be used in school, but I would not seek out those that did fire up a doobie in the bathroom.

Tell me, what would you have done if you would have found out who did burn the joint in the potty? Turn them in? Good way to get beat-up, or even killed in some cities. Sometimes it is best to ignore certain things lest you want to risk physical harm being inflicted upon you.

I also do not understand why you would "hope they caught the idiot." Your culture has conditioned you into thinking that cannibis sativa is the "devil's weed," there are other things that are much more destructive to our society. Maybe the guilty party is in need of some serious psychological help. Them being turned in would have done nothing but add more trauma to her life--our systems locks them up instead of trying to get at the source of "Why are you blowing weed?" or "Why do you hurt inside?"

I am not saying you should try pot, that is your choice alone, but it might not hurt if you showed more tolerance towards those who use it. Granted, people under the age of 18 should not use it, but for all others it should be an individual choice.

I just read that kids are turning away from pot use, and stealing the narcotics from mom and pop's medicine cabinet instead. I think we have just gone from bad to worse. Kids don't want to be partying with opiates, because they then mix them with booze and next thing you know junior is laying dead on the curb (happened about a month ago here--metadone and booze.)

At anyrate, remember that very few people like a snitch.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a parent I worry about the effects of the drug culture on our kids. Meth, ice, crack, black gum opium (someone please tell me why this is making a comeback, 6 arrests in our county in the past week alone) use is all escalating out of control.

Back in the good old days, I don't think I knew anyone who didn't at least try pot. Some liked it occasionally, some hated it, some didn't care and some abused it to their own detriment. But I don't remember anybody getting shot over a bag of dope, or 15 year old girls tricking to buy a dime bag. My cousin is retired DEA, and he said he longed for the old days when drug interdiction meant busting some hippie with a couple of bales in his sailboat. Today the interdiction boats get shot at regularly, and can't come up with a safe boarding approach due to the numbers of heavily armed coke dealers willing to try to shoot it out, then run for international waters.

Back to the subject. As I have said before, I smoke, and am the biggest hypocrite in the universe about it. I think it should be banned in all public places, especially resturants, and people who help minors buy cigerettes should be treated as drug dealers. It is the only legal mass produced, mass marketed product I know of that if used exactly in the manner it was designed to be used, will eventually kill you. If you don't think it is addicting, let me clue you in. I have 3 kids I love, a great wife, a good life, and everything in the world to live for. Every time I light up, I am subtracting 7 to 10 minutes from the back side of my life, and relegating the last 10 years of my life to continually deteriorating health due to smoking.
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
silverstar wrote:

<storytime>

Last Tuesday before sixth hour (about 1:45pm) I went to the little ladies room at school. I walked in and was over taken by the smell of smoke...but it didn't smell like cigarettes...I tried to hang around and find out who the idiot was who would smoke pot in a school bathroom during school, but I was begginning to feel very strange and decided to go back to class. I told the teacher and sat down in my seat. I had a really bad headache, I was dizzy, and I couldn't concentrate on anything! I felt so stupid!

Lara

Maybe if we had more liberal laws regarding marijuana people would not have to sneak around and do it. I do not think it shoul be used in school, but I would not seek out those that did fire up a doobie in the bathroom.

Tell me, what would you have done if you would have found out who did burn the joint in the potty? Turn them in? Good way to get beat-up, or even killed in some cities. Sometimes it is best to ignore certain things lest you want to risk physical harm being inflicted upon you.

I also do not understand why you would "hope they caught the idiot." Your culture has conditioned you into thinking that cannibis sativa is the "devil's weed," there are other things that are much more destructive to our society. Maybe the guilty party is in need of some serious psychological help. Them being turned in would have done nothing but add more trauma to her life--our systems locks them up instead of trying to get at the source of "Why are you blowing weed?" or "Why do you hurt inside?"

I am not saying you should try pot, that is your choice alone, but it might not hurt if you showed more tolerance towards those who use it. Granted, people under the age of 18 should not use it, but for all others it should be an individual choice.

I just read that kids are turning away from pot use, and stealing the narcotics from mom and pop's medicine cabinet instead. I think we have just gone from bad to worse. Kids don't want to be partying with opiates, because they then mix them with booze and next thing you know junior is laying dead on the curb (happened about a month ago here--metadone and booze.)

At anyrate, remember that very few people like a snitch.

ok, i agree with everything you said except, "very few people like a snitch." even though it does nothing to help the whole problem as a whole, you can't just let stuff like that go. maybe small things like that yes, but we have a problem at our school of stolen ipods. I'd hate to have my friend know who stole my ipod and not even tell me, in fear that he would get beat up.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get beat up I don't care. Breaking the law is breaking the law and it's wrong.

We had an instance last year with someone who lit up a joint in one of the other girls bathrooms...my friend who has almost uncontrollable and lifethreatening asthma was in the same place. The smoke triggered an asthma attack and they had to call an ambulance.

Smoking pot is wrong and against the law. Breaking the law is wrong.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
If I get beat up I don't care. Breaking the law is breaking the law and it's wrong.

We had an instance last year with someone who lit up a joint in one of the other girls bathrooms...my friend who has almost uncontrollable and lifethreatening asthma was in the same place. The smoke triggered an asthma attack and they had to call an ambulance.

Lara

You go girl! I like to think I would have done the same thing.

If you want to break the law, it's your choice. If you do it in public hopefully there will be some people who will stand on the side of the right.
Yoder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:

Lara

Oh, if you get a good beating you will care. You will hurt.

Not all laws are just laws. As a citizen of a democratic state you should question all laws that infringe upon individual rights--the current drug prohibition infringes upon individual rights. Smoking of all forms should be banned in public.

Once it was against the law for a black man to drink from the white man's fountain.

Same sex civil unions are legal in Connecticut now. Will you support the law if you visit the state?

A woman has the right to abort a fetus? Do you support the law?

Regarding snitches. If one is trying to retrieve personal property that has been stolen then that is not snitching. Here personal rights have been violated and personal rights must be preserved and protected--that is the only justifiable purpose of the existence of the state. I define snitching as turning someone in for a trivial matters that really do not violate anyones individual rights, but rather challenge socially acceptable norms: smoking in the bathroom, telling on those that ditched school, etc.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder wrote:
silverstar wrote:

Lara

Oh, if you get a good beating you will care. You will hurt.

Not all laws are just laws. As a citizen of a democratic state you should question all laws that infringe upon individual rights--the current drug prohibition infringes upon individual rights. Smoking of all forms should be banned in public.

Once it was against the law for a black man to drink from the white man's fountain.

Same sex civil unions are legal in Connecticut now. Will you support the law if you visit the state?

A woman has the right to abort a fetus? Do you support the law?

Regarding snitches. If one is trying to retrieve personal property that has been stolen then that is not snitching. Here personal rights have been violated and personal rights must be preserved and protected--that is the only justifiable purpose of the existence of the state. I define snitching as turning someone in for a trivial matters that really do not violate anyones individual rights, but rather challenge socially acceptable norms: smoking in the bathroom, telling on those that ditched school, etc.

And here we have the crux of the problem.

In society it is not the right of the citizen to choose which laws to obey. It is the right to change the laws that don't make sense through the lawful mechanisms defined in any country's laws.

If you choose to ignore a law, even for reasons of conscience, you are in the wrong.

If there are socially acceptable norms, and I argue that ditching school is not, smoking in the bathroom is not, then the laws should be changed to reflect the social norms.

Unfortunately we have seen people in power choosing to ignore the laws of the land and getting away with it. This has helped lead to this misguided attitude where the individuals think they can choose which laws they want to obey.

I guess what I am saying is that if you choose to break the law, stop whining and knocking those who obey it and pay the consequences when you get caught.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoder,

I won't care if I hurt. I would have done the right thing. Somebody has to stand up for what is right, no matter what the cost.

You, my friend, are a believer in grey areas when it comes to laws...moral relativism I believe is what it's called.

The law is the law. It is black and white. There is good and there is bad.

Since when is smoking pot a right? Just because you choose to do something doesn't make it ok or legal Using your logic, it's my right to kill someone if I want to. It's my right to steal something I want.

Pot is an illegal substance and to smoke it you are breaking the law. Smoking cigarettes in public, though very rude and inconsiderate, is perfectly fine because tobacco is a legal substance and you aren't breaking the law if you smoke it.

Lara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: