• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shorter valve strokes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Shorter valve strokes Reply with quote

I know the V1 has them, but I'm not a fan of that horn. I noticed that Wayne Bergeron's horn also has shorter valve strokes.

Is this a rare technique? Has it been done on any other horns? I personally think it's a good idea.
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some horns only appear to have short strokes, either by the optical illusion caused by finger buttons with bigger diameters or by metal that comes up higher than the spot where the button goes down to. I researched this earlier and it turned out that most makes have very similar stroke length.

Early Benge instruments had a longer stroke than most (especially the CG model) and a few companies had a slightly shorter stroke, but none can escape what happens when you make it seriously shorter while keeping the piston the same diameter: port tubing interference and distortion. Only one company I know of addresses the issue by making the piston diameter larger. I think it's called Wedgewood, or something like that.
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Kanstul 1600 in my home last month for several days and I didn't notice a shorter stroke. I did notice wide diameter finger buttons. Maybe your horn was different.
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at the pics on the Wild Thing website and this horn appears to be built around a standard Kanstul valve cluster. I don't see a short throw here at all.
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree the standard 1600 doesn't have them, but I can see that Wayne's definately does. There's a video of him playing with the Big Phat Band, and the strokes are very short, even when compared to a V1.
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference this and tell me what a Vintage One's stroke is:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30655&highlight=valve+stroke

I don't think I have it on the list of horns I've measured up to now.

Last edited by Bill Bryant on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played most of those horns Bill, but the V1's strokes are definately shorter than normal.
jsmn4vu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chief wrote:
I haven't played most of those horns Bill, but the V1's strokes are definately shorter than normal.

You understand that the minimum stroke in all conventional valves is the distance between the tops or bottoms of matching piston ports, right?
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the technical details, but that makes sense to me John.
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I purchased my Kanstul CHI1070, I played a CHI1001. It definitely had shorter valve throws. My 1070 does not.

Tim
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The piston stroke on my 60s Conn 38B and 8B was shorter than other trumpets. I think Conn accomplished this because the bore was smaller (.438) and they designed the ports closer together.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Tempo-rary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shorter valve strokes Reply with quote

the chief wrote:
.......shorter valve strokes.........I personally think it's a good idea.

Chief, please elaborate.
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You understand that the minimum stroke in all conventional valves is the distance between the tops or bottoms of matching piston ports, right?

This does have to be measured vertically (as the piston travels). But does it allow for the ports to be displaced horizontally, thereby reducing the vertical travel?
Regards,
NMex
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about short valve strokes.... has anyone actually MEASURED to see what the valve stroke is? Or how (in)significant it can be?

It's easy... just stand a machinists rule vertically above a valve and note the measurement "valve up" and "valve down" (measuring at the edge of the valve button) and take the difference. No need to even pull the valve out of the casing.

You will be amazed, possibly even shocked at how small the difference can be.

I measured a Bauerfine valve block and a Schilke. They differ by 0.5 mm. That's two one-hundredths of an inch. Kind of "insignificant" I'd say.
jsmn4vu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMex wrote:
This does have to be measured vertically (as the piston travels). But does it allow for the ports to be displaced horizontally, thereby reducing the vertical travel?

You'd think so, but in conventional valve designs, there will always need to be a pair of ports along the same vertical line (there have to be valve ports lined up with the input and output ports of the valve cylinder in both the up and down positions). Another limiting factor is how close ports can be spaced vertically, because of interference between the tubes in the valve body. Even now, they often have bumps in them for clearance.

Last edited by jsmn4vu on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"valve up - valve down" = valve stroke.

Richie, you mentioned the short valve stroke on Yamaha and your Conn. What where the physical measurements?

I got Bauerfine at 14.5 mm and Schilke at 15.0. I think I remember my Eterna 800 cornet as being 15.5 but I'd have to go home and recheck them to be certain.

Last edited by Tootsall on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsmn4vu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just measured the stroke on a Kanstul ZKT1500 with a machinist's dial gauge. It's
.608 in.
or
15.443 mm
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsmn4vu wrote:
NMex wrote:

You'd think so, but in conventional valve designs, there will always need to be a pair of ports along the same vertical line (there has to be a valve port lined up with the input and output ports of the valve cylinder in both the up and down positions). Another limiting factor is how close ports can be spaced vertically, because of interference between the tubes in the valve body. Even now, they often have bumps in them for clearance.

The number of vertically paired ports should not affect the distance the piston needs to travel. Think of it this way, in order for the valve to open the pipe the port on the valve must line up with the port on the tubing.

Also ports for the intake and exhaust from the tubing must both be lined up when the valve is open.

So the maximum the valve must travel, in this simple example, is the diameter of one port.

Perhaps the effect you are describing is due to the needing to switch the incoming air stream from diverting to the extra tubing or passing it on to the next valve or bell?
jsmn4vu
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Think of it this way, in order for the valve to open the pipe the port on the valve must line up with the port on the tubing.

Yes. But instead of "open" or "closed," it's probably better to think of "straight through " or "diverted" (valve up or valve down). The valve is always open in one direction or another.
LittleRusty wrote:
Also ports for the intake and exhaust from the tubing must both be lined up when the valve is open.

Down, I think you mean. But keep in mind that intake and exhaust must also both be aligned when the valve is UP, therefore...
LittleRusty wrote:

So the maximum the valve must travel, in this simple example, is the diameter of one port.

PLUS the width of metal between the two (invariably) vertically adjoining ports on the piston.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the vertically aligned ports are the intake for either the extended tubing or the pass-through port, where the air is diverted to.

Yes, that would explain your point.

Sorry, I knew I was missing something, I should have thought of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: